wat do ppl do when its time to replace rear shox on a st185?

erolit

Coilover time :)

well really you have 3 options - the alltrac doesnt have insert-type rear shocks, so the entire strut needs to be replaced:

1. Get a set of coilover shocks on all 4 corners. You wont see much change out of $1500 (but with basic mechanical knowledge you can install them yourself)

2. While very few people make complete strut assemblies for ST185 rear ends, some still do. These are harder to install yourself as you need spring compressors and paitence. check out http://www.alltrac.net/tuning/struts.html

3. Convert the rears to insert type. There is a guide for this somewhere on alltrac.net i think. This is the cheapest option by far, but the most taxing mechanically. You will have to wait for someone else though cos ih ave no idea where it is.

Elliott

QIK_GT4

thanks dude... the thing i dont get is whats the difference between a complete strut assembly and an insert

RIalltrac

the difference is exactly what it sounds like. Take a look at your rear strut assembly. now imagine taking a pipe cutter and cutting the top lip off and removing the guts of the assembly. What you pull out would get replaced with an insert. The fronts are already setup this way, why they didnt do it in the back is beyond me. I believe the koni inserts that whiteline sells now dont require you weld a collar onto the strut assembly anymore. Its really as simple as cutting open the strut, removing everything inside and drilling a mounting hole in the bottom of the assembly. The koni's I have required me to weld a collar onto the assembly which basically killed me doing it as a diy type of thing.

greg

yeah , i am having the same problem, in sourcing shocks that are a direct fit, the two that i have found are" Boge", and "KYB?" , dont know what I'll do yet. :doh:

A

Anonymous

www.rockauto.com seem to sell rear struts for ~65$ each, manufactured by KYB, performance should be OK for daily driver

back here in Europe, we can get our hands on on cheap Bilstein "reversed" type shocks, manufactured in Russia :) (they cost about 50-70$ a unit, last for about 1-2 years), they are like RIalltrac described whiteline inserts, but come with a casing, just like any ordinary shock absorber, then we cut off top end, weld on this top from any other strut that is 'cartridge' type, insert our new shock in and tighten it up :) it took me about two hours for each strut to convert it for new shocks

there also is a problem with rear upper shock mounts, they tend to worn out quickly if stiffer shocks/springs are used (we mainly use these gt4s for rally-type driving, gravel roads I mean), and again, there is a cheap solution, take a similar front shock mount of any FWD car, make an adaption plate or just drill new holes for bolts that matches your cars mount pattern and there you go - you now have a reinforced shock mount :) this worked on my car as I had to replace worn mounts for my rear "reversed" coilovers (custom made) each 2-3 months

snakeeater

I just ordered the rear kyb shocks from rockauto, came in today from the UK. I Found them in the kyb europe cataloge under alltrac and gts (just a blank in the US catalogue) alongside seprate part#s for the st and 1.6 or whatver. Seemed like a good deal $80 vs 130 oem. And I dont have to rely on struts weaker tham oem or do any conversions or cobbled together some mr2 struts .Im guess ing these are the struts that sometimes get mentioned on fensports site.

Whoh my bad for reviveing a ancient thread

lumbercis

Actually thats good to know! I wasn't sure if the KYB's were really the right part for our cars since everyone says that no one makes rear strut assemblies for our cars.. I might get some of these rather than using the GR-2 insert I had planned for the rear... actually, let us know once you finally have them mounted.

J.

tw2

The KYB strut assembly is pretty much the same as OEM. The guide to converting your housings to take inserts is in the stickies viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26135 The other option people do not often consider is koni cut a strut. You cut the top off the original housing, remove the innards, drill a hole in the bottom and bolt the insert in. These perform very well and there is no measuring or welding involved. I would go this route if I did it again. Coilovers are extremely overkill for daily drivers in my opinion, very few people need that sort of adjustment, even fewer set them up correctly and most countries require some sort of certification procedure to make them legal.

Boo_Guy

tw2":oammjz2m said:
most countries require some sort of certification procedure to make them legal.

They do? Ive never heard of that before?

