Any Experience with ground control?

SuperWhite92

I'm looking for an affordable solution, and I remember that ground control made sleeve-over coil overs for our car. Does anyone here have any experience with how they work, or what the part number is? I don't see our car in the catalog, unless it is the same as the N/A 2wd celicas, which kind of scares me. Is it possible to get better spring rates? I'm looking for an affordable suspension for the time being, and ground controls seem to be well liked in other applications. For the time being, I will be placing them on stock struts, although they might be new stock struts.
BTW, 1992 ST185.

toytech

I have a set on my mr2 and they work just fine. Since they use standard coilover type springs it is realy easy to change spring rates. I run them with tokico illumina's. There are two kinds, one that you just set on the tock perch, and one with a weld on ring that you put on after removing the stock perch, mine are slipons.

d1alltrac

im thinking about getting some of these too...

if they come with struts for that price thats a great deal...i thought i had seen them around for that price for only the spring and threaded perch...

can someone recommend a good spring rate for a 165? im not sure if i want these but they're so much cheaper than anything else w/ height adjustability...and they have eibach springs so they cant be bad right? :shrug:

Cormudgen

I seriously doubt they come with struts for that price.

I do have some experince with Ground Controls.

I had them on a 6th gen celica. All and all they were good, but I wouldnt recomend them. They don't come with a bearing kit which means MUCH annoying popping noises coming from upfront with turning the steering wheel. I guess that and the price compared to regular sprngs doesn't justify them to me.

As for putting them on stock struts. Don't even waste your time doing the instalation twice. My struts were blown within a month or two.

I'm not 100% sure about my own opinion though. As annoying as that pop was, you can solve that with a bearing kit that Evil speed makes(at an additional $80 cost) or by supposedly lubing them once a month. I did have a lot less body roll using them than when I changed the Ground Control/stock struts combo for KYB AGX/Eibach Sportline combo. So, its really up to you. If you can justify the extra cost and live with the annoying pop: go for it.

I know there was a thing about fitting tein st185 coilovers on st165's, would it basically be the same with ground control? just wondering. would be nice to have the option.

d1alltrac

scandinavian link":1ha7v3l7 said:
I know there was a thing about fitting tein st185 coilovers on st165's, would it basically be the same with ground control? just wondering. would be nice to have the option.

you wouldn't have to...ground control has seperate kits for the 165 and the 185...

the link to the 185 one is in a post above and heres the link to the 165 ones:http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=90

i wonder what it would be like with the ground controls and the whiteline works minus the springs...idk ill have to keep saving or something

huh, didn't know that! haha. silly me. i've never heard anyone mention it as an option.

hmm. personally i'm thinking of whiteline swaybars and strut braces, kyb agx inserts with ground control coilovers.... :shrug:

tweekgt4

GCs are just sleeves, collars, and springs (you can choose). they do not come with struts/shocks. you should also know what kind of struts/shocks you will be using during the install because the top hat needs to be a certain hole to fit theh strut/shock shaft.

as for my opinion, get real coilovers or lowering springs. don't get the sleeve on coilover setups. there isn't enough travel in the rear of the alltrac with the sleeve on coilover system.

real coilovers run about 1200+, while lowering springs run about 100+.

hmm. well, i can't afford 1200. and i don't want to be lowered all the time (too much back road and rallycross action to bottom out on.

so i spose i'll just have to stick with the stockers then. oh well, saves me money i guess.