st205 rear strut fit our 185?

alltracshoak

as stated,will the rear st205 strut assembly fit out st185??looks like its the same.only the front strut assembly is different due to the super strut design.im thinking changing my rear end to a st205 with rear 205 brakes since my struts are shot

bozo-merlin

In fact if you plan to put a 205 rear drive train on a 185 you need the rear not to get a lot of camber so yes they fit

but if you only use 205 hub + rear strut on 185 drive train you will get a lot of positive camber.

alltracshoak

no if i plan on doing it i was going to run the whole rear end(subframe,control arm,hub,brake,etc)
what about the fronts??will i be able to change to superstrut if i change te whole fronts(ie spindle,brake,etc)

bozo-merlin

T20 use a front subframe whereas T18 arm bolt directly on chassis

everything is possible but it really not plug n play

i won't think doing something like this, do you know TTE swap SS for McPherson on the 205

phattyduck

Insanity-74":yb9rny8m said:
Someone on the GT4OC put an ST205 rear subframe, rear diff etc onto a CS...it was more or less a direct swap but it made the rear wheels stick out about an inch further on each side. Might be worth considering.

http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1020611
The extra 1" to 1.2" per side is perfect for most Alltrac guys - no more 25mm spacer to get the rear wheel well to be filled out!

(I have an ST205 rear subframe, arms and diff on my Alltrac Camry - I got about 3* extra camber with the swap, which I took out with camber bolts. The factory Alltrac Camry rear parts are the same as the ST165/ST185)

-Charlie

alltracshoak

was it a whole rear end ie(control arms,etc)
or just subframe and the stock camry arms ?iirc by looking at the 205 arms,they are longer

Insanity-74

alltracshoak":1xqus6a3 said:
or just subframe and the stock camry arms ?iirc by looking at the 205 arms,they are longer

Taken from the OC

Next stage was sorting the transmission drone which turned out to be the rear diff so decided to attempt fitting the rear end set up off the st205 mainly because the bushes sit compressed where as the 185 ones have a noticeable gap especially were the diff carrier mounts on the subframe so removed all the 185 subframe,arms,hubs,driveshafts,shockers,etc,everything was removed and compared with st205 equivalent

The conversion uncovered that you can fit the st205 subframe and diff carrier and diff also with no issues ,i.e. straight fit but the 4 arms that run from subframe to hub and the driveshafts are approximately 1 inch longer so would give an approximate 2 inch extra track width if you can be bothered to remove the mounts that secure the torsion bar that runs from hub to chassis and reweld them about an inch wider ,these torsion arms between these 2 models are identical incase anyone wants to know

I did`nt have time to be going as far as this at the moment so compromised on fitting st205 subframe,st205 diff,diff carrier and complete hubs and brakes in conjunction with the stock st185 driveshafts,arms and handbrake cables,fitting what i have mentioned here is all a straight fit that needs no modifications and makes a lot of difference ,ride quality is uncomparable to the oe set up ,a hell of a lot better ,pretty sure people that have driven it will comment on how well it drives and rides ,the car is now a pleasure to drive and a lot more fun

bozo-merlin

phattyduck":28dp70dz said:
The extra 1" to 1.2" per side is perfect for most Alltrac guys - no more 25mm spacer to get the rear wheel well to be filled out!
Agree with that, no more spacer on the rear.

but that's not 1" to 1.2" per side, 185 have 1440mm rear drive width, 205 have 1490, it's 50/2= 25mm
0.98" per side exactly.

As some knows too, spacer on the rear are awfull if the front still stock width on a 185, don't fear to put some spacer in the front to limit undesteering after your rear drive train swap ;)

phattyduck

alltracshoak":1itdagyn said:
The subframe and diff are the same (effectively, if not exactly). The arms add the track width. Make sure you get matching axles if you do this!

-Charlie