Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

bajallama

Sorry it's been a while, I've been going buck wild with my 3D printer and finally got around to printing the new bracket design. Here's a pic of what they will look like. Everything bolts up nice so the design should be good to go.

DSC_0117.jpg

ALLensTRAC

Can I ask what was the issue with the rear UCF30 calipers? If the rotor was a larger diameter could a dog bone be fabricated given the increased space for mounting? Was it the rotor offset?
The reason I ask is I am going to run MKIV turbo rear rotors which are 324mm diameter with the same width as LS rotors. The supra calipers are super expensive but the LS ones aren't. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!!

bajallama

The LS are radial mount, the dogbone I began to make just would not work since the mount face was so far inwards towards the hub. It sucks cause I bought some really nice pads for them too and can't get my money back.I am looking into some Mercedes rear calipers that are cheap on eBay and are Brembo factory.

bajallama

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Material removal is necessary to have full pad contact due to the larger rotor. A die grinder and about an hour of test fitting did the job.
DSC_0123.jpg

bajallama

Fronts are finally done! Here is the final pictures. Just starting to break them in but so far they feel amazing.

I got a quote for the brackets and the kit will be $120 plus shipping for the fronts. That includes the brackets the hardware and the concentric ring. If you are interested go ahead and PM me. I will be posting on GT4OC for international interest too. I want to put some hard testing into them before I go ahead and get them made.

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

photo.jpg

MWP

Hmmmm indeed.

So exactly which rotor does this setup use?
The 326x30mm or 294x24mm?

Can you measure the wheel spoke clearance required for the calipers?
As in the distance from rotor/hub face to the outside of the caliper?

Also, the bolt that goes through the caliper into the dogbone... how much of the bolt thread engages with the dogbone (depth)?
Is the alloy tapped, or does it have a helicoil or similar inserted?

BTW... liver-spot dal? :)

bajallama

The rotor is the 04 STi, so its the 326X30.

Yes, I will measure that when I get home today. I have some 17" Rota Torque's on their now and you can see the clearance is pretty close. I am going to try to see if I can squeeze 16" subie wheels on it so I can eventually run gravel tires. I'm hopeful but somewhat doubtful from what I hear on the forums. Although the UCF30 caliper might be "dimensionally forgiving."

That thread engagement was my very concern from the beginning. However I did the calculations and it meets the full thread engagement length requirements, that's why I went ahead with the dog bone design. (I believe it was .59"?) The alloy is just tapped, no insert. If there was an insert, the minimum thread engagement for the insert would not be met. So as long as you are careful bolting everything up and don't strip the treads, you'll be good. You don't have to remove the caliper to change the pads obviously. Oh and remember, the tensile loads on these bolts is very low and I believe the stock UCF caliper bolt threads into an Al upright also.

I have already put about 300 miles on the setup with some mixed semi-aggressive canyon runs and I am very pleased with the setup so far. It really stops. The increase in thermal mass and Aluminum caliper really improves the heat dissipation. And no joke, I think this caliper is lighter than stock!

The dog is actually a Pitbull Dalmation! He is the most well mannered dog I have ever had, let alone met.

1514038_10152114294870873_1458932594_n.jpg

ALLensTRAC

You are correct about the aluminum knuckle on the ls430. Factory bolt thread engagement is 32mm but there is no insert for threads. Steel on steel .59" should be good.
As for 16" wheel clearance I don't think that's going to be possible. With the 11mm increased diameter of the rotor the caliper will be too far out. The 01-02 LS430 base model came with 16" wheels but they are VERY close!!! And that's on the 315mm rotors. It will depend on wheel inner barrel clearance and spoke design really. Good luck with it!!

Oh that dog pic is epic!!! Needs a Lebowski meme or something lol!

Cuttyman9

I use is350 rotors, stoptech calipers(993/911 equivalent is the same and cheap) and a 6061 billet bracket with high grade bolts. No real mods outside being 5x114.3

bajallama

Ya it will be tight but I'm more concerned with the spoke clearance with the caliper than dia. I have probably .75" of clearance now and the rotor is only .25" lager in radi than stock LS.

Again the point of the thread is a budget brake upgrade that offers equivalent in performance. Stoptechs ~ $1500 for calipers?? guessing :D

UCF30 calipers pair = $160
Race Pads (the is a variable) = $100
Sti Rotors = $120 ($200 for cryo treated)
Brackets = $120

$450-600 for the full front setup (pads, and rotor choice dependent)

ALLensTRAC

Well I had one in the shop today. Here are some pics:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397843728.917850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397843747.684814.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397843784.351281.jpg

Wheel spec is 16x7 +45 if that helps.
Clearance from the spoke to the flat section on the front of the caliper is 5mm. That looks to be the closest point.

Cuttyman9

No they were230 for the pair shipped, they are identical in external appearance to porsche 993 calipers which are relatively cheap at maybe 400 a pair just because stoptechs arent very common in used form.
They mount in the same way radially.

You must be an engineer as well, I would presume mechanical given you have some nice solidworks bits goin on haha

Your setup looks nice, i need to dig through the thread for which lexus calipers those are.
I have a single IS350 caliper at home if someones interested.

I'll try to post pics but usually its a complete pain on here.

bajallama

Wow, $400 is cheap. What model are they? I tried searching and only found ones that were ~$1500 maybe I was searching wrong

bajallama

ALLensTRAC":i4g03doe said:
Well I had one in the shop today. Here are some pics:
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

Wheel spec is 16x7 +45 if that helps.
Clearance from the spoke to the flat section on the front of the caliper is 5mm. That looks to be the closest point.

Thanks for the pics! Ya that's what I'm worried about, the spokes. Diameter of the wheel may not be as much of a problem.

Cuttyman9

so 230 shipped for the calipers
100 for rotors
12 pack and 40 bucks for brackets
50 for pads
40 for a big box of 12.9/10.9 grade bolts
we are not far off.

The porsche ones seem to vary on ebay much like the 996 stuff for the other kit with the subie rotor.
Theres a set similar to mine but not identical on there now. The 993 stuff is a good deal cheaper it seems.

but your swap is prolly more feasible for the masses based on the smaller rotors(fits more wheels), smaller calipers (fits more wheels) , 5x100 vs 5x114.3 and more available calipers.

mine barely fit in my 17" kosei's and dont fit 6 other sets of wheels I own lol