The alltrac weight reduction thread

concealer404

Corey Darling":qrr2n8md said:
I know.

I thought the GT-Four A was wide body. Only the GT-Four came in Narrow and Wide Body?

Ohhhh.... i see what you're saying now. I believe they came in both, but then again, i only see alltracs 'round these here parts. :p

Corey

The A stands for 'Adovansu' or advanced and this is the first ST185 model to use the widebody shell.

gtfour-a.jpg

From René's site.

Anyway, getting off track from the thread. Pretty sure the A is wide body only.

JDM GT-Four

Corey Darling":28cwemg3 said:
The A stands for 'Adovansu' or advanced and this is the first ST185 model to use the widebody shell.

gtfour-a.jpg

From René's site.

Anyway, getting off track from the thread. Pretty sure the A is wide body only.

Sorry guys I was wrong :doh: !! It's just a narrow body, Thanks Cory for the Info!

Celi-GT4

I dont think 1100kg is attainable without swapping in some light wiegt body panels, glass, gas tank and or suspension supports. Its not always cheap but focus on some lightend rotating parts ie, wheels, clutch flyweel,driveline, brakes. This may along with stripping the car could give you a 1100kg feel

MXP_57

At the moment i have:

No PS, no A/C, no interior heater or fan, no intercooler, just the engine under the bonnet.
Carbon front seats, no back seats, gutted rear.
Light flywheel and unsprung clutch
Lightened mr2 alternator bracket
Coilovers
I'm simplying all the wiring of the car, no more fuse boxes etc...
No more sound deadening
No more alarm
No more central locking

Also it's a 1987 st165, so no side bodykit, no transmission cooler, no ABS, no sunroof.

I'm hopping to get around 1150kg without the driver. Keeping the dash and door trims.

Do you guys think it's attainable?

I'm thinking about switching to manual windows and side mirrors. Do you guys know what's the weight difference?

Also what is the weight of the 1st series 1987 jdm st165?? Was it 1350kg? does it includes driver/fluids?

Thank you :p

Celi-GT4

How about carbon driveline and lighter wheels? Bumper supports? Stereo? Sytem ten in 185 is heavy. Swap out some glass too. Door and window control motors etc will lighten it IMHO about 15-20lbs, I think you can get to 1150. What do you wiegh now?

MXP_57

I have an st185. i just have the radio and two front speakers. It's still a street car :-D

For the future i plan on fiberglass body work and lighter windows. But i don't know how much i can get down to with the stock body and windows. It's pretty much all stripped...

I will weight the car soon. The car is still in a 1000 pieces. I'm redoing the whole wiring of the car right now...

MXP_57

I've calculated that i've lost ~210kg. ~462lbs. :shock: This is pessimistic, there's lots of small stuff i didn't count.

The alltrac specs page says under "GTfour" that the st165 weights 1350kg. Is that with fluids or driver? If it's dry, then my car should weight 1140kg !!

Celi-GT4

I had my 185 down to 2840lbs with a roll cage, wet. I have lots of stuff out of her as well. The chromoly cage wieghs about 60lbs.

darthripley

Celi-GT4":2zrtdnqp said:
How about carbon driveline and lighter wheels? Bumper supports? Stereo? Sytem ten in 185 is heavy. Swap out some glass too. Door and window control motors etc will lighten it IMHO about 15-20lbs, I think you can get to 1150. What do you wiegh now?

C/F driveshaft is 30lbs lighter than stock & helps with rotational mass.
R/C front crash bar is aluminum & much lighter than the steel widebody crash bar.
Someone in the UK makes FRP rear hatch & if you put lexan window in that you could save ~30-40lbs.
ABS weighs a ton & all the related wire/loom that goes to it.
Spal fans weigh a lot less than stock fans + shrouds as well.
I'd personally work on the drivetrain being as light as possible -> wheels, brakes, driveshaft, shimless buckets, flywheel, clutch + getting weight off the front for a more balanced feel.
Good luck with it all :)

BNZ

Lightened 165 Crash Bar ... not crushproof anymore but much more lighter ! :)

Attachments

• 20112010347.jpg
    20112010347.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 8,256
  • 20112010346.jpg
    20112010346.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 8,256
  • 20112010345.jpg
    20112010345.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 8,256

lumbercis

concealer404":gtzsmbrj said:
.... But that's fine, it's NOT meant to be a daily driver. I don't really care about the resale value, it's a track toy. And from that standpoint, less weight = better. The car has an end goal of under 2400lbs w/ a gen3 swap. :D

Oh, I didn't see you mention before that you were preparing the car for the track. What type of motorsports are you preparing the car for?

RE: darthripley's post, be aware that if you are doing weight reduction for motorsport, some of those reductions will disqualify you from certain classes or else class you up into a class you couldn't hope to be competitive in. Specifically lexan windows are disallowed in all but the most heavily modified classes (think black halfs, tube frames etc.) Some of the others may or may not depending on the specific motorsport/class.

If you are putting lexan into a street car, then also look out for Smokeys as it is illegal to run them in a street car in many states.

J.

darthripley

^ that is correct regarding lexan/polycarbonate in the US, it is not DOT legal & you fail a safety inspection in states that require them.
in some forms of motorsport overseas it is within the rules - it might even be street legal in some countries, but I cannot comment on any of that as I am uncertain etc.

i'm sure the poster asking about weight reduction for track would have a full knowledge of what is legal & what is not in whatever motorsport he is competing in.
honestly there would be no sense in doing tons of weight reduction work to a track specific car & then not be able to compete with it anywhere. :|

Mitsuslider

Scaled my st165 at 3484lbs (with me in the drivers seat and completely loaded), with a 51% front and 49% rear weight ratio. Where can I get a fiberglass hood, sunroof, etc. Ive recently removed full ps system, full ac system and brackets, cruise control, and other miscellanious items. not looking for a dramatic drop in weight but id like to get the crossweights and bias as close to perfect as possible.