"deep dish" wheels

yoursymphonyinc

I think deepdish style wheels would look great on a 165 (like BMW style wheels), anybody done it? have pictures? have any recomendations on tires/wheels that look good in this style?

Gary

I'm not sure if there is enough space in the fender well on our car. If you put small offset wheel on our car, wheel will stuck out of the fender well. I have seen a deep dish on an ST185, It was Bob's car.

bob.JPG

turbo4wd

Gary":1afe4xyk said:
I'm not sure if there is enough space in the fender well on our car. If you put small offset wheel on our car, wheel will stuck out of the fender well. I have seen a deep dish on an ST185, It was Bob's car.

Was Bob ever able to double check and verify his size/offset on those? If I remember he said he had 16x9 with a 30mm offset?

CMS-GT4

Bob and Cruise Japan inspired me to shoot for wider rims on the car. Cruise Japan has 9.5" rims on thier st185. I only want 8-8.5" so that I can run 245 width tires. I want the gram lights, but there is a cool version of the te37 that looks like it is dipped into the wheel, making it look even wider. I am thinking gram lights since they look almost like my stock wheels, they will jsut need a repaint to match the color.

turbo4wd

Bob said he had the fenders rolled in the rear, but NOT in the front. He said there werent any issues with the wheels in the front.

Showkemp

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and at first I'd like to say Hi to everyone.
I'm have a 91' Celica Carlos Sainz Ltd. Edition. It's European spec. and as You probably know, it's 4wd turbo, just like alltrac in US.

I know that this tread is about st165, but I had deep dish wheels on my st185 and maybe those photos will give You some ideas. They looked eye-catching, but I didn't liked the 'german' style of those wheels, it just didn't fit on this car to me.

PS. Sorry for "my" English. :wink:

Celica003incognito.JPG

Celica004incognito.JPG

Gary

Welcome!
Actually, they don't look that bad.
What are the spec of those wheel?

By the way, I thought that the CS were offered in 1992?

Showkemp

Gary":2a4hzi4g said:
Welcome!
Actually, they don't look that bad.
What are the spec of those wheel?

By the way, I thought that the CS were offered in 1992?

The wheels were 16"/9", i don't remember the offset at the moment.

You are right about the Year, I should wrote 92'. It's a model year 92' but production date is the end of 91'. :)

roo

Here's the mail i got from Jim about his crazy wheels i love so much:

Hi, Roo,

No problem. I've got 17 inch rims all around. The front rims measure 81/2 inches w/ a 35mm offset. I used 215-40 x 17 inch tires w/ no rubbing problem at all. I'm not using any spacers for the front.

The rear is using 10 inch rims w/ a 30mm offset. I'm using 235-40 x 17 tires on these. (I REALLY SHOULD BE USING 245-35X17 because of rolling radius issues and the fact that different rolling radiuses front and rear are bad for our drivetrain's health).

Now, in order for these to fit in the back without the inner rim rubbing against the strut, I installed a set of 25mm H&R hub adaptors (DRM). After that I tried peeking underneath to see how much clearance I had between the inner rim and the strut and it looked like i had about 1/2 inch clearance. But i have no clearance problems. The rear rim sticks out just a little too much for my liking. I think if I change my spacers to 3/4 instead of 1 inch it will be perfect. As far the front is concerned, it's perfect.

Now if you're going to install the super wide body kit (SAVAGE?) then you'd probably need 1 inch spacers for the front and 21/2 inch for the rear.

Keep in mind though Roo that my car is not lowered. I plan to lower it soon. I suspect i will have some fender lip clearance problems but a fender lip roller should fix that.

Some folks want to protect their rims from getting scratched or scraped so they order fatter tires. I prefer the opposite which is to expose the edge of the rim a little bit. That's why my tire sizes are conservative.

If i were to do it all over again, I would order the same configuration for the front (81/2 x17 w/ 35mm offset) but for the rear i would order 17 x 10 but w/ the 20mm offset. I had this option w/ my rims but they were not available at the time i ordered.

I think with this setup you won't need the rear spacers to clear the rear struts.

HTH... Email me anytime Roo. I'd be more than happy to give you whatever info i have.

Cheers,

jim