The alltrac weight reduction thread

furpo

i weighed my air con when i pulled it out of my gt4. the pipes, radiator, wires, mounts, ducts and fan weighed 27kg. i took the pump off later, it was not as heavy as i expected it to be. it was only 4kg. the bracket was 2kg and the idler bracket was 3kg. so all up it was 9kg.

i got a alt bracket off a non air conditioned 3sfe. and the belt i use was off a 4age. i have some photo's of how i did this if anyone wants to know.

also i have noticed alot of brakets that can be unbolted because they don't appear to be for anything. i assume toyota made one basic body that they could bolt an optional extra too.

there is a 4kg bit off lead under the front bolted to the cross member as well.

i am building a carbon fibre strut brace so ill let everyone know how heavy the factory one is when i pull it off. the carbon one is 900 grams 8)

my old gt4 was called a rally and was a bit lighter. it was 1310 kg with about 1/4 tank of gas. the one i have at the moment is 1370 kg with the heavy electric seats.

you should have no problem getting down to 1250kg (2750 pounds) if you go the whole hog. i think i remember reading that the wrc celicas were 1200kg.

also the abs unit is 9kg

roger

furpo

i pulled the glove box out today and removed the air con unit out behind the dash, it was about 2kg. i didn't bother weighing it. the fan and heater radiator was about 10kg.

in the diagra, above what are part numbers 89230 and 82670A? i unpluged them but nothing stopped working so i was woundering if i need them.

the black box in the picture with the glove box i found under the fan. i wounder what this does as well cos it didn't seem to do anything.

roger

alltracman78

The "black box" in the pic is the cruise control computer.

If you go all out on these cars, and remove all the extra automated crap, you shouldn't have too much problem going under 2800lbs.
That's just my guess after ripping the cars apart.

allblackalltrac

lamard":qs94hzi2 said:
also if anyone has pics of their stripped car please post them.

ask and ye shall recieve...
wMzMzMjY3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

the sound deading stuff on the floors weighs in at 45lbs once its all chipped out
the rear hatch with everything attached weighs 55lbs
seat belt restraints weighs in at 20lbs

apart from what was already mentioned I'd like to add:
pull all the glass and replace with Lexan
make the rear hatch fibreglass
drill really big holes or remove the inner section of the boxed re-bars
fuel cell
gut the lights w/motors
gut as much of the doors as structurally possible or gut them completely and weld them shut (would necessitate roll cage)
get rid of the sunroof and weld the skin shut
steering column
1-piece front end made out of FG or CF
all this is to the extreme and would only be benificial to a full out race car...

keep in mind however that it is not nessessarily the weight of the vehicle so much as it is the 'un-sprung weight' that determines the cars steering and suspension characteristics.

BraveUlysses

CMS-GT4":2cmqe26k said:
Anyone got the weight of stock wheels/tires?

If I can this CF RC hood thing going, I will weight the stock cs hood when I take it off to be molded.

As I take off stuff over the next bit, I will weight it and post weights.

Stock wheels and tires are in the 40-45 lb range each.

CMS-GT4

Fuel Tanks weighs 25.35lbs.

There is some weight to be saved for a smaller gt tank or fuel cell.

CMS-GT4

I wonder how permitted a cf roll cage would be? I bet I would have to stick with steel.

I am going to have to add one at some point, but I prefer to add as little weight to the car as I can. I am trying to reach that 2,800lb goal when the car is done.

furpo

hi there savage.

im in wellington at the moment at uni. i will be in auckland working at c-tech after uni finishes in about 4 weeks time. i have finished my cold air box and cut it to shape but have not clear coated it yet. it all seams to be working ok. 1400 kg took a bit of getting a custom to for me as well. i was driving around my race car before that which is a 600kg mini.

ok i have had an idea. i moved the radiator over flow bottle because i did not want hot water splashing over the carbon fibre air box to the fire wall. i noticed that it is quite heavy and a really silly shape. so does any one know what car i can find a small, well shaped over flow can in? also the steel bracket can be cut off if the over flow bottle is moved.

the charcol filter is about 1 kg. the bracket holding it is about another 1kg. the over flow bottle is about 5kg fill of water. the positive and negative power cables are about 500 grams together. so now my car is another 6 ish kg lighter.

roger

CMS-GT4

As sugest in other threadds, a lexan sunroof replacment would be another idea for weight reduction. I think a frame may need to be made with fiberglass, or something else, then the same molding as the stock moon roof could be used. Not sure if one would like to still make it open or not. I am sure the pop up method could be used.

hacker_720

dose anyone know if you can swap in the 2000-2005 celica engine, it's lighter right, then turbo that one, How well do you think the tranny would like up, or even the pre 2000 engine, like the one out of the RAV-4 ,it's 4wd, maybe the trannys are simmilar? I know they are not turboed, but that can be arranged. Anyone tired this or heard of it?

Steve

CMS-GT4

I concidered going with a "lighter" engine myself. You might save 30-50lbs, but you loose the power potential that you once had. I was looking to install a scion tc engine, but its just not worth the money that could be spent on the 3s.

Cashback

furpo":1hl7nz2l said:
ok i have had an idea. i moved the radiator over flow bottle because i did not want hot water splashing over the carbon fibre air box to the fire wall. i noticed that it is quite heavy and a really silly shape. so does any one know what car i can find a small, well shaped over flow can in? also the steel bracket can be cut off if the over flow bottle is moved.

240 guys use plastic 20oz bottles for their overflows and I've NEVER heard of any of them running into problems doing this.

Puffy

Removed all ABS components from my GT4. This included all wiring, plugs, brackets, modules, ecu and sensors. Was suprised at how much it all weighed.

Its 11.1kg not 111kg by the way.... the wire is covering up the decimal point :p

ruffneck

Does anyone know what the lead weight attached to the engine crossmember is there for? No reason why we can't just get rid of it?

furpo

ruffneck":1h5xauc5 said:
Does anyone know what the lead weight attached to the engine crossmember is there for? No reason why we can't just get rid of it?

it is not lead, it is mild steel, it does look like lead though. it is there to protect the cross member as stated above. the stupid thing is the car never bottoms out there, it bottoms out behind it. it weighs about 2kg including the two bolts that hold it on. mine got binned about 3 years ago.

roger