LSD

RIalltrac

i have read so many threads that start out this way and to be honest, no one can agree on how to figure it out without actually removing the rear diff cover and checking the internals of the diff itself.

CMS-GT4

Doing donuts, now that is just silly.
There are different ways to test different diffs.
Being you have a 165 you most likely do not have a rear lsd.
It is probable, though not confirmed that most US gt4s do not have a rear lsd.
Torsen is the type offered, while trd cusco and kaaz make a rear clutch type lsd for the cars.

The 185RC and 205 came standard with rear torsen.

Looks like I am going to have to re-write the lsd faq.

alltrac4life

First, since the car is awd shouldnt it have lsd no matter what?

Second, when i drop the clutch i leave four equal marks, so that means that i have lsd then right?

BraveUlysses

alltrac4life":12yx3tkh said:
First, since the car is awd shouldnt it have lsd no matter what?

Second, when i drop the clutch i leave four equal marks, so that means that i have lsd then right?

90 and 91's have only a viscous center coupler, but no front or rear LSDs. They have open front and rear diffs. 92 and 93's have a torsen-type rear LSD.

CMS-GT4

Question 1) Gt4 RC, CS, and Group A are all the same model. They are just badged differently for different contries. They all share the same chasis code which is 185RC.

2nd) Just casue a car has awd does not mean is has lsd. It has a differential, which is in most cases, an open type. The Gt4 has a center lsd called viscous lock. It has an open front and rear diff. Rear lsd is the only factory option. TRD made a front and center diff combo that ran in the range of 4k. It was a viscous coupling unit. Quaife makes a front lsd the gt4. The only true way to test a torsen type lsd, which is what is in the rear is to open it and examine it. Clutch diffs are the type you can jack up the wheels to test.

silverarrow

Clutch types aren't the only ones, all lsd's can be tested the same way by jacking up the car whether it's vlsd, helical, or clutch lsd.

CMS-GT4

How can that be.

When you jack up a car with torsen and rotate the tires it will act as an open diff. It has to have power applied to split it, therefore the same technique used to determine clutch type will not work for torsen. Torsen also require load. Unless there is restance on both wheels it will become an open diff as well. That is why they do not work with one wheel in the air during driving. They will also not work with both wheels in the air.

silverarrow

You stand correct Coldiron :D I did a bit more research on Torsen types and they do need load to make both wheels lock. Seems to me like the torsen types are similar to the phantom grip lsd's hehe

But I'm sure I do stand correct about the vlsd, helical, and clutch lsd though.

CMS-GT4

I am not sure on visouc coupling. The weird thing about viscous lock is that it uses a standard open diff. with a ring around the shaft that is the lsd. So I am unsure on if that test would work or not. I wish their was better info for diffs online.

silverarrow

I'm sure on the vlsd because I come from the nissan family and most of their vehicles come stock with vlsd's. That's the only way to test to see which car had vlsd or not by jacking up the rear and spin the wheels. I fortunately have a clutch lsd in my 240sx though. Got tired of looking for a stock vlsd unit and most had high mileage too.

Sifu

Just a side note, Cusco LSD's run in the range of $800 per unit... That's the qoute I got with a Cusco discount... Spendy lil' buggers...

Sifu

Sifu":eq7qc3wz said:
Just a side note, Cusco LSD's run in the range of $800 per unit... That's the qoute I got with a Cusco discount... Spendy lil' buggers...

*EDIT*
Forgot to mention, Cusco makes them in 1, 1.5, and 2 way engagement...