Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

robolt

Since you have them removed.
What is the outside diameter and thickness of the hub flanges for the front and rear hubs for the ST185?

CMS-GT4

Oteck":ipdbmndi said:
you shouldn't have to use mr2 axles if you used the 4cyl camry spindle. read my 2nd post carefuly

I have not gotten axels yet, but I do not have I4 camry hubs. I have v6 camry hubs.

I will have to come back to this project once I get some other things worked out.

robolt":ipdbmndi said:
Since you have them removed.
What is the outside diameter and thickness of the hub flanges for the front and rear hubs for the ST185?

I have not pulled the hubs yet since i was concidering swaping entire compoents.

Oteck

those arent alltrac parts actualy, i've been messing with my mr2's handbrake system cuz they sucked.

i wanted to compare if the rear mr2 spindle of mine is compatible to the front
but im afraid it's going to be longer like the one i pulled out of the supra MKIV

CMS-GT4

So gtfour77 swapped the entire spindle to change his front bolt pattern to 5x114.
See details here.
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ight=5x114

Since I have the Teins, this is not the option for me since it will require modification.

There is a chance I can just swap the hub, but it will likely have to be machined down. The biggest concern is how strong the hub will be with less material.

This project is still on my back burner. If I do it, I will use mk4 supra rotors on the front and a custom bracket for wilwood calipers. I would like to do the rear more than the front so I could run low offset wheels in the back.

darthripley

i just picked up the entire rear knuckles/hubs off of a '97 camry that was in a junkyard for a rear drum to disc conversion on my camry.
i just have them sitting on my dining room table since i don't have any use for them - i just needed the backing plates & calipers for my conversion but it was easier to take the whole thing off the car in the yard.
if anyone needs them i'll sell them cheap, condition is good as far as i can tell.

it's interesting to note the rear camry discs are actually a drum/disc combo similar to the alltrac where the drum portion is for the e-brake.

the MR2 is just a straight disc in the rear with e-brake controlled thru it as well as rear braking.

CMS-GT4

Maybe. I wonder if you could swap the whole assembly. I have a feeling the axles will have to be made into hybrid with alltrac inner and supra outer. I am not sure though.

gtfour77

CMS-GT4":1q07lupp said:
There is a chance I can just swap the hub, but it will likely have to be machined down. The biggest concern is how strong the hub will be with less material.

I did a lot of thinking and measuring about this method and decided against it...looks like there would not be enough material and you'd still be running the puny alltrac bearings.... For me the biggest benefit of the swap is the bearing size and the bigger bolt pattern. Try to take advantage of both of them if you can... The Teins can be redrilled for the camry spindle specs IMO....unless you're planning on selling them later....
Also, talk to "ubmachine . com" for reaming new steering holes. Also don;t forget that the camry spindles move the steering arm down about 1.5 inches so if you're concerned about proper geometry and steering you'll need to lower the lower ball joint by that much. (great benefit for lowered car as it raises static roll center) Also, don't forget the longer steering arm on camry spindles which equals slower steering response... the it's time to re-ream new holes fo the puter tie rod ends closer to the spindle center (I reamed mine about 3/4" closer for faster steering....and it is very nice to say the least!)....
Then when you're done with all of this, you need to extend your stock tie rod ends.... sooo, the moreal of this story? If you want 5x114.3 you have to do all of these things to make it right with proper steering geometry.... :D

I know this is a repeat of what I have already written in the other thread but though I'd write it one more time after it's all done and tested....

CMS-GT4

Well, then I wonder how the size of the front camry hubs compare to the rear alltrac hubs. Maybe they can be swapped there.

If it looks like I can not change my bolt pattern by swapping hubs, then I will likely sell my es300 spindles so someone else can do the entire front swap.

gtfour77

CMS-GT4":2b3liwmc said:
Well, then I wonder how the size of the front camry hubs compare to the rear alltrac hubs. Maybe they can be swapped there.

If it looks like I can not change my bolt pattern by swapping hubs, then I will likely sell my es300 spindles so someone else can do the entire front swap.

That's a good question....although you'd have to come up with another attachment point for the other control arm.... one could be attached to the steering arm and the trailing arm on the bottom....

CMS-GT4

I meant just the hubs for the rear. So the spindle and mounting points would not change.

While I would love to do this project, I almost wonder if I would be happier spending the extra money for custom wheels.

gtfour77

Oh yeah, that might possibly work....but I still would want some testing on it before heavy duty racing....

Believe it or not I have seen some decent 18x9.5 wheels in the 5x100mm bolt pattern....go through edgeracing . com and see what you can find out....of course 5x114.3 would be better but still...

Corey

Hi,

What is the difference between the 100x5 and 114x5 bolt patterns?

Because..... My friend's (ben) RX7 was driving on 3 114x5 wheels and 1 100x5 wheel lol.

I just noticed it the other night.

They all bolted up obviously... So whats the difference?

Thanks

Corey

beej

Corey Darling":25q2veop said:
Hi,

What is the difference between the 100x5 and 114x5 bolt patterns?

Because..... My friend's (ben) RX7 was driving on 3 114x5 wheels and 1 100x5 wheel lol.

I just noticed it the other night.

They all bolted up obviously... So whats the difference?

Thanks

Corey

the difference is the spacing between the bolts. one WONT fit the other....ur friend must have a multi stud wheel or wheels if hes running 2 different bolt patterns