knocking from rear!!

ruffneck

So when i'm driving slowly, not even over heavy bumps, i can hear this knocking sound coming from the rear passenger side (i'm in australia, so rear drivers side for US)...i've had a look, nothing seems to be loose...when i climb on the bumper and bounce the car up and down, it seems to be coming from the top of the strut?..any ideas on wht this could be?

ruffneck

strut mount is the same thing as bearing plate? this is what i thought it might be..is it a diy job, or special tools needed?

RIalltrac

ruffneck":1lmdw82m said:
strut mount is the same thing as bearing plate? this is what i thought it might be..is it a diy job, or special tools needed?

I would say diy, you wont need to compress the spring, since your not taking the the assembly itself apart.

ruffneck

ok took it to a guy that has done some work for me in the past, he reckons it's the strut knocking inside, due to leakage or something...i'm thinking now's a good time to finish off the whiteline package, i already have the club handling pack.

RIalltrac

ruffneck":13ebn91t said:
ok took it to a guy that has done some work for me in the past, he reckons it's the strut knocking inside, due to leakage or something...i'm thinking now's a good time to finish off the whiteline package, i already have the club handling pack.

you have lowering springs on stock struts? probably led to a premature death of the strut. best to go the full monty now.

ruffneck

No, still not fixed...the whiteline rear struts have arrived, I'll get em fitted and see what happens....I'll also check those swaybar links too.

daveryan

I can confirm that worn struts/mounts do cause clunking. I just got new OEM rears, strut mounts and stabilizer bar bushings and my clunk has finally disappeared. Now the only sound my car makes is the rattling change in the ashtray! My old struts were leaking and the boots had disintigrated - prob 15 years old.

daveryan

Metal plate with rubber center. If push real hard you can flex it. Mine were about $50 each from Tire Rack. (KYB for the ST185)

daveryan":ntsxar4i said:
I can confirm that worn struts/mounts do cause clunking. I just got new OEM rears, strut mounts and stabilizer bar bushings and my clunk has finally disappeared. Now the only sound my car makes is the rattling change in the ashtray! My old struts were leaking and the boots had disintigrated - prob 15 years old.

Do you know which was the cause of the clunking (the strut, mount, or the bushings)? I have the same problem and it is getting worse quickly. For some reason I cannot get the rear to clunk by simply pushing on it, I have to be driving over small bumps. It almost seems like it only happens when the struts are extended like when going over a pothole. If it is most likely the mounts/bushings I will just replace those, but if the struts are bad themselves, I'm going to start saving more quickly for the Tein setup.

ruffneck

yeah thanks for the info on those, might have to order some.
For some reason I cannot get the rear to clunk by simply pushing on it, I have to be driving over small bumps
yeah that is the same as with me...one guy says strut mounts, another says struts...

$ 10 says it is the sway bar link - i had that problem alot- now if i can only get these daing Koni replaced.... get soem new ones rears to actually work -
:shoots:
POS !!!!

daveryan

Do you know which was the cause of the clunking (the strut, mount, or the bushings)? I have the same problem...

Sorry, it would have been more helpful to replace the parts one at a time, but not economical. I'm thinking it was the strut/mount more than the bushings. My sway bushes were only slightly cracked and I couldn't move the bar or recreate the clunking by tugging at it. The OEM bushes were only about $12 for all 4 front and rear, so I couldn't resist slapping new ones on - the clunking had to stop. Note - I did not install new sway links.

BTW, the noise I had was a fairly deep sound with a spring like duration - where I'd hit one small bump at low speed and would get a clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk - from just one bump. Who knows? It could have been the bushes, but my struts were BLOWN! So besides no more clunking, I now have better handling, braking and no more bobble head action on the HWY.