How to install st205 brakes???

alltracst185

Help a long time alltrac.net member and st185 owner out :D

Ok, I searched with no luck :( I just ordered st205 front and rear brakes, I know the rears bold on with no trouble. Now the fronts, I read way back that they require a spacer of some sort? what rotors can be used? Thanks in advance :D

Meenya

Can't tell you much about fronts. But for rears you want somehow to close the gap between the hub and rotors.
Stock ST185 hub is 54.1mm but the ST205 rotors designed for 55mm. Hope that helps.

ALLensTRAC

Take a look at the thread 25 posts down from this one. Its the 14 page thread on 205 fronts. They say the only way to do it with the original 205 rotors is to have them machined down to 307.5mm diameter. Also you will have to run a centering ring in the front as well. Bozo-merlin did it with 330x32 rotors but the calipers have to be mounted down on the rotor close to the ball joint so that there is room for a bracket. I would just wait until you have parts in hand and find your own solution. It looks as though there are many ways to do it. Hope it helps,
Allen

CMS-GT4

There are too many ways to do it, which is why that thread is so large. I think the easiest is likely the gt4oc kit that lets you use wrx discs. No matter what you do, there is some work ahead for you.

CMS-GT4

There have been a few attempts. Some had issues. There was actually a japanese bolt on kit for the 7th gen, that could likely work on the 185, but it would cost you likely over $800 just for the kit.

If you have the 205 rotors, you will still need to sort out a spacer, and grind some off the caliper ear as well as get the rotors milled down. Check Ripley's setup for info on that. I am still trying to sell my calipers. If I kept them, I think I would have had new mounting holes drilled into the upper part of the ears, then cut so that I can use a custom bracket. I opted to use gtfour77s kit since it was a bit more geared for my goals and 5x114 setup. I think there being so many options for what to do with the brakes makes it harder to decide how to approach the 205 setup.

WarTowels

I think it's possible to use 205 rotors un-milled. Pretty sure I have seen that done, that is what I will attempt if I ever get that far.

-Towels

deecee

The issue is the offset of the rotor and inteference with the ball joint hence spacer behind rotor. Then caliper location to disc has to be offset mounted to st185 hub carrier caliper mount points. Easiest thing to do is buy off the shelf or build a custom kit. I went through options looked at other calipers and rotors and ended up with wilwwod calipers and wrx 324mm discs. If you really want st205 calipers then you have to machine caliper mounts and use supra disc redrilled and a hubcentric spacer on the hub spigot

Having just done the ST205 Front Calipers on my 185, I wish I'd have just bought the wilwood kit from http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/53/coro ... 16-22.html, He does a kit for the ST185 and although is abit more expensive, would be well worth it for the ease of installation and replacement parts.

Doing the ST205 calipers I had to...

Buy JZA80 Supra Discs
Re-drill discs to 5x100 stud pattern
Machine Hub rings to locate discs
Grind 4-5mm of Caliper Ears/ mounting points
Fit wheel spacers to fit wheels

Probably ended up spending close to $1200-1300 NZD, definitely wasn't as straight forward as I thought when I first started.

deecee

Mrp aka Barry and i worked on getting the kit right for the st185. Check my project thread for the discussion on it. Not on website as it is a 'build as required' kit. Small business so he doesn't hold heap of stock especially custom stuff. Will do photo and cost stuff some time later.

CMS-GT4

I tired to fit sti rotors and 205 calipers. You need to make a wonky bracket to make it fit. One guy paid to have it done, but he said by the time he was done it cost him more than most other available bbks. If you really want an off the shelf solution, it will still cost you. If you look at my posts in the front 205 caliper thread, I came up with a solution using WRX rotors hats. Revolution is selling these cheap on ebay. I also posted links to a company that can make custom rotor rings. So you could get a 2-piece rotor setup that would fit the 205 calipers. Still would consider shaving some of the material off the ears just to keep clearance on the ball joint. I think it would be around $120 a rotor ring. Its really not that bad in the scheme of things.

alltracst185

CMS-GT4":2h6neru1 said:
I tired to fit sti rotors and 205 calipers. You need to make a wonky bracket to make it fit. One guy paid to have it done, but he said by the time he was done it cost him more than most other available bbks. If you really want an off the shelf solution, it will still cost you. If you look at my posts in the front 205 caliper thread, I came up with a solution using WRX rotors hats. Revolution is selling these cheap on ebay. I also posted links to a company that can make custom rotor rings. So you could get a 2-piece rotor setup that would fit the 205 calipers. Still would consider shaving some of the material off the ears just to keep clearance on the ball joint. I think it would be around $120 a rotor ring. Its really not that bad in the scheme of things.
Can you re-post the link for the rotor rings?? :D

deecee

i have sti 04 rotors with wilwoods and they fit without a spacer behind the rotor.
I will be doing some more testing with the coil all the way to the bump stop but when i checked clearance with the bbk on, there was still around 1.2mm clearance with the shock 2/3 under compression. Note, this is clearance with full lock l/r and straight all under compression. Then the car started lifting so I backed off lol.

If I get worried, then I'll grind a bit off the ball joint, but until the compression test is done, then I'm happy with the BBK as it stands with the sti rotor.

Reason why no spacer behind?
1) making a thin spacer unit with a hubcentric ring is not an easy thing to do, even for an engineer. Apparently the aluminium starts wobblying when you get down to 3mm thick.
2) In NZ, you can't run a double spacer, even with extended wheel studs. As I am running a 20mm spacer on the front, the spacer behind the rotor was a no go for me.