what size tires to buy?

903SGTE

i have an st185 with the new celica 16 inch rims.what size tire should i buy,tire rack says 205/50/16 but the originals were 215.has anyone put these rims and tires on there st185?

SuperWhite92

yep, 225/45/16. No sense in going smaller than stock. Also, I personally don't see the purpose of buying wheels unless you're at least getting bigger(wider) tires.

903SGTE

tire rack is telling me that the rim size of the 2000 celica is 6.5 wide and you shouldnt put anything wider than a 205 on that rim.

SuperWhite92

okay. I thought it was a 7" wide rim.
The stock alltrac rims are 6.5" wide, so you CAN fit a 225, but i would suspect that it would bubble around the edges.
In this new light, i would change to a 215mm wide tire.

BraveUlysses

SuperWhite92":3r9phnwo said:
yep, 225/45/16. No sense in going smaller than stock. Also, I personally don't see the purpose of buying wheels unless you're at least getting bigger(wider) tires.

There's a lot of reasons to get bigger wheels other than tire width. Sidewall height, size availability, tire compound and tire quality are a few.

Remember the contact patch square only changes its ratio between sides when you go to a wider tire, it doesn't actually get larger.

Furthermore, going to a wider tire with a sidewall of 45 means your gearing will be slightly taller, which will give you even slower acceleration at the gain of higher top speed.

tweekgt4

i had 225/50/16 tires on my mr2 and swapped those tires onto my alltrac rims a long time ago without checking the ratio.

my acceleration was slower. when i put my stock alltrac rims back on, the car feelt lighter and more nimble. havng oversized tires will slow you down!

anyways, 225 will fit on a 6.5" rim. being if you get 225/45/16 tires, the sidewall will not stick that much out. i tried 50 series which was a mistake but it was free. if i were to buy a new set of tires. it would be 225/45/17. but, i had sold the set of GTS rims and bought some 17s.

i have 215/40/17 on 17x7 now but after seeing some 235/40/17 on some 17x8s, i want 235/40/17s...