AEM EMS-4

toayoztan

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine-ma ... system-58/

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=413033&highlight=Ems4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKKepZwwtU

So I guess AEM just came out with this unit recently. It's strictly for the 4-bangers. Supposed to be better than the Series 1 (I believe Series 2 hasn't come out yet for the 3sgte?), but this ems-4 system will be using the Series2 'stuff'.

Anyways, what do you all think of this? I'm looking for an EMS. Was really considering the AEM (if one could be had for a good price), and I ran into this. I don't need a PnP, since i'm in the process of rebuilding the entire engine and I wouldn't mind putting in some fresh wires too (they have a 96" harness option). RSP (race street performance) supposedly will be offering a PnP route, in case I decide on that.

If it all sounds good, I may just go with this and see how it goes.

Opinions? Most of the tech info can be found on AEM link above.

Goal - 450awhp+ (ish), fully built motor, yadda yadda.

If I could have found a series 1 cheap enough, i would have liked to get it (as it usually comes with sensors, etc. as a package deals time to time on mr2oc), but this unit seems pretty cheap enough to just buy new (granted i'll still need to wire it up, get the sensors, etc).

Bryan

toayoztan

Oh, and a quick question. On the series one aem listed on their website, the part number for the 93-94 alltrac is the same for the 93-95 mr2 turbo. If i'm not mistaken, the 93-95 mr2 turbo has the 3rd gen 3sgte (right? sorry, but don't know much about the mr2's), so why would they utilize the same unit? And i'm guessing the 93-94 was for the production year (confused why 94 is mentioned)...

Bryan

klue

It looks pretty interesting!
I would assume from the design its made more for motorcycles/snowmobile/atv etc but certainly usable on any 4 cylinder.
The new software is much better than aem PRO. Go for it

toayoztan

BoostedBlueToyotas":2uqn3anp said:
All MR2 turbos (91-95) sold in the US had the GenII 3sgte

Ah, thanks. I assume then the 93-95 is the "rev2/version2" of the 2nd gen 3sgte, found on the 93 alltrac?

Yeah it looks pretty interesting though. I should still be able to wire up the 3rd plug of our stock ecu (that goes to the dash area) to this AEM ems-4 unit, yeah?

I don't have AC or cruise control either.

RSP hasn't made the PnP yet for our car, but like I said, I may just use the 96" loom to replace the engine harness. Obviously, i'll be using the stock harnesses for all else.

Bryan

I'm also shopping for engine management & this looks like a great option between Emanage Ultimate and the $1000 (used) AEM units. Anyone have any viable information of how this would work with a 2nd gen motor? I'm only looking for about 350awhp right now, but I want something that will keep my options open for future plans.

Subscribing! :shoots:

toayoztan

celicasilfee":3g6cuhzb said:
I'm also shopping for engine management & this looks like a great option between Emanage Ultimate and the $1000 (used) AEM units. Anyone have any viable information of how this would work with a 2nd gen motor? I'm only looking for about 350awhp right now, but I want something that will keep my options open for future plans.

Subscribing! :shoots:

Are you curious how it will hook up? or how well it will work?

Bryan

^both. Basically ease of install vs price. I know the other AEM's are p&p, but they're a bit out of my price range. The Emanage Ultimate is in my price range, but from what I hear, it's a bitch to get it installed & working right. Whatever system I go with, I'll be installing myself & taking to a tuner to get it dyno tuned. I know of 2 tuners, both almost equal distances from me: one certified with AEM, one certified with Emanage, so I'm not worried about that aspect.... mainly just the install & having things as ready as I can for when I see whichever tuner.

toayoztan

Well, there certainly isn't a true PnP system for our cars with the EMS-4.

However, if you have our ECU pinout diagram, it's not too hard to see which ones hook up to which pinout on the EMS-4. I would suggest an "extension" harness to prevent taking apart the stock harness. I'll be going with the 96" harness most likely.

Only thing i'm really curious about is how the 3rd ecu plug (that goes to the dash area? like the AC, speedo, etc) will hook into this (i'm sure it'll be able to).

