AEM vs Hydra vs Haltech E8

I have always been pretty indecisive and right now im feeling it again haha. I have read the AEM vs Hydra thread which makes me lean more towards the Hydra. But how is the E8? I somehow saved up quite a bit of money without even knowing and am looking to go full standalone at this point and just need some opinions.

tissimo

I personally love AEM. I used it on my supra and found it very easy to navigate through the software and easy to learn. I only have one major complaint about it, you can't program the software to reconize a 0-5v imput as anything but 0-5v. When you log it you can add it in (via math function), but on the software display itll only be voltage :( so like I can have a Fuel pressure sensor/oil pressure sensor display anything but 2.2v or the like in the software.

I also have an extra 30-1120 (90-91) aem that I will be selling. LMK if your interested.

RWDragoon

The Haltech is a very powerful ECU. I have installed a few of them and loved them all.

One awesome feature is that you can bring it with you for your next project if you need, unlike a plug-n-play you can just redo or buy another harness and totally change the configuration to the next car you want. If you really want nearly unlimited potential step up for a E11V2 then you can do anything from a 2 rotor to a v8 or whatever else interests you

Another major advantage of Haltech is the support. On the phone you can reach Haltech about 22hrs a day. (Sometimes its convenient when Australia is on the other side of the world when you need help at 3am)

tissimo

RWDragoon":1808qu6u said:
As long as you are tuning via Map sensor the Haltech will correct, as the map sensor measures absolute KPA.

To a point, the engine will react differently @ sea level vs 5000 feet. I'm pretty sure the AEM EMS does NOT have an imput for an external baro sensor for altitute correction anywhere in it.

There wont be earth shattering differences between sea level and 5k feet, im just saying there will be slight difference (For example, in boost the turbo will work harder causing greater backpressure in the exhaust manifold and slightly change the efficency of eveything, and a slight change in fuel and timing might be needed, depending how aggressive you are with the tune).

1chewabacha1

What about the Nemesis? Anyone with experience on this?

Will Currently I'm stuck between either:
A) Buying the Hydra Nemesis off of my bro since it's just sitting around(Should be for a decent price)
-OR-
B) Buying an AEM EMS mainly because the local tuning shops are familiar with this setup. I've talked to the majority of the shops, they have worked w/ the Nemisis a little but have all said they prefer the AEM EMS.

What to do... What to get? Any tuning advantage from one EMS to the other?

RWDragoon

The bigger brands generally are more favorable to tune, have more support, and better R&D. If I had to choose I would go haltech, then AEM.

Mafix

i have a nemesis and i love it. but that is all that's available for my car and i tune it as well. see what your local dyno supports and go from there. there is no sense buying an ems and then having nobody that knows what to do with it.

1chewabacha1

Well the local guys know their way around the AEM EMS....

And the Nemesis they have worked with before but everyone seems to not like it as much... prolly cause they're not used to it.

And I have the Nemisis handy... just sitting there collecting dust in my bro's garage... Would this be something I could tune on my own with my laptop? I'm just worried about having the wrong settings... go to make a pull... and BOOM!

Setup is pretty much stockish:
- Cometic HG 2.0 mm thick
- ARP Head Studs
- 52 trim (I think) CT26
- Manual Boost Controller @ 15 psi
- Turbo back exhaust
- RX7 Fuel Pump
- RPS Clutch + Fidanza FW (Not that it really matters much for tuning)

We do have a wideband available to help with setting the A/F. What else would I need for tuning correctly?
- FPR? Any other thing I should need or need to know of before trying to tune it myself?

BoNkErZz

tjdouble07 uses a Nemesis i think.. also Kris at koracing stand by the nemesis over all others eather one of tho guys could maybe help you out

toayoztan

I agree with Mafix.

All three are pretty competent EMS devices. Finding someone who can work well with it and be able to tune your car nicely with the EMS will be important in choosing.

Therefore, based on what you've said, I say go with EMS.

You can do a mild/conservative street tune yourself, but a dyno will still be best.

Bryan

cmonteiro1

I went AEM about 6 months ago primarily because of the advice that someone above mentioned, "go with what your preferred tuner is familiar with." I tune with UMS / Apex motorsports here in Phoenix and they told me AEM without any hesitation and they had tuned a few in other alltracs, including the centerforce st185. I'm completely happy with it, although I don't make any adjustments myself as I'm not really sure how the whole thing works as of yet.

KORacing

The hardware on the Nemesis outstrips the AEM without a doubt, but again, to the end user, there is probably not a huge difference in how they perform. If you do use the Nemesis you have handy, I'd be happy to come out an tune it, for a fee.

I'm a bit biased, however, as I'm the exclusive distributor for the Hydra Nemesis PnP systems for the MR2 and Celica 3SGTE vehicles.

timmey

RWDragoon":1gh14dr7 said:
As long as you are tuning via Map sensor the Haltech will correct, as the map sensor measures absolute KPA.

My friend has a nice JDM 1JZ Soarer that he had tuned in Victoria, BC - really close to sea level on an island, then drove to Calgary over the Rocky Mountains. In Alberta he was pulled over doing 190km/h (I'm sure that didn't help), with 6' flames out the back of his 3" stainless exhaust. $440+ ticket. lol

He runs an E8 or the Platinum 1000 Haltech, not to trash Haltech or anything. That's my shops standalone of choice, so I went with it too.

Just thought that was funny. :)

Timmey