ECU Tuning options

rightrac

Can we start a list of known ecu tuning options for the 3sgte? i don't personally know alot about this, but maybe we could catagorize them into full stand alone, partial stand alone... and what every other options are available.
basically create a refference so that people can see what the available options are and then apply them to their personal needs or goals.
I have a friend that chipped (and did a wonderful job) my integra ecu used on my honda, that is currently "decoding" the 3sgte ecu, fuel maps, spark maps.. etc. I am hoping to help him come up with a cost effective modification for our cars to let us tune the ecu in a variety of ways.
in anycase if you guys could help me out that would be great thanks.

SuperWhite92

Mostly everything is gonna be standalone.
AEM EMS, Emanage, Hydra Nemesis, SMT6/7, Haltech, etc

You can find maps for these, possibly bum them off of others here at the site, or make your own. These standalones are usually what people go for, and often allow for things such as the Vane Air Meter and Cold Start Injector to be removed.

However, There are a few "Rom Tuned" ECU's out there.
The first one being the G-Force ECU, which I think has been discontinued (don't quote me)
The other one being ATS Racing's Eprom/TechTom Chip, which they can build for you based on your modifications.

MrWOT

I'm personally going with the SMT7, because I wish to retain alot of the stock ECU functions, plus it will allow you to still remove the VAM. For the price, the TEC3 is hard to beat, but it takes some getting used to, in terms of a pure standalone.

polarmoment

rightrac":3raore8m said:
I have a friend that chipped (and did a wonderful job) my integra ecu used on my honda, that is currently "decoding" the 3sgte ecu, fuel maps, spark maps.. etc. I am hoping to help him come up with a cost effective modification for our cars to let us tune the ecu in a variety of ways.
in anycase if you guys could help me out that would be great thanks.

how is he doing this? does he have access to an ECU with a daughterboard installed? from the factory, the memory is stored exclusively in the processor.. if he has a .bin that he's looking at from a chipped 3SGT ECU, could you email it my way? i'd love to help out with this..
grue0038@umn.edu

Gary

Other fron ATS, G-force, Sard, there are also Blitz and Mine ECU.
There is a comparison on MR2OC.

furpo

OlyST185":30qxvdpz said:
MEGASQUIRT!!! :D

mmmm UMS

down here there are motec, autronic and link.

the link ecu is a very good tool. i have used both the LEM and the link plus with very good results. link are in the process of releasing there link 3 which is their version of the ultimate ecu to chalange the likes of motec.

here is a link to the forums http://forums.link-electro.co.nz/

also a good ecu reference is http://www.efi101.com/forum/

roger

Weasy2k

I should be releaseing some fairly competitve standalones in the future as well...right now i would go for Hydra as being hte best bet :)
TEC is nice as well!

Griffin

Meh - I have yet to see anything come close to AEM for ease of tuning and street driveability. AEM has the best tuning software hands down, and their ECU comes with so many cool standard features its not even funny.

Weasy2k

Griffin":3fterqoz said:
Meh - I have yet to see anything come close to AEM for ease of tuning and street driveability. AEM has the best tuning software hands down, and their ECU comes with so many cool standard features its not even funny.

Hydra Nemisis was almsot built for the MR2 and Celica....its a great unit as well.

Griffin

Weasy2k":31hfos1m said:
Griffin":31hfos1m said:

Hydra Nemisis was almsot built for the MR2 and Celica....its a great unit as well.

The hardware is good, the software doesn't come close to AEM.

Weasy2k

Griffin":3gxt2hi5 said:
Weasy2k":3gxt2hi5 said:
Griffin":3gxt2hi5 said:

Ahh ok...never played with the software yet so i dont know :shrug:

I cant wait to start work on a XMS install (stand alone from perfect power) on a GEN III mr2.

Griffin

Weasy2k":2kpc7ge1 said:
Griffin":2kpc7ge1 said:
Weasy2k":2kpc7ge1 said:
Griffin":2kpc7ge1 said:

Yah - IMO the graphing and logging stuff for the Hydra is not as good and the feedback mapping isn't as easy PLUS AEM lets you use boost comp so you can use essentially a 2D map and a throttle comp map, and tune fuel in like 5 pulls on the street and just a bit of highway driving. Ignition takes a bit more but still is easily done on the street.

The main reason that folks like the Hydra so much is the suppot they get from Ricky B. But if you know enough that you don't need the support I think the AEM is far superior.

Weasy2k

Griffin":11s4tde7 said:
Weasy2k":11s4tde7 said:
Weasy2k":11s4tde7 said:

Yah - IMO the graphing and logging stuff for the Hydra is not as good and the feedback mapping isn't as easy PLUS AEM lets you use boost comp so you can use essentially a 2D map and a throttle comp map, and tune fuel in like 5 pulls on the street and just a bit of highway driving. Ignition takes a bit more but still is easily done on the street.

The main reason that folks like the Hydra so much is the suppot they get from Ricky B. But if you know enough that you don't need the support I think the AEM is far superior.

Thanks to the info thats good when making referals :)

SurrealTrac

There was a link under "easy mods" on the main page about making your own programmable ECU. This link is now broken, wondering if anyone has the information that was on this page and/or any experiences to report? This sounds like a good learning experience I would love to take advantage of instead of paying out the ass to have someone tune mine for me.

Weasy2k

SurrealTrac":3i0iu2vi said:
There was a link under "easy mods" on the main page about making your own programmable ECU. This link is now broken, wondering if anyone has the information that was on this page and/or any experiences to report? This sounds like a good learning experience I would love to take advantage of instead of paying out the ass to have someone tune mine for me.

They are probably refering to Megasquirt...
www.megasquirt.info

LOTS OF WORK :) you have ot have tons of experince with solder or just some patience :p

I installed one on a 84 2L 8V Rabbit and it runs well....