HKS PFC FCON and FCD

SleepingTurbo

i recently bought an HKS PFC FCON and FCD combo, and i just have a few questions for anyone on here that is running it. i also posted on supramania because i know alot of supra run it too.

but anyways, it did not come with the small manifold pressure sensor, that is usually in the package. this sensor is mounted in the engine bay. now our cars use a secondary MAP sensor correct? but use the MAF as the primary way for fueling?

i was just wondering, would there be any way to use the secondary MAP sensor in our cars, i have a 165, as the source for th FCON? or do i absolutely need the HKs provided unit?

Andy

It uses the AFM for the fuel mix. The stock MAP sensor is only used for fuel cut.

The stock MAP sensor is a 2 Bar, it will read up to 14.7 lbs.The HKS likely needs a 3 Bar sensor, 29.4 lbs max.

I suspect most 3 Bar sensors would work (incl. non HKS). What matters is that they provide the same voltage signal for the same vac/pressure value as the original did.

Andy

Andy

I "think" they mostly follow a standard, but not sure. Using: 0-5 volts where @ 0 vac/pressure the signal will be 2.5 volts. Above 0, seeing pressure, voltage signal is proportional (2.5 - 5) to the "Bar" rating, or max pressure value the sensor can read. Signal below 2.5 v is vacuum. At least, that's how I remember it from a while back, testing, playing with the Arduino.

Example: A HKS 3 bar sensor I got w/a HKS VPC works with a GReddy 3 Bar gauge.

Andy

Andy

I took a look at the FCON data sheet. http://www.alltrac.net/manuals/

I also took a look at the VPC data sheet. In there they show a test for their sensor.
http://www.alltrac.net/manuals/vpc7.jpg

In which they show the 0 pressure voltage to be 1.744 volts not 2.5 (which I know is the 2 Bar, stock sensor output voltage at 0 pressure).

So, my memory/assumption about the 3 Bar using 2.5 v as the "center point" was wrong. Sorry.

It does make sense that they moved it down, because this provides more accuracy over the wider range of pressure that the 3 Bar provides.

Unfortunately the FCON doc does not have the same test for its sensor (that I could find), but I suspect they use the same sensor.

Take a look for the voltage/test specs for a GM or other 3 Bars. If they match up, then I think it should work.

Andy

Andy

You're welcome.

The specs match, at least to their VPC test procedure. So I can't think of why it shouldn't work.

You will need a wiring plug also, be sure to solder/heat shrink.

Andy

SleepingTurbo

i just bought a kit that includes the 3 bar map sensor, and a pigtail and connector. so i just need to know how to install the map sensor. who knows how?

SleepingTurbo

well still havent gotten around to installing this. but i did talk to HKS about how the 3 bar will interface with the FCON.

according to the HKS engineers, they said that the only way to tune it for larger injectors, or other parameters, I would need to buy a GCC to do any tuning with that.

They sent me a chip set list for the FCON specifically pinned for the All Trac and its only 65$. I dont know what those are for, but i have a feeling that there will be a need for that to tune with the FCON and the 3 bar MAP sensor.