suspension ?? updates

MARLON1211

i have all the parts from my rear suspension from Toyota evrything i need to just take the old ones off (whole susup assembly)and put the new ones in. This is the question, when i put the Whiteline springs onto the strut and followed by the strut mount looks like i dont need to compressed the spring, cause theres alot of clearance for the bolt to come up to the center hole and put the nut and just tighten it to place. Is this right i tought i need to compress the springs and put it on the struts. It could be cause Whiteline springs are already lowedred compared to the stock OEm one. Or people do this bec. they need the old part out to reassemble it to the new ones. Am just curios if am doing it right. 90ST185.
The front also am getting a new complete assembly.
Thanks .Hope I made sense, cause am doing it myself, andI wanted to do t right.

RIalltrac

your putting the whiteline springs on stock struts? I would imagine you wouldnt have to compress the springs much, if at all, the length of the arm on the strut should probably reach without having to compress the whiteline spring. I'd like to hear how it rides with the stock struts and the lower springs.

MARLON1211

I will man, and youre right i dont need to compress the springs , like you said the the arm struts reaches to the strut mount and man by the way it looks it gotta be very low, well see I quess.

RIalltrac

well the springs will determine the ride height not the strut, the whitelines drop it quite a bit, forget it if you have people in the car, speed bumps are scary :evil: I'm just interested to see how the strut responds with the lowering spring in place. Dont throw away your old stock rear struts, you might need them for a future upgrade :wink:

MARLON1211

okay i got my susp installed,and too bad its snowing outside, couldnt really test it out on a clear road , but i really felt a more aggressive firm ride when i brought it home. Anyway the question is that my mechanic told me to ask if the spring manufacturer (whiteline) has an alignment specs for that particullar springs, cause the allignment shop will allign it on a stock OEM specification, hope i made sense , but is this right?
Or can i just allign it on OEM specs am not too familiar with the allignment area so pls let me know. Thanks..

RIalltrac

I'm not sure what you would mean by aligning the springs? alignments really only have to do with how your tires are contacting the road. I would just keep it to stock specs unless you have plans to race the car (which by the sounds of things you dont)

MARLON1211

I hear you, thats what I thought so, Am not sure what my mechanic really means when he says that the allighnment shop will do the alignment under Toyot specs, and he meant was since i have a lowering springs that might change it the a different specification, you know what I'll do I'll just go to ETD and just allign the car. I dont want to go too crazy. But am just happy that my susp is allready done, and man my old was was shot, cant even use any of the parts from the old struts even nuts or rubber gaskets.
Thank God i bought every little thing.

MARLON1211

i will. Listen this drops it a bit and it looks damn good, and now i need to measure the space bet the wheel fender and the tires so i an get some spacers. I'll keep you updated.

RIalltrac

I went with 20mm h&r spacers, they require you to pull the hub and replace the studs with longer ones, but for me personally it makes the rear wheels come out just enough. I think the 25mm are way easier to install but depending on your wheel offset might make the wheel too flush with the fender, which under certain situations could cause you to rub/bottom out on the lip of your fender.

MARLON1211

Question, now am scheduled to go for an alignment, but they still told me since I dropped it I may have thrown the alighnmet off bec. of the lowering springs, and may not guaranteed the alignment. Am still not sure what theyre talking about. and they said something about my chambers and whatsoever.

RIalltrac

well lowering the car will make it slightly harder to bring it 100% to stock specs, but they should be able to dial it well within the stock setups acceptable range. Like I had mine done last year and the guy that did it could come close, but couldnt make it perfect. I've yet to see any odd wear on my tires because of the alignment. Now if you need to adjust camber more than the stock system will let you, you may need to invest in either the toyota crush bolts (i think thats what theyre called) or the whiteline camber bolts both are cheap and do the job, or you could get adjustable camber plates, but those are bit more cash.

RIalltrac

It can be done, whether or not you'll need the camber bolts depends on what happens when you try to get it done. I wouldnt be surprised if you need them though.