Misfire-Haltec E6k- Ideas?

5speedGT4

Well im looking at picking up a 93 MR2 turbo that is relatively built, but never has been driven because of a small issue. It is running a Haltec e6k setup with a msd ignition w/ blaster coil. Only under load and higher boost/higher rpms the car is misfiring pretty badly.

any ideas?

5speedGT4

alltrac101":3s6vy744 said:
5speedGT4":3s6vy744 said:
any ideas?

YEP! Take that Haltech out & throw it in the garbage...

but if you insist on keeping it, there could be a host of issues & you'll need to talk to me

pat

Haha, i agree with that pat, im going to probably buy the car and see if a few small fixes (plugs, and wires, and rewiring the ignition) will fix it... if not im gonna junk the haltec and go a diffrent route. Any recommendations pat?

Once i get the car i may give you a call on symptoms and see what you think... Should be a fun car for a while (until i can get an alltrac again :lol: )

5speedGT4

Hic":2sbe2f2a said:
probably mix of too big spark plug gap with weak stock ignition and rich afr. 99.9%!

I agree, this was one of the things i thought off too, probably getting some spark blow out (or whatever its called)... quite possibly bad plug wires as well. Who knows until i get it home :shoots:

Conan

5speedGT4":3r1p12sj said:
Well im looking at picking up a 93 MR2 turbo that is relatively built, but never has been driven because of a small issue. It is running a Haltec e6k setup with a msd ignition w/ blaster coil. Only under load and higher boost/higher rpms the car is misfiring pretty badly.

any ideas?
Somebody must have turned on the "mishfiring shystem" on that haltec :evil:

5speedGT4

Here is the problem as described by the current owner
This is a chronic problem that has been plagueing(sp) my car for 2 YEARS!! The last year has been on and off trying to diagnose it since I don't have the cash or time to fix it and its getting so frustrating I am thinking of just selling the car- its kicking my butt this bad. I just don't get it.

SYMPTOM: The car will misfire really bad at upper RPMs, usually around 5500. On the dyno I might get one run where it won't misfire but 99.99% it will. But this only happens when we turn the boost 18 PSI or higher. It runs much nicer below that PSI level.

What we replaced: We replaced the spark plug wires(switched from Nology to TRDs), spark plugs(tried different gaps, the car liked .026"), distributor(oem), oem rotor, different coils, replaced the MSD with oem igniter and it actually misfired WORSE!, replaced the Haltech E6K with a E6X and it didn't help-- it just misfired less but now the car would die when it misfired, so we switched back to the E6K-- which we sent out to haltech to have checked out and updated. All wiring was supposedly checked by my shop.

According to them all wiring was checked, they traced it as an ignition issue. They used a spark plug tester that tests the output of the MSD and found it to be giving a healthy spark. All pickup signals to the ECU, and all signals to the ECU are good.

I believe my fuel pressure is around 42 PSI, using low impedance injectors ( 880CC from Precision Turbo), the shop said they are having best results with the injectors at 3.2ms saturation but are going to check the injectors next.

Here are my mods:

JE pistons 9:1
Block bored .020" over
HKS 1.6mm HG
Ferrea dual valve springs
stock cams
stock cam gears
RPS exh. manifold
ChrisK intake manifold
Spearco A/W single core
Turbonetics T3/T4 ( size is similar to a 60-1 )
custom DP mated to an apex-Gt exhaust
MSD SCI ignition box
TRD wires/ NGK copper plugs .026"
Haltech E6K
MSD blaster coil
Precision Turbo 880CC injectors
custom fuel rail w/ FPR

If I don't figure this out soon I may just sell this car.

Basically everything the dyno and all the tests done show its a weak ignition according to them, but after all this was replaced I don't get it. I don't think he is ripping me off either since he is doing this for no charge--he wants to fix this issue ASAP as well since this was unexpected. We have tried everything we can pretty much think of but with no hopes.

5speedGT4

More Info

Correct. I am running a haltech, the E6K actually. We hooked in a good known E6X just to verify that it wasn't the ecu. Misfire was still there, but with the E6X it would misfire--then the car would die! Weird. We plugged in the E6K back again. I will ask about the timing, I know he has told me that he had checked the pickups and were good, and that changing the timing around helped a little but not conpletely. I will ask again about checking timing at 6000-7000 RPM though. I will also ask about the a/f datalogs. I know when I was there when they were working on it, on the dyno at lower RPMs was around 14:1 and at upper RPms would get richer around 12:1, but I will ask the shop to verify this and get better details on it. oh btw, not sure if it helps, but one odd thing was that when we had the E6X plugged in we had a bad issue with fuel being dumped in the cyliders and thats what was supposedly causing the car to die after the misfire.

I hope its not an internal issue.. Weird thing was that when we took out the MSD box and installed the oem igniter it would misfire WORSE, it didn't help at all. And we both agreed that was strange since the oem ignition is capable of higher hp levels than the car was running at the time.

--Thanks everyone for the advise, I will relay these to my mechanic and see what he says.

5speedGT4

Well after talking to the owner a bit basically the shop that did most of the work decided after diagnoses its a secondary ignition issue. the car is fine until ~15psi anything over that it starts mis-firing. It seems like it gets to a point of wanting more ignition power than it can get, or atleast thats what it seems like im told.

Hrmmm wtf.