Bolt holes st205 rear struts

Laffy

Anyone having a spare strut who could measure the dimensions from center strut to center bolt holes on a st205 rear strut?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322_180227.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322_180227.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 821
What is your acceptable margin of error in the measurement? Center of bolt holes to center of a cylindrical body won't be particularly accurate if using a tape measure.

Why are you asking the question? Is your current strut/coilover not fitting on the rear knuckle?

Laffy

+/- a few mm would be sufficant. Rumor is that st205 struts are not the same as St185, and will give positive camber if used on a St185. I need to confirm this before buying struts.

ST185 Rear Shock Absorber P/N's:
- 48530-20600 - ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH
- 48540-20600 - ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR LH

ST205 Rear Shock Absorber P/N's:
- 48530-29335 - ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH
- 48540-29065 - ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR LH

Roreri

I have a set of ST185 KYB Excel-Gs out in the garage. I brought one in and compared against the photo you posted. Can't say for sure that the 205 struts would line up. There were definite differences.

Roreri

Here's a couple of pics of the KYB Excel-G Rear Struts for the ST185 for comparison. Just eyeballing it, the holes on the ST205 strut are farther away from the center of the cylinder.

KYB Excel-G Rear Strut 2.JPG
KYB Excel-G Rear Strut 1.JPG

Laffy

Thanks for all the input, according to your pics Roreri the difference is much more then I thought. My hope was that the upper hole was more outwards than the lower. I must add that my car is a ST185 CS, but because of longer rear traveling arms, the car suffers from too much negative camber. Of cours I could buy top camber plates, or crashbolts, but that would not be able to compensate for all my current camber. If anyone has ST205 struts, and has possibility to measure I would be very thankfull

underscore

I don't have measurements, but the ST205 struts should have the holes set up differently from the 185. An ST205 rear strut bar fits a 185, so we know the top ends are the same distance apart. But ST205 rear CVs and arms are approx 1" longer per side.

If you just want to adjust the rear camber more, you can enlarge one of the holes slightly. If you skim through the early episodes of Project Binky on YouTube you can see how much they had to adjust the hole to correct camber. iirc it wasn't very much.

Domspun

Laffy":3p9f3fw5 said:
Thanks for all the input, according to your pics Roreri the difference is much more then I thought. My hope was that the upper hole was more outwards than the lower. I must add that my car is a ST185 CS, but because of longer rear traveling arms, the car suffers from too much negative camber. Of cours I could buy top camber plates, or crashbolts, but that would not be able to compensate for all my current camber. If anyone has ST205 struts, and has possibility to measure I would be very thankfull

Like Underscore said, measurement is the same, but geometry is different. If you put ST185 struts on a ST205, you have more negative camber. If you put ST205 struts on a ST185 you'll have less negative camber. What's the current setup you have?

Laffy

My setup is st205 arms, st205 axles, and St185 stock suspension. I also have some Tein coilovers in bad condition, so will try to make some custom coilovers based on the tein shell. Since my plates has been off my car for some years I need to get a MOT, and for that i need some temporary suspension which make my camber less obvious.

The measurement on St185 Vs st205 cannot be the same, because then the geometry would be the same.

Laffy

underscore":3i9zdhrc said:
I don't have measurements, but the ST205 struts should have the holes set up differently from the 185. An ST205 rear strut bar fits a 185, so we know the top ends are the same distance apart. But ST205 rear CVs and arms are approx 1" longer per side.

If you just want to adjust the rear camber more, you can enlarge one of the holes slightly. If you skim through the early episodes of Project Binky on YouTube you can see how much they had to adjust the hole to correct camber. iirc it wasn't very much.

I have seen all episodes eariler, but forgot about this, thanks for the tip. Actually i think i have to slot the hole more than them, but it still should work.

Laffy

CTechBlueDragon":3qusslf7 said:
I will try to dig them out I am going through my storages right now should be able to find them in the next week or so.

That would be great if you are able to find them.

If someone also have possibility to measure center between left/right strut tops installed in a st205 that would also be helpful. Others might want this info later as well, as its hard to find exact answers on topics like this.

Domspun

Laffy":tr82c0at said:
My setup is st205 arms, st205 axles, and St185 stock suspension. I also have some Tein coilovers in bad condition, so will try to make some custom coilovers based on the tein shell. Since my plates has been off my car for some years I need to get a MOT, and for that i need some temporary suspension which make my camber less obvious.

The measurement on St185 Vs st205 cannot be the same, because then the geometry would be the same.

If you use ST205 arms, you need ST205 struts to get the correct camber. Otherwise, get adjustable arms.

Laffy

Are you 100% sure it fits St185 hub? Do you have any links to others who have installed this? If I use adjustable arms, then i have to shorten them back to St185 lenght to align for camber, i guess that would be better for the handeling, but i like the looks of wider rear track, and spacers is not an option

93CrimsonGT4

According to this, st205 arms are longer than st185: Agile Performance control arms

SmartSelect_20230323_063426_Chrome.jpg

The 205 has a wider track than the 185. Using them on an st185 requires longer axles. So you definitely need 205 struts to maintain geometry. No mention of the hubs though. Based on this info, the 205 struts might bolt in. Maybe email Agile and ask him.