How well will it work? IMO from reading up, generally people have issues with the Series1 software/hardware, while the Series2 has shown considerable improvement. There isn't a PnP series2 for our cars, and the universal series2 is pretty expensive (for me anyway). That's where the EMS-4 comes into play. You get the benefit of the Series2 software/hardware (it uses the same program) at a fraction of the price due to limitations for a 4-cylinder only. However, you can't run like dual stage injectors, dual cam control (i think subaru will have issues with this?), etc. But it'll work for me right now, as I really am looking to get rid of the AFM.

I'll probably be calling up RSP (real street performance), ask a few questions, and probably put in an order (i'll ask them about the PnP they are in the process of making too).

Bryan

toayoztan

Any of you with EMS experience? Someone with experience surely has something to say!? :shrug: lol

(about this ems, not suggestions on other ones)

Bryan

Agreed! From the reading I did, this seems like the one of the best options for us now, even if we do have to repin. I already have a jumper harness, so that won't be an issue for me. I want to get rid of my AFM, too, plus have a good software that will control everything I need it to... but without spending almost as much as I have into the car. So far, I'm loving this! I believe I'll be doing the same as you: asking a few questions & placing an order.

toayoztan

I've bought this, not installed yet of course, with the 96" loom, and of course the other sensors I'll need for any other tuning you'd go with (MAP, etc.).

So far, haven't really heard complaints from it, as it uses the same software as the version2.

Again, just need to realize the limitations it has, being it only can do like 4 injectors, etc. It should work for what most of us need.

Bryan

OutToWinPAHC

The EMS-4 is what I will be using on my car. Things awesome for the money, I just did one on a SR20DET with a VE neo head and IT'b setup wasn't bad at all, made 520 tuned last week to the wheels on my friends driftcar

tubasteve

good to hear, im not worried about the sensors as they are dime a dozen at my shop. i was really worried about complaints about the tuning software, unreliability. this car will not really be street driven anymore, just had a hour talk with my engine designer(machinist). ordered some pistons and bottom end to play with on this setup. ill be ordering it this thrusday with the short harness. unless there is a reason i should need/want to go long.
-jr

toayoztan

Hm, I haven't heard but good stuff about the series/version 2 software of AEM, which is what this ems4 also uses.

Bryan

OutToWinPAHC

tubasteve":1nhbkd77 said:
good to hear, im not worried about the sensors as they are dime a dozen at my shop. i was really worried about complaints about the tuning software, unreliability. this car will not really be street driven anymore, just had a hour talk with my engine designer(machinist). ordered some pistons and bottom end to play with on this setup. ill be ordering it this thrusday with the short harness. unless there is a reason i should need/want to go long.
-jr

The software is great, but like anything it takes time to learn. I used to mess with HP tuners, big stuff, and PowerFC before AEM and it was a bit of what he hell the first day, but once you get it going it's not bad.

As for the sensors when I do this I will use the dizzy and carry the setting from the other toyota files, but will use coil near dissy using a LQ coil pack, 3 bar GM map and IAT. Looking at the ECU pinout there is not a whole lot needed to be changed.

tubasteve

OutToWinPAHC":1t1uh0i5 said:
tubasteve":1t1uh0i5 said:
-jr

The software is great, but like anything it takes time to learn. I used to mess with HP tuners, big stuff, and PowerFC before AEM and it was a bit of what he hell the first day, but once you get it going it's not bad.

As for the sensors when I do this I will use the dizzy and carry the setting from the other toyota files, but will use coil near dissy using a LQ coil pack, 3 bar GM map and IAT. Looking at the ECU pinout there is not a whole lot needed to be changed.

i purchased it.............i have all the sensors, ill be looking into the 4 coils idea soon, but no time soon. ive used hondata, messed around with the aem software back then trying to tune evos with this, but decided not to as my dyno time no longer free cause he sold the shop.

So NO ONE has installed this yet? or am i again having reading problems sober.(happens often)
-jr

toayoztan

Nobody on here has hooked it up to an alltrac I believe.

My friend has installed them on various cars at his shop though, and hasn't complained of any issues.

Bryan