Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

soarer.jzz30

Sorry I haven't replied, lots of personal stuff came up. Should be able to get a kit, but it'll be around two month from now. Sorry again. And thank you for making these

2RM

I think you are doing the right thing by trying to make/ sell this kit. Thank you for making it available for everyone! If you would sort the clearance issue for st-185 Im definitely buying this kit. Thanks for doing all the R&D! Don't give up! :D

Chuck.hudson

Yea man I appreciate you trying to help out the community by offering a nice upgrade for such a reasonable price. I'm not really sure why what you are doing could be considered rude. I can only assume that by getting vendor status someone would be making money off you .

bajallama

Chuck.hudson":106vs6sd said:
Yea man I appreciate you trying to help out the community by offering a nice upgrade for such a reasonable price. I'm not really sure why what you are doing could be considered rude. I can only assume that by getting vendor status someone would be making money off you .

Ya, it wouldn't make any sense for me to spend that much money to become a vendor when I am only making enough money off the kits to recover my costs on my own kit. This is purely hobby related at the moment. If it comes to the point where I have a high demand, maybe I'll start a business but as of now I have no intentions.

bajallama

2RM":2m1x2gdq said:
I think you are doing the right thing by trying to make/ sell this kit. Thank you for making it available for everyone! If you would sort the clearance issue for st-185 Im definitely buying this kit. Thanks for doing all the R&D! Don't give up! :D

Ya, one guy with a 185 is getting a kit now, we'll see how it works out.

athousandleaves

bajallama":2safvax1 said:
Chuck.hudson":2safvax1 said:

Ya, it wouldn't make any sense for me to spend that much money to become a vendor when I am only making enough money off the kits to recover my costs on my own kit. This is purely hobby related at the moment. If it comes to the point where I have a high demand, maybe I'll start a business but as of now I have no intentions.

For the record - we need to protect the vendors on this forum and as such can not allow people to sell products that they produce on this forum without having them support the forum. This rule is present in MANY other forums so it should not be foreign to you. Some forums won't even allow members to run groupbuy's without going through a vendor.

CSAlltrac

Im in for a kit. Although I do want to see the results of the 185 buyer beforehand. As far as using a spacer behind the rotor and machining the mounting face; Im a little lost as to what portion of the caliper you are talking about to effectively move it away from the BJ. Would you be willing to elaborate?
Also, I dont see the need to become a vendor for 10 kits. Especially when its a community favor, just my .2c. Did the gentleman producing the Porsche kits have vendor status? Lets try not to punish those that are putting in genuine effort towards making items available for us.

bajallama

CSAlltrac":2vu9u2lm said:
Im in for a kit. Although I do want to see the results of the 185 buyer beforehand. As far as using a spacer behind the rotor and machining the mounting face; Im a little lost as to what portion of the caliper you are talking about to effectively move it away from the BJ. Would you be willing to elaborate?
Also, I dont see the need to become a vendor for 10 kits. Especially when its a community favor, just my .2c. Did the gentleman producing the Porsche kits have vendor status? Lets try not to punish those that are putting in genuine effort towards making items available for us.

Okay, so if you put a spacer behind your rotor it will move it out further, away from your ball joint, effectively changing your rotor offset. However, now your caliper won't line up centerline to the rotor, it will be off the amount you spaced it off. If you look at the bracket, you will see that it bolts to the back of the hub (you can see a lip). So you just remove that thickness(of the spacer)of material from the bracket where it mates to the back face of the spindle. The lip now becomes deeperIt will then move your caliper centerline to the new centerline of the rotor. If you want I can draw a little sketch if you like. I would suggest running longer wheel studs if you plan on doing this also.

Ya well it is what it is, I understand their concern. I just didn't see how I fit into a vendor category, I don't even know what I would put as my vendor name if I went that route.

bajallama

athousandleaves":1b4qrlqk said:
For the record - we need to protect the vendors on this forum and as such can not allow people to sell products that they produce on this forum without having them support the forum. This rule is present in MANY other forums so it should not be foreign to you. Some forums won't even allow members to run groupbuy's without going through a vendor.

Protecting a product they don't even sell? I can go flip a car in the for sale section and make a 500% ROI, but I can't sell a few limited production parts for a 0% ROI. I would gladly support this forum if this produced a real income. Fact is, if I added my current rate as an engineer(which all real companies/vendors do), these brackets would be $600+.

Anyways, the admin's are reviewing the problem now. And if they reject it, I'll just put them on eBay and add $100 to the price. Just please stop inducing the drama by your comments on my threads.

UtahSleeper

bajallama":sdeiqosw said:
athousandleaves":sdeiqosw said:

Protecting a product they don't even sell? I can go flip a car in the for sale section and make a 500% ROI, but I can't sell a few limited production parts for a 0% ROI. I would gladly support this forum if this produced a real income. Fact is, if I added my current rate as an engineer(which all real companies/vendors do), these brackets would be $600+.

