st165 suspension upgrade Q... i'm newbie

How should I raise money for my suspension?

• Sell my body, turning tricks where I can

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell my Organs, Turning drug additicts and old people into born-again-christians

• raise money? screw that, take the suspension from somebody else's car...

• Total voters

yoursymphonyinc

So, i dont know jack about the 165's suspension, other than i've heard something about new struts not fitting correctly into it... i need new suspension. right now its soft, too high and needs way faster dampening.

coincidentally, i'm whorishly poor being a college student. but i have an equally whorish job at the library working for next to nothing... by spring i'll have enough for suspension i think.

point being: i'm looking for moderation, middle ground, the cheap way out! i see on 935's site, B+G springs are $189, sounds cheap to me, are they crap?

how about struts, makes sense to do the whole thing while i'm down there and its all ripped apart... what's a cheap way to go for the 165? i dont need anything super tight, i'm not going to go Offroad with it much, if at all. Maybe a little AutoXing, but nothing fancy, i just want to be able to enjoy long, fast, tight country roads where i drive....

also, what's the whole deal on how to install these things, what kinda stuff am i going to need to do this? warnings? thoughts? help? sorry i'm a newbie, but you were warned in the Subject line...

935motorsports

If you are on a budget, upgrade the struts and use the OEM springs for now.

If you want a little extra rate in the rear (like I did) for the back springs, you can put MR2 springs in which have a higher rate and are near free from buddies. You will have to cut a coil off to keep it at stock height.

Another option is installing ST185 stock rear springs. That will lower you slightly. If you play with springs from other Toyotas you can also get some from another car in the front of yours. There is lots of options for the DIY type person.

Unfortunately, even the cheapest strut upgrade is going to be expensive. In the end it's worth it though.