ST205 Front Brakes

Matty-st185

I just ran out quickly to check the lug nuts rotations ..

I counted 13 on it then I looked and noticed theses a
15mm spacer on there between the wheel and hub
If this is a bolt on spacer it explains the 13 rotations of the lug nut

When the rain stops I will remove the wheel to check
If it's bolt on ... I'm guessing it is and that the spacer
Lugs are a lot thinner in diameter than the normal
As they would have to be seated within the 15mm spacer to
Allow a flush mounting of the wheel ?

If my theory is correct and yours this means I would have to remove the spacer and put the wheel on to the hub check it
For the rotations as you said any less than 7turns would mean
No spacer or longer lugs have been added if that's the case

I need to order
st205 lugs ? Or do I because of the spacer ? If it's bolt on
Get a 4mm spacer made up or buy somewhere ?
And something to space the caliper out ? But I'm thinking how
Are these even on the car if this hasn't already been done ?

phattyduck

7 rotations is the MINIMUM you want for the lug nuts on the studs. More is better (or at least, not worse).

You really need to get clearance in there for the ball joint to the disk. When it interferes, it can do very bad things to other parts of the suspension (extra pressure on the wheel bearings, wheel studs, etc.) and it is unsafe.

As for the pad contact - that's normal when putting the ST205 calipers on non-ST205 hub carriers - the ST205 has a different mounting location that is farther 'out' from the hub than all the standard McPherson strut cars. The outer diameter of the disk has to be reduced to fit inside the caliper, and the pad contact is more towards the center when it is run this way.

Whether the brake bias and performance is optimal is another question... that depends on what other supporting changes were done with the brakes, and we won't be able to figure that one out over the internet.

-Charlie

Matty-st185

Cool ... Gotta get them back off to have a look and fix what someone else done
I'm almost thinking
Of just trying to find the standard brakes and put them
Back on .... Are the carlos sainz ones any bigger and a direct swap?

CSAlltrac

The 205 brake swap appears to be a GIANT headache with the presence of a possible catastrophic failure. I for one fail to see the appeal of it given these "cons". Why wouldn't one just go with either an over the counter option like K-sport, or do the Porsche calipers in conjunction with STI rotors. Both of those options have been proven and meet both end of the sprectrum, expensive(K-sports) as well as affordable (Porsche calipers)

athousandleaves

Some folks with the Porsche setup are also experiencing the same ball joint contact issue... So pony up for KSport or the AP calipers if you're doing the kind of driving that merits this setup.

Matty-st185

I just bought the car these 205 calipers were fitted by some moron incorrectly
I just want to have brakes lol

Are the carlos sainz calipers the same as the standard st185?

alltracman78

So I was hopping around the net and I found some info.
Apparently BRZ rotors are bolt on for the 6th gen with 205 calipers.
Which means FRS, and a few others probably fit too.
IMO they're too thin for us stock [24mm?] but if we could find some thicker aftermarket, or larger + caliper bracket? .................

Matty-st185

Not sure but I have removed my

St205 callipers
St205 discs
St205 brake pads

They are for sale £150 if anyone is interested
But I'm in Dublin Ireland will post at an extra cost

FC Zach

I wish I searched for a thread like this before purchasing a set of calipers off eBay. . Prior to purchasing I thought of this project as an easy to moderate weekend mod but after reading through 17 pages of comments I now have a different opinion. Seems as though there is no 'one' way to go about this conversion and that there are many vague options, opinions, and dead builds/kits.

Anyone that has completed this project care to shed some light on what parts were used (like spacers/studs/brake lines) and would you do it any differently? I'd like to mount the caliper directly to my ST185 hub (if possible) without the use of an adapter and would also like to know what rotors were used with little to no modification that are preferably easily sourced here in the states? Wheel fitment shouldn't be a concern of mine as I have 17s with spacers.

From what I've read, the rotor seems to be the biggest gray area, some people want to run a custom hybrid rotor while others are using OE parts. .

Thanks in advance and sorry to wipe the dust off an old topic.

This has been gone over so many times. Take the 205 rotors and have 10mm turned off the outer edge. Mill 2 mm off the caliper ears and put a 5 mm spacer behind the rotor. Wow its like going to the moon. Longer studs probably also, at your discretion.
BTW I have stock brakes for sale if you want them.

FC Zach

Rotors? Yes I'd like them, if shipping isn't too bad. Where is the best place to source these rotors new? I checked Rock Auto but none were available.

Matty-st185":2cf6laiu said:
Not sure but I have removed my

St205 callipers
St205 discs
St205 brake pads

They are for sale £150 if anyone is interested
But I'm in Dublin Ireland will post at an extra cost

You still got these?

If so please call me on 07765060087 or text me thanks.

freddie

My 165 has 205 calipers and discs on the rear. Front 205 Calipers with Lexus IS200 Discs. 165 Master cylinder and booster.
Technical help can be found on this site and I also had help thanks to fcZach.

Master Cylinder - pedal travels a bit more. (but I will be changing to a 205 master cylinder and booster soon)

Wheels - currently running 16x7.5 inch 3 piece with 30 offset. Yes on rear the calipers hit the inside of the wheel center,
so I run 25mm thick spacers. Clearance of rim to caliper (outwards) is about 15mm.