KYBs arent bad at all, theyre OEM on Ford Probes and they handle quite well stock, but then they dont weigh as much as a GT4 either :p

Get some BC Racing coilovers, throw them on and forget about it for the next 15 years 8)

tw2

That was a very broad statement based on pure guessing. New Zealand requires the height to be certified since it can be adjusted and of course if cops see them if they check your car then they will want to measure this and see the certification documents. I cannot imagine Australia not being even worse since they generally are on all things modified. I would expect some other countries to be the same.

Boo_Guy

Ah, I had never heard of that before. Im glad Canada never got as anal about cars as the UK and some of her previous colonies have :lol:

But then its better than the nuts here that cut their springs to lower the car and all the other ghetto shit that goes on with cars in these parts :doh:

tw2

Yeah it certainly goes both ways. I am fairly happy with most of the rules over here. It means that most people have safe cars with a good ride height (100mm ground to structure clearance), they aren't excessively loud and their brakes, suspension, tyres etc are all in good shape + no stupid modifications. I can't imagine what sort of stuff happens in countries where this is not checked. We do have a "no more than 20% increase in power output" rule but I don't think this has ever been enforced or even investigated. Surely anyone would just run open wastegate on the dyno.

snakeeater

tw2":1q2e3v0a said:
The KYB strut assembly is pretty much the same as OEM.
Your missing my entire point. FOr the record they Sell a rear strut in europe that is stronger to handle the mass of the rear diff alltrac vs the fwd celica.

tw2":1q2e3v0a said:
I can't imagine what sort of stuff happens in countries where this is not checked.

in Canada A car can such low pressure in its shocks to the point smash your head on the roof every time u go over 40km, and the floor under you is so rusted it flexs like a few pieces of aluminum foil and as long as the brakes are not completely shot and it can stop a bit it can pass a inspection. 74 civic, :rofl:

aus jd 2703

I'd like to find a cheaper option but I can only find one German brand of strut in Australia and they were $300 aus a corner so it's cheaper to get coilovers than new shocks an springs lol

U should she Australian road rules. They vary from state to state but in my state Queensland ur not allowed aftermarket steering wheels unless they have a padded centre and if u have airbags ur not allowed aftermarket ones full stop. As for seats we are not allowed legally use bride seats as the are not ADR approved even though their FIA approved which is a higher standard. So short of calafornia I reckon we have the worsed rules

tw2

snakeeater":vx74wkr0 said:
tw2":vx74wkr0 said:
The KYB strut assembly is pretty much the same as OEM.
Your missing my entire point. FOr the record they Sell a rear strut in europe that is stronger to handle the mass of the rear diff alltrac vs the fwd celica.

tw2":vx74wkr0 said:
I can't imagine what sort of stuff happens in countries where this is not checked.

in Canada A car can such low pressure in its shocks to the point smash your head on the roof every time u go over 40km, and the floor under you is so rusted it flexs like a few pieces of aluminum foil and as long as the brakes are not completely shot and it can stop a bit it can pass a inspection. 74 civic, :rofl:
I may be completely wrong but I though the stock shocks were basically the exact same as the kyb ones. A lot of replacement suspension parts come direct from kyb. I have seen their listings for all variants which includes the alltrac models vs regular celica's.

Wow thats really funny in a bad way. So one day you get into your car and you end up standing on the road.

I read "high performance imports" occasionally. It sounds like it is not worth the trouble to mod a car in Queensland even if it is by the book.

snakeeater

oh i didnt see your in new zealand...u probally get jdm parts as well, I thought u ur in the US

334052 and 53 yes. Hopefully these are a tad stiffer than the fwd shocks. anyone else running these?

snakeeater

yeh installed the kybs a couple months ago seem to be running good. Nice and stiff. But of course I changed to stiffer 92 spring maybe thats what im feeling. But its good to know these are oem spec. Now I can go down to autozne and get front shocks. But for rears rock autos only place I know that carried them. There 80 vs 150 oem, but the shippings more so you really dont save as much as youd think. Remembr 2 order oem rubber spring base mount(or use your disintegrating ones like me) and get a bump stop kit.