HELP newb with error codes galore

mattk

Allright. I have an 88 st165. I just put in a supra CT26, 3" Aussie DP (stock midpipe for a couple months), CV half shafts, full tune up, swapped IC pumps, etc. It took me 3 months to get everything done.

Before I changed turbos: I was getting hesitation/cutting out during boost. I assumed this was from the wheel in the turbo hitting the housing, or the mass of turbo oil that had blown all over my spark plus.

Now: At first, it started running with hesitation/sputtering for the first few minutes while parked revving from idle to 3k rpms. I took it out and it boosted very well. I figured, no problem, It just needs to warm up. I got a code 41 and a code 54.

Then it continued to do that on every start, then in continued to sputter a little more when warm. Also, it began fuel cut when boost would start (any boost). I got a code 35 matched with a 54.

Then I reset the ECU and took it out again. I got boost a couple times, then I had similar problems. It had complete fuel cut at the beginning of ANY boost. I checked the codes: I saw my old friend the code 54, as well as 41 and a 34. My question: What do I do now? Where do I start? I'm a bigtime newb and need help... I gotta get this thing running right.

d1alltrac

IIRC...code 54 is low IC water level or a problem with the pump and 34 is overboost....idk what 41 is and im at work so i cant look it up.

when you mention the car cutting out when you get ANY boost you are describing "limp mode" or "safe mode." it is probably caused by the error codes, i cant say which one(s) but i do know that a code 54 can put you in safe mode. (dont ask how i know :doh: )

do a search for "pump constant run" or something similar to find a write-up for the constant run mod. this has been successful in clearing the code 54 for many people including me, BUT my 54 has come back on occasion so im not sure if it will work for you....the code 34 you should be able to clear by just disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes....again, idk about the 41 so maybe someone else can look it up.

edit---are you using the stock wastegate actuator or a supra one? do you have an accurate, aftermarket boost gauge?

mattk

I modified the stock actuator to fit. I have no boost gauge at this point. The code 54 is annoying, but I'm not too worried. I just want to get it running right. I don't see how I would have gotten near PSI fuel cut with a supra ct26 and 3" dp (12-14 psi??)

saved_1992

mattk":27vm0z3d said:
I modified the stock actuator to fit. I have no boost gauge at this point. The code 54 is annoying, but I'm not too worried. I just want to get it running right. I don't see how I would have gotten near PSI fuel cut with a supra ct26 and 3" dp (12-14 psi??)

stock fuel cut in the 165 is 12psi

check this out to get rid of code 54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saved_1992 wrote:
here ya go

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/how_to/ic_cons ... nstant.htm

will also work when deleting pump and ic assem

works great and no check engine light (note my wire was green/red not green/black).

the power wire to the pump will be hot, so make sure it is not grounded

seems you cant link directly to the write-up anymore, click on the link mike posted and go to "modifications" on the left side, then "165", then to "IC and air temp", then scroll down till you see "constantly running IC pump" and click on the how to

basically just connect 1,2, and 4(see pic) on the IC computer plug

*note* this worked to get rid of my code 54 as well as many others but there was one time that i know of where it didnt work

88--ST165 (work in progress)
01--330i (daily driver)

mattk

Thanks. Will do on the code 54. I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do about the codes 34, 35, and 41. I haven't intentionally increased my boost. I only fitted a stock supra CT26 with modified ST165 actuator.

Any ideas on what I need to do to figure out/fix the 34, 35, and 41 that came up?

saved_1992

recheck all the connections, i had the same thing happen and just unpluuged the stuff and replugged in cleared codes and they stayed off

make sure everything is working in the ic system that mod will run the pump all the time

mattk

Could this be ocurring because I modified my actuator arm to be too short? I thought it was tight with nice pressure on the wastegate, but maybe I'm just a little off--like the post says, I'm a total newb. Anyone?