steering rack improvements

Landon

Is there anything we can do to have a lower turning ratio on our cars? like a lower lock to lock set up? I just feel like our steering isn't super and wish there was a way to get a different rack. what do you all think?

CMS-GT4

There used to be a short rack for our cars for about $400, but I doubt you would find them anymore. I had wondered if you could get the steering gear from a euro 205 to change the ratio in a 185. Some other racks are compatible with our systems. Gtfour77 used a corolla rack I believe. It might be worth looking into a 7th gen celica rack to see if they improved it, and if it might fit. There is also a steering gear for a sw20 that might be compatible in our system, but of course you need to get a hold of a mr2 system and compare them. There is a good chance it would not work at all.

I have a really small steering wheel and it does work to give me some quicker steering, though it looks like it belongs in a gokart.

Landon

Thanks Josh, I'll do some research on that for sure. My buddy just got an evo8 and I'm just envious of how quick the steering is. I'll see what I can find. Thats funny about your steering wheel, I know I definitely want one smaller then my stock one right now.

k.beaty

I'm using URAS steering spacers on my inner tie rods and they definitely give you a better turning radius. The ratio remains the same though. The only way to change that is to change the gears inside the rack.

Sorry I missed this thread. I use a steering quickner on my rally car. There is a variety available. Fabrication is needed to install. I have a custom steering column on my rally car built using Borgeson and Flaming Rver components (shafts and joints) and a 1.5 to 1 quickner. I had to abandon original hydraulic PS pump in favor of Citroen Saxo/Rugeot 106 electric hydraulic pump. MR2 pump can be used as well. What I want now is pure electric power steering. Check out EZ Power Steering web sight for specs. Also Falaming River has a setup for alot more money. Both have Universal/ build to order solution. That would also requre a non hydraulic rack that would fit our cars. So

Does anybody know where I can get a non hydraulic rack for ST185?

Used electric hydro pump is maybe $200-$300. Quickner is about $150. You could mount the pump in the engine compartment where ABS was behind right headlight. In my car it is in front of navigators foot rest. Custom high pressure hoses another $200. My setup has one large disadvantage. No colapser. Better be wearing seat belts tight. Colapsers may come upart in rally environment. My Steering column is attached to the roll cage and is custom made from Borgeson components and doesn't flip up and down like stock. Steering wheel comes out to get in and out.

The grandest solution of all is Sellholm in Sweden. He converts a stock rack to faster ratio. Price was high as I heard. You can call them.

It seems that with electric solution there is a better way.

Gary ST165

Landon":2oks91b4 said:
Is there anything we can do to have a lower turning ratio on our cars? like a lower lock to lock set up? I just feel like our steering isn't super and wish there was a way to get a different rack. what do you all think?

http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... k#p1340719

Wolfiehere":2oks91b4 said:
AE92 racks are 1.6 thats what i run

Gary ST165":2oks91b4 said:
Wolfiehere,

RE: AE92 > does it share identical or near identical mounting points and type to that of the ST185 ?

Yes the mount points are the same

But I changed the inners on mine not a hard job but easily done in situ saves taking the rack out.

CDo0hsgBGkKGrHqQOKpsE0VeBCc7KBNPOvH6og_12.jpg

The Ae11 rack is the same as well :thumbsup:

And if you need any measurements I have 3 in the Unit

hth :smokes:

Gary ST165

underscore":1ustn7pi said:
So if I get an AE11 or AE92 rack, change the inner tie rods, and boom better steering?

you will have a "quicker" rack , as in less turns (1.6) from full lock to full lock,
when compared to stock st185 steering rack is 2.7 turns from lock to lock...

Hotrodhendrix

After depowering my steering rack I find it to be really heavy. Even after a proper depower and replacement of the torsen rod to solid. Its as close as you will get to a manual. Steering is more direct it seems. I may try the AE92 rack like stated above with an MRS electric power steering pump next.

~James

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the info Gary, this is more accessible to most of us than building a full custom setup. I am surprised at how much of a difference there is in turn to lock between the two.

What cars are AE92 and AE11?
Is AE92 hydraulic assisted and AE11 not ahydraulic?

Thanks. This is so valuable. Wish I new it before.

underscore

They're both Corollas, the AE9x was made from 87-92, and the AE11x was made from 95-02 so I think that's what we need?

And about now is when I'm mad that my car is RHD haha

Landon

wow thats exactly what i was looking for, so let me be extremely redundant, since I don't have an account with gt4 atm.. Use the ae92 rack but what tie rods exactly need to be used? thats kinda exciting news especially if a steering rack is going anyways..

Hotrodhendrix":2f9xy7pi said:
After depowering my steering rack I find it to be really heavy. Even after a proper depower and replacement of the torsen rod to solid. Its as close as you will get to a manual. Steering is more direct it seems. I may try the AE92 rack like stated above with an MRS electric power steering pump next.

~James

Is there anywehere a writeup for depowering a rack. Very interesting. So if I depower an AE92 rack then I can put this on it? Any thoughts?

http://www.mk2mania.co.uk/

Look at their electric power steering. And what a good price for a universal kit.