Which is the most affordable big brake kit for ST185?

gt4tified

As the topic says, I am investigating my option of purchasing a big brake kit for my ST185. I was looking towards the ST205 conversion but it sounds like there may be a lot of work...if it does not cost an arm and a leg more, I would prefer something bolt-on ready off the shelf.

Any suggestions as to the most affordable BBK?

underscore

^ Agreed. IIRC the benefit of the Revolution kit is you get all brand new parts, but the Porsche kit lets you use over the counter parts from other brands (easier to source spares).

gt4tified

Thanks for the response guys. Would the porsche kit clear 16" rims? I know the revolution won't but if the porsche clears my rims then that's a wonderful reason to go with that option.

underscore

AFAIK it's 17" only, and even then some of them can be a very close fit (my RPF1's clear by maybe 1mm)

NSergei

Fullsize 205 brakes (315mm) for 185
biArClOmeXc.jpg

V-FeUP1ku-4.jpg

OJf0HQXw--o.jpg

AoQwKgaTOR0.jpg

GT4times2

NSergei,

What did you have to do to make these fit the fronts for the ST185? I have ST205 front and rear brakes and want to install them on my ST185. Elaborate if you can.

Thanks.

FC Zach

GT4times2":jxbldxdk said:
NSergei, Elaborate if you can.

This is the problem I ran into when researching what and how others made their 205 calipers work for the front. . . They either can't or wont disclose any information like it's some highly guarded secret! With that being said, there was one who wouldn't because it would cut into their profits if their little secret was out (they were selling bolt-on kits).

My guess is those are STI rotors in the above pic but my follow-up question would be, Is there any need for a spacer between the hub and rotor?

NSergei

GT4times2":2sffceiw said:
NSergei,

What did you have to do to make these fit the fronts for the ST185? I have ST205 front and rear brakes and want to install them on my ST185. Elaborate if you can.

Thanks.

Rotors are st205, with spacer 8,5 mm. and centring ring,
Front calipers has been modified.

Can send photo via email.
specify what you wont to see.

GT4times2

NSergei":3oe48jbe said:
GT4times2":3oe48jbe said:
NSergei,

Thanks.

Rotors are st205, with spacer 8,5 mm. and centring ring,
Front calipers has been modified.

Can send photo via email.
specify what you wont to see.

Thank you Sergei. I will send you a PM, with my email address. I have the hubs, rotors everything complete.

GT4times2

FC Zach":18xbm84p said:
GT4times2":18xbm84p said:
NSergei, Elaborate if you can.

This is the problem I ran into when researching what and how others made their 205 calipers work for the front. . . They either can't or wont disclose any information like it's some highly guarded secret! With that being said, there was one who wouldn't because it would cut into their profits if their little secret was out (they were selling bolt-on kits).

My guess is those are STI rotors in the above pic but my follow-up question would be, Is there any need for a spacer between the hub and rotor?

Sad they won't share how they did it. We're a small group. There's the STi rotors/Porsche caliper route.
Someone had the Lexus LS430 calipers(+adapter), with STi rotors set up. I tried to contact him for a kit. Never heard from him. I've had these ST205 parts laying around, so why not make them work (or at least try to) on the ST185.

Agreed, sir. I'd be willing to pay for a bracket or some other solution which allows bolt-on fitment of ST205 front calipers and rotors just like the rears.

CSAlltrac

This is the most cost effective way of mounting the 205 brakes.........
viewtopic.php?t=50455
Unlike some of the pieces of work on the board, Redswan made a very clear post on how to get it done, and when he is not busy does reply with informative help. There's a bunch of different ways to go about it and every single one is different. Some people will also disagree with some of the methods used. Beyond the 205 brakes, the Porsche option is the most affordable.

FC Zach

CSAlltrac":1415me2e said:
viewtopic.php?t=50455
Unlike some of the pieces of work on the board, Redswan made a very clear post on how to get it done, and when he is not busy does rely with informative help. There's a bunch of different ways to go about it and every single one is different. Some people will also disagree with some of the methods used. Beyond the 205 brakes, the Porsche option is the most affordable.

I followed Redswan's thread, he was very helpful and even sent me an extra set of centering rings for the rotors. I've been running this set-up for around 5 months now and with no complaints.

FC Zach

CSAlltrac":1lktzraz said:
viewtopic.php?t=50455
Unlike some of the pieces of work on the board, Redswan made a very clear post on how to get it done

This reminds me. . . I made a word document with detailed info on my install that I've been sitting on and holding off from sharing till I tested it out and really abused the car. So far so good after ~five months so I made a thread:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=51510