The alltrac weight reduction thread

muneo

Theres a few more of these weights further down. One is about midpoint on the driveshaft... I think theres one more but I can t remember. I chucked them so long ago...

muneo

Aren't weights on the driveshaft some form of counterweight?
The one I'm referring to shouldnt be, the drive shaft itself should be fully balanced. The weight might reduce typical vibration maybe but not much since the weight isnt attached to the drive shaft itself...I think it was attached to the drive shaft center mount

Griffin

Oh - that weight on the crossmember isn't for protection, its a calibrated weight designed to reduce vibrations in a certain harmonic. Not a big deal - just FYI

2of81

I went to the floor some with a chisel and hammer and knocked away some sound deadening in my spare time today.I'm gonna fill up some walmart sacks and weigh that stuff on the freon scale. Yea I'll grab some pics.

CMS-GT4

I hear dry ice makes that stuff come right off. Might want to google it.

What are you doing for the dash?

I concidered a peice of CF with holes for gauges.

Your using an aftewrmarket steering wheel too right?

I figure the airbag and acc. should free more weight.

2of81

Dash- use basically the pad in the car and pull out all the climate controls, heater and AC stuff as much as I can. Gonna find an ST with crank windows, I am leaning strongly towards gutting the sunroof now. Steering wheel is a CS edition MOMO, one of these days I'll get enough change for a Sparco EVO seat fo myself, have the leather one for passengers and pull it out for racing, going for a roll cage and harnesses.

there is also the knee plate under the dash on the drivers side.

If you guys are interested, I'm in the process of getting a carbon fiber or reinforced fiberglass sunroof plug made

CMS-GT4

I am interested. Is this something that could snap in and seal up the top? Could we use a non sunroof head liner?

b00staholic

Pat,

I'm definitely interested in a sunroof plug if it provides significant weight savings off the top of our cars.

Other deciding factors for me will be how difficult it is to install and price.

Here's one I found online for a Honda Prelude:

http://www.macqc.com/raceplates/newProducts.htm

Weight savings are significant, it looks great, price is about right, but the installation is difficult. From what I understand, you have to drill 20+ holes or so in the car's sheetmetal.

If you can come up with an easier way to install the sunroof plug and still achieve the same amount of seal, that would be ideal. If you can re-use factory threaded holes and don't require extra drilling, that would be ideal, but I don't know if that's possible.

Perhaps once you get more details on your setup, you can start a new thread about this?

unfortunately that is the only way to install a plug, after all the mechanism is removed there is no longer any support for the sunroof panel

the difference with the one I want to have made is that it will be a very close copy of the original sunroof,( exterior dimension including weather strip), but with vertical lips on the sides & front & a tongue on the back, the 3 vertical sides will have to be riveted to the roof & the rear to a bracket adhered to the inside of the roof

the plug will most likely weigh less than 6 lbs total & I'm guessing the pieces we take out will be at least 50 lbs

be patient, still need to talk to the dude

CMS-GT4

I think the entire sunroof assembly was weighted at 35lbs. I think griffin had the roof skin replaced and also the headliner. The headline gave him more head room.

Sifu

Who's with me for another thread with just the weight of OEM and aftermarket parts? I believe this thread is great for a discussion but it would be nice to have a broken down sheet of all our goodies...

CMS-GT4

Make the tread and I will link it to our handling faq.

Rear bottom seat 10lbs. There is a first item to your list.

Anyone want to weight their A/C setup?

CMS-GT4":p82draix said:
I think the entire sunroof assembly was weighted at 35lbs. I think griffin had the roof skin replaced and also the headliner. The headline gave him more head room.

I know it has to weigh more than 35 lbs., when I removed my 165's for some reason , more than 50 lbs. is stuck in my head.

dont want to cut roof off, want to keep the original paint, plus the way I'm thinking its goin to look the sunroof area will look embossed

the head room will be the same as a non-sunroof, will just have the liner custom made out of a material that is a lot easier to clean

btw. abs & a/c parts weigh close to 95 lbs.
factory seats 49 lbs, drivers..
sparco w/ slider & brackets 21 lbs..25 lbs. w/ 5 pt harness & bolts

CMS-GT4

I think the biggest weight I want to replace is the lower a-arm. I think a tubular a-arm would be a huge weight saving for handling and the car.

I am most interested in this item out of everything.

Gary

More part weight
AFM : 2.5 lbs
Stock air box, top and boottom : 2.2 lbs
Side mirror, each : 2lbs
System 10 amplifier : 3.8 lbs
System 10 head unit : 5.5 lbs
RC/CS bumper cover : 7 lbs
RC/CS number large reinforcement : 4 lbs
ST205 IC, core only : 10.5 lbs