steering rack improvements

Mafix

11 inch wide in the front and 9 in the back. (mine is fwd, don't forget). yeah no ps = popeye arms and broken fingers.

CMS-GT4

k.beaty":2hcp71w1 said:
I'm using URAS steering spacers on my inner tie rods and they definitely give you a better turning radius. The ratio remains the same though. The only way to change that is to change the gears inside the rack.

Do you have a pn or source for these? Any mods needed?

Mafix

now on 10.5 all the way around. ps isn't enough at idle!
they make a much simpler and far more universal device called a steering quickener.

klue

Mafix":1r2tlddu said:
now on 10.5 all the way around. ps isn't enough at idle!
they make a much simpler and far more universal device called a steering quickener.

Yes we have used these on race cars, but those have custom steering shafts. The ends need to be tig welded on, which I would hope no one is even attempting for a street driven vehicle

CMS-GT4":2ytx8llz said:
Has anyone with lhd found a solution?

Wondering the same!

And the URAS steering spacers are available from rhdjapan.com i believe....

I would love a quicker rack but since my cars still in pieces, i'm more concerned with bump steer and roll center corrections....
Building a race car is Awesome and completely F'ing stressful simultaneously!

I wish T3 would step it up and show us some more love!!!

MWP

Spacers are not an option for anything but a drift car.
They move the inner rod-end swivel point outwards which will increase bump-steer.

CMS-GT4

Actually it depends on the setup. Some cars suffering from bump steer can near zero it with spacers and shims. I need to go measure but the 185 arm pivot point may not be in a well designed are in consideration of lowering the cars. This is why I ordered a bump steer gauge. This is a subject too many have been guessing at, including myself, and I think this is an issue that could be what is holding back the 185/165 platforms from being competitive on an low buck builds.

Edit on a related note I think the easiest solution is buy a steering quickener and have you oem rack Modified. This will help avoid too much pivot change when using other racks. These pivot changes may help in some instances but you have to do your math first and figure that out beforehand.

MWP

Bump steer isnt that important compared to a lot of other suspension geometry specs.
Ive made massive front end grip improvements without even looking at what my bumpsteer is like.

I think ive found a full Toyota 86 (Scion GT86 or whatever you want to call it) steering setup for sale for a very reasonable price.
If the rack is in good shape, ill try to use it in my 185, along with the steering column and EPS stuff.

k.beaty

MWP":1scfyqe8 said:
Bump steer isnt that important compared to a lot of other suspension geometry specs.
Ive made massive front end grip improvements without even looking at what my bumpsteer is like.

Care to elaborate on what you did to help improve front grip? Just want to compare it to what I've found works for me, maybe we can both find some more time!

MWP

k.beaty":3do1j8t5 said:
Care to elaborate on what you did to help improve front grip? Just want to compare it to what I've found works for me, maybe we can both find some more time!

Lots of caster and good suspension are the main things.
Not going to go into it anymore here, its OT and have done so in other threads.

CMS-GT4

Thanks for checking. The other thing I can think to check is the mk3 spyder rack as it is an upgrade or the sw20 guys. Sadly now everyone knows which makes them more expensive.
I think the only economical way to do it is to get a "steering quickener" welded in. Last time I checked they were under 200. The hard part is the labor.

abeans

I agree. I have the means to do this, but i think at this point, I'm just going to allocate mod funds to maintenance items while the engine is out.