ST165 to ST185 ECU Conversion

All4Traction

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, I wired up my 185 ecu to my 165 harness and it started up in -10deg. celcius!

I have to wire the IC pump constant and then take it for a test drive tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the adapter harness i made so I didnt have to hard wire everything up in -20 to -35 deg. Celcius weather. Also it allowed me to switch back to my 165 ecu if it didnt work.

Picture032.jpg
[/quote]

All4Traction

The green plug is the guts of a 3sge ecu, then i had to re-arrange pretty much all of the pins, then i soldered the corresponding wires to the 185 ecu plugs.

Ill have to see if my a/c still works as well.

No check engine light lit up either :evil:

All4Traction

The only trouble is finding all of the 185 harness plugs and finding a bunch of 1st gen 3sge/3sgte ecu's to take the female plug out of.

If you find both, I would probly be able to do it.

I still have to fully test it today though.

Flyin' Bryan

Well i figure you could get the gen2 plugs from a 5th gen auto GTS, and a lot of Toyota ecus use the gen1 ecu connector. Good work Paul, can't wait to see it for myself.

D_oPsycho

If you seriously consider producing these harness adapters, I am in very close proximity to 4 junk yards, and all of them have numerous Toyotas, and I know there are many cars in there with the plugs you need. Come this spring when everything isn't covered in a foot of snow, I can scout them out, see how many I can grab up and send them to you, I can prolly get each one for a few bucks

Cashback

I'm also near some junkyards and since I'm in Florida snow isn't an issue. If you can tell me exactly what you need out of what car I can go down there this weekend and pull whatever you want.

This adapter may be super awesome if it allows me to run an AEM or E-Manage on my 165. So I'm down to help make another one and then experiment from there.

Gurr

Well, I've seen people puttin the 205 ecu with the 185 harness, is there anyway to get it to work with the 165 without to many problems? It would be a way to get rid of the nasty AFM and use 540/550's relatively safely. Just wondering...

Thanks

Brian

All4Traction

You would need to get a lot of the 205 sensors.

If its been done with the 185 harness, it could be done with the 165 with about the same effort. The 2 165/185 ecu's and harnesses arent very different.

Bryan (Flyin'Bryan) Is using his 165 harness to wire his 205 ecu to the 205 motor, but it required a lot of the harness to be rewired.

98RACE

Why is putting a 185 ECU on a 165 motor better??

I think I may be missing something!! :shrug: Could you fill me in??

98RACE

All4Traction":esmv3ita said:
Oh, sorry, i have the 185 motor, but i was runnin the 165 ecu, which i didnt like the idea of.

I was thinking that was the situation but I thought I would ask..

maxaud

props on the wiring... I definately would of had my All-trac up in flames if I tried anything like that... what's w/ the temps that you speak of (starting temps)... do they have to be a certain temperature to start the car? I'm lost... (as always)

All4Traction

Everything is workin great, i grounded my IC waterpump so its on all the time. I have had absolutely no problems, it runs a lot smoother under partial throttle now, probly since i was runnin the 185 isc.

My A/C doesnt work, but the light for it does come on. I think ill just have to put a manual switch to turn the pump on.

maxaud":1omct2ox said:
props on the wiring... I definately would of had my All-trac up in flames if I tried anything like that... what's w/ the temps that you speak of (starting temps)... do they have to be a certain temperature to start the car? I'm lost... (as always)

Haha, no i just stated that is was pretty cold outside when i started the car.