Oem torsen LSD test (Need volunteers)

CMS-GT4

Ok, so I have been doing some reading and I want to test out if this is a method to determine if you have lsd w/o opening the case.

I need a volunteer who knows they have a torsen in the rear and a volunteer of a known open lsd.

We need to try TEST 2. If this works, this might be a great help to the community.

How can you tell it's a TORSEN?
Well I'm no expert but there were a few obvious traits - stock Toyota diffs are TORSEN or open wheel - sometimes a diff might be changed internally with a mechanical action diff. TRD or CUSCO etc - When Juzza got his diff he scored one of these diffs by accident, on sharp slow turns the inside wheel chirps and squeals a little bit as it tries to keep up with the outside wheel - a TORSEN diff is super smooth. Anyway on the wrecker showroom floor the TORSEN diff has differences to an open wheel diff. With a TORSEN LSD on a workshop floor there are a couple of tests to do.

First is the spin one axle and the other axle spins same way - Torsen. If the other axle spins other way then go to test 2.

Test 2
Spin the input shaft of the diff. One wheel will may spin freely with the other stationary. I can hold one axle still, spin input shaft and the other axle will spin free. If I try to stop the spinning axle with my leg, just let the spinning axle rub my calf for example - the axle I am holding still with my hand will instantly start spinning in same direction. As soon as any torque is applied to the spinning axle - torque is transferred to the stationary axle and they spin together. TORque SENsing.

A metical clutch type LSD or cone type LSD tends to spin both wheels in same direction the whole time to a degree. There isn't so much "free wheeling" as available in a TORSEN.
[/b]

Sifu

I have a torsen opened up and sitting in the back store room. I bought it off of Alcyon so if I can help let me know...

CMS-GT4

I think it needs to be in the car for this test. However, you might be able to test it outside of the car. Maybe if you can get someone to turn the input and hold both sides of the output (just one hard than the other) we can determine if this test works.

Sifu

Yeah I figured as much. Just trying to help out, I'll try rotating it anyways to see what I get.

CMS-GT4

Thanks. Let us know your results and if they match the description. I am curious how a known open diff reacts to the test in contrast.

darthripley

i'm 99.5% positive we have an open rear diff.
we already did the first test when we jacked the car up - the other axle spun the other way.
we can try the second test later this week or next weekend.

CMS-GT4

Keep us posted. The first test will never work on a torsen since a torsen becomes an open diff without load on both wheels.

darthripley

that's interesting -- didn't know that about the 1st test.
if we have time tommorrow we'll give the 2nd test a whirl & i'll report back with the results.

Conan

I will run test 2 on a torsen diff in a few days when my car is up in the air if I don't forget.

Denver_whiteST185

something i got from MR2OC.com

Does my MR2 have a LSD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot
Here are the facts about the MkII MR2 and LSD:

It was not available on '91-'92 models

It was offerred as an option beginning in '93

It was only available on the turbo (E153 tranny)

On LSD-equipped cars, the A/TM designation on the dataplate in the driver's door will be 733/e153, or 735/e153

It is a visous coupling and CANNOT be identified by jacking the car up and turning one wheel.

If you look into the axle port of a factory LSD tranny, there will be visible bar between the 2 sides.*
*E153 Trans only, ALL S54 transmissions have this bar...NO S54 has an OEM LSD.

bill

CMS-GT4

This old link has this info about door codes and lsds.

There are ST185 with rear Torsen differential and versions with LSD = Limited Slip Differential.
Codes:

E151F-767 = 5 speed manual with rear Torsen differential.
or
-737/E150F = 5 speed manual with viscous coupling LSD.

Those that know their car came with or without lsd, check the 3 digital code. This might help as well.

eddie_gt4

CMS-GT4":30t1z0kz said:

There are ST185 with rear Torsen differential and versions with LSD = Limited Slip Differential.
Codes:

or

Those that know their car came with or without lsd, check the 3 digital code. This might help as well.

my Celica is equiped with a E151F tranny & Torsen (767) :smokes:

copyofpicture004dh6.jpg

alltracman78

First off, I REALLY wish a mod would splice all these rear diff threads to one.
Or at least keep them in the same forum....
Anyways

CMS-GT4":2jg5pq6c said:

Codes:

or

Where is this link?