steering rack improvements

Hotrodhendrix

Thanks for the link. The only issue I have with actually electronic power steering is the wifes old G6. It had little to no road feel with its electronic assisted power steering. Will have to do more research on this though. Would be a much cleaner install than trying to run an MRs electric pump.

If it fits then yes you could depower it and get the reduced lock to lock. I pulled alot of my info from a miata write up but I never got around to doing one for ours. Its pretty much the same thing. The torsen bar I had an offroad shop local to me replace it. They only charged 40 bucks if I remember correctly. Just beware... Its great on the highway but a bit heavy around 30mph and really heavy at a stand still. Other downside is I noticed the car "follows" the road more. Any kind of crack or line in the road it will try to torque on you.

~James

My objective is to simlify steering in my rally car. Get rid of expencive high pressure hoses an noisy pump. This electric setup has been used in rally extencively over last 5-7 years. MK2mania and others simplyfied the electronic part of it so it can be retrofited to anything with a non hydraulic rack.

underscore

Ok so exactly which AE92 rack is needed? Because there are apparently 7 different AE92 racks and I need to know which once to order.

fussellbug

After looking at the EPC, it is true that there are at least 8 different part numbers listed for the AE92. The part numbers vary based on whether the car was made in Japan or North America. What it really boils down to now is that half the part numbers appear to be no longer available from Toyota and the other half of the part numbers have been substituted by just one part number that is currently available, 44250-12231-84. (available as a reman for $235.32 at Titus-Will Toyota)

fussellbug

There are 4 different numbers for JDM right hand drive AE92 steering racks. You'll have to narrow these down as none of them would be available from US dealers.
44250-12200
44250-12201(substitute for 12200)
44250-12210
44250-12211(Substitute for 12210)

MWP

In Australia, i think power steering was an option on AE92s.
So there are both powered and non-powered racks here.

MWP

So who has actually done this??

Im wondering if 1.6 turns lock-to-lock might be too quick??

urbandork

ok so this thread has interested me and this is what ive found.

ae92's have the same power steering rack except for the gts and apparently the gtz. the gts has a variable ratio steering rack that runs off a vac line and the gtz (rhd) seems to have a better lock to lock ratio. info can be found to TN here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blof-fan
Well so far, I think most of the AE92 steering racks are acounted for:
AE92 SR5 manual rack: not posted yet
AE92 GT-S manual rack: 4 turns lock-to-lock
AE92 SR5 P/S rack: 3.4 turns lock-to-lock
AE92 GT-S P/S rack: 3,25 turns lock-to-lock
AE92 GT-Z P/S rack: 2.5 turns lock-to-lock
Might be nice to save this topic for future reference?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/134-6 ... racks.html

so whats up with all of this 1.6 lock to lock stuff? if its out there id like to try it out but from what ive found it doesnt look like the ae92's had a 1.6 lock to lock steering rack :( .... ill do some research on the ae11X's later

aus jd 2703

im trying to understand why you guys wanna change the rack?
sure less turns lock to lock but how is that useful on a street car?
i always thought the biggest issue with any gt four was not enough lock?
only benefit i can see is for motorkana or maybe rally

klue

less turns to lock, or faster ratio means less input from the driver needed to get the car doing what you want it to... turn. On the street its probably the opposite of what you want. But on the track its EXACTLY what you need!

urbandork

urbandork":p4dei1xe said:
ok so this thread has interested me and this is what ive found.

ae92's have the same power steering rack except for the gts and apparently the gtz. the gts has a variable ratio steering rack that runs off a vac line and the gtz (rhd) seems to have a better lock to lock ratio. info can be found to TN here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blof-fan
Well so far, I think most of the AE92 steering racks are acounted for:
AE92 SR5 manual rack: not posted yet
AE92 GT-S manual rack: 4 turns lock-to-lock
AE92 SR5 P/S rack: 3.4 turns lock-to-lock
AE92 GT-S P/S rack: 3,25 turns lock-to-lock
AE92 GT-Z P/S rack: 2.5 turns lock-to-lock
Might be nice to save this topic for future reference?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/134-6 ... racks.html

so whats up with all of this 1.6 lock to lock stuff? if its out there id like to try it out but from what ive found it doesnt look like the ae92's had a 1.6 lock to lock steering rack :( .... ill do some research on the ae11X's later

ive still been looking around have and have yet to find a forum or article saying the ae92's had a 1.6 lock to lock steering rack... perhaps it was a rare rack? or maybe who ever said it was 1.6 was only talking about from center to full left or right thus 3.2 lock to lock.

phattyduck

urbandork":2l17i262 said:
ive still been looking around have and have yet to find a forum or article saying the ae92's had a 1.6 lock to lock steering rack... perhaps it was a rare rack? or maybe who ever said it was 1.6 was only talking about from center to full left or right thus 3.2 lock to lock.
That was my assumption. Sadly, a 1.6 turn to lock (or 3.2 lock to lock) doesn't mean much... My Alltrac Camry is already there.

The 2.5 lock-to-lock variable ratio rack might be interesting. The question is whether it is variable steering ratio (slower at the center, faster at the ends?) or just variable assist (it has a vacuum line going to it...) depending on engine load.

-Charlie

urbandork

phattyduck":1sfuia8t said:
urbandork":1sfuia8t said:
That was my assumption. Sadly, a 1.6 turn to lock (or 3.2 lock to lock) doesn't mean much... My Alltrac Camry is already there.

The 2.5 lock-to-lock variable ratio rack might be interesting. The question is whether it is variable steering ratio (slower at the center, faster at the ends?) or just variable assist (it has a vacuum line going to it...) depending on engine load.

-Charlie

Hey there Charlie long time no talk

Any how from what ive read it is just a variable assist depending on engine load like you said.

-Hope all is well Craig

Mafix

variable generally means in the assist. as in the steering gets heavier.

a quicker rack would be great but...you guys will NEED to physically use a donor car. your power steering lines are not even close to the FWD variants although they are swappable. what that means is: you can use a fwd rack with your exsisting power steering IF you get the hard line set from a donor car. i've personally done this and it does work. that is the major difference i've found in the awd vs fwd rack and pinion (aside from price).

with the racing i do, i HAVE to have power steering. if you can turn that fast without it then your tires are way too small, lol!

Meurz

Mafix":1cuyaa52 said:
with the racing i do, i HAVE to have power steering. if you can turn that fast without it then your tires are way too small, lol!
You need to fap more.

klue

There are variable ratio racks, meaning the gearing across the rack is not consistent. I think it would make more sense from a racing POV that it would be quicker in the center, but that could be the opposite for street cars. I definitely agree with keeping the PS, Im running 235s it takes a lot of muscle to hoop her around at autox, i could only imagine if I have a quicker ratio how much more effort it would take :p

Good points on the lines, should I be doing it again, they would all be replaced with lighter, easier to repair custom lines