Anyways, the admin's are reviewing the problem now. And if they reject it, I'll just put them on eBay and add $100 to the price. Just please stop inducing the drama by your comments on my threads.

I agree here. If he isn't competing with the vendors on the list and is only selling 1 thing it seems like something that should be left along. Not even talking price/ROI. Kind of like when another user was selling a similar product for Porsche calipers. Its a small product and I doubt there will be more products made by this user, so why push it? It helps the community by saving us from having to blow big cash on BBK's.

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
The border line between a home based business, and a hobby is a often thin, but to quote libercis:

the spirit of the rules is so that businesses don't use the forum to generate significant sales through the forums without the forums themselves benefiting from the transaction. In this case the seller is an individual user, not a business.

The main thread has been reopened. Thanks everyone for your input.

klue

I just read through the postings. Very interesting R&D here, and I am very happy to see this progress as a vendor. Big brake kits have been on the market for years, and I love to see guys getting creative and making there own. I have personally spent a lot of time track and street testing the wilwood kit I use and sell to make sure I am comfortable selling it for others use. I would ask that we slow the pace down and make sure that the product is thoroughly tested both in simulation and actual driving conditions for a period of time. Corrosion, repetitive stress, material fatigue will play a role over time, which is something you can not judge on the simulation or a few stop and go's.

bajallama If you need any of my resources let me know

Luke

underscore

bajallama":3oqxloeu said:
2RM":3oqxloeu said:

Running the STi rotor on a 185 will run into clearance issues with the ball joint under cornering, I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. I've removed a fair bit of excess material from my ball joints but I'm still getting a bit of contact under hard turns so I'll have to either trim some more or get a spacer made up.

CSAlltrac

bajallama":35ywqac8 said:
CSAlltrac":35ywqac8 said:

Okay, so if you put a spacer behind your rotor it will move it out further, away from your ball joint, effectively changing your rotor offset. However, now your caliper won't line up centerline to the rotor, it will be off the amount you spaced it off. If you look at the bracket, you will see that it bolts to the back of the hub (you can see a lip). So you just remove that thickness(of the spacer)of material from the bracket where it mates to the back face of the spindle. The lip now becomes deeperIt will then move your caliper centerline to the new centerline of the rotor. If you want I can draw a little sketch if you like. I would suggest running longer wheel studs if you plan on doing this also.

Ya well it is what it is, I understand their concern. I just didn't see how I fit into a vendor category, I don't even know what I would put as my vendor name if I went that route.
Much more clear, thank you. I was under the impression you were talking about the caliper itself. Modifying the bracket makes more sense. Do you think a 3mm spacer would be sufficient?
Keep doing what you are doing, I think you will find more supportive people than un-supportive.

bajallama

klue":3d1tbhog said:
I just read through the postings. Very interesting R&D here, and I am very happy to see this progress as a vendor. Big brake kits have been on the market for years, and I love to see guys getting creative and making there own. I have personally spent a lot of time track and street testing the wilwood kit I use and sell to make sure I am comfortable selling it for others use. I would ask that we slow the pace down and make sure that the product is thoroughly tested both in simulation and actual driving conditions for a period of time. Corrosion, repetitive stress, material fatigue will play a role over time, which is something you can not judge on the simulation or a few stop and go's.

bajallama If you need any of my resources let me know

Luke

Thanks! I appreciate the offer, I offer my resources also.

As far as testing goes, I have about 7k miles and a ton of canyon abuse (and off-road). I drive a 13% grade highway multiple times a week and on the downhill I really get on the brakes. They have been through tons of heat cycles and have been routinely checked for cracks. Corrosion isn't a big deal since they are made of 6061. The bolts in shear are grade 10.9 and in tension (the small amount there is) are 8.8. I plan to get to the track once I do the rear brakes, but time has not been my friend lately.

bajallama

CSAlltrac":2x1u4a28 said:
bajallama":2x1u4a28 said:
CSAlltrac":2x1u4a28 said:

Much more clear, thank you. I was under the impression you were talking about the caliper itself. Modifying the bracket makes more sense. Do you think a 3mm spacer would be sufficient?
Keep doing what you are doing, I think you will find more supportive people than un-supportive.

Not entirely sure, if you see in underscore's post, he has rubbing issue's under hard cornering. So I guess it would take some testing but I think 3mm would be sufficient.

bajallama

underscore":1h14ziqd said:
bajallama":1h14ziqd said:
2RM":1h14ziqd said:

Running the STi rotor on a 185 will run into clearance issues with the ball joint under cornering, I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. I've removed a fair bit of excess material from my ball joints but I'm still getting a bit of contact under hard turns so I'll have to either trim some more or get a spacer made up.

Have you replaced your wheel bearings recently? Do you know your current static gap?

If I end up going further with this brake kit for the 185's, I can get you some spacers to get your kit to work better.

underscore

I haven't done them recently but I've been meaning to check all that stuff out, what static gap are you referring to?