-[updated]-Stuck in safe mode? BOOST PROBLEMS!-[updated]-

A

Anonymous

Okay, I've done a search on this forum for posts related to safe mode. I only found one good post and didnt even answer my question.

my friend just got an ST165 yesterday. It had the check engine light on and it turned out it has a bad o2 sensor and the intercooler was low. so we replaced the o2 sensor and fill the intercooler. reset the ecu and turned the car back on. the intercool code is gone but the o2 sensor code is still there. so we took it for a couple mile drive to see if the o2 sensor needed to "break in". we reset the ecu again and fired it back up. the o2 sensor code is still there.

now, our problem is, the car wont boost at all. the guage will move up to 0 and maybe +1~2psi if youre lucky. we never hit the fuel cut-off either...

my question is, is it possible that the car is stuck in safe mode because of the o2 sensor or some other reason?

can someone explain exactly what safe mode does to your car? and how to get out of safe mode?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Okay, we got the check engine light turned off... and we reset the ecu. still... no boost... and no error codes... and no fuel cut off.

how do you turn off safe mode? or is it another problem?

The car isnt slow... but it isnt fast either... it just feel like a stock non-turbo'd 4 cylinder.

anyone have any idea what is wrong?

A

Anonymous

Gary":tc3sji8w said:
Loose vacuum line?
Is this ST165?

we checked the vacuum lines for the waste gate... and a all of the other vacuum lines we could find...

Yes... this is a st165

is there a hard to see vacuum line that can stop the turbo from boosting?

A

Anonymous

I have another possible reason his car isnt boosting. his charge light and brake light are on. i know what this problem is... and his alternator fried. would a fried alternator throw you into safe mode too?

apampe

So I'm Bridge's friend with the ST165. I just fixed the short in the wires going to the alternator and replaced the alternator. It's running agian, but the turbo is still not boosting.

Yes, I have checked the vacuum lines I can easily get to around the TB, but no promises that's 100% of them. Are there hard to get to lines under the TB?

Oh, and as for the O2 sensor, that was the same wire bundle as the alternator that was damaged. That is why the "check engine light" didn't go off then the sensor was replaced. Now there is no "check engine light", nor a battery/brake light; the wire bundle is repaired.

Also, one more little question..... I've heard that the computer tries to tell what octane of gas you have then boosts more with higher octane. Is this true, and if so how does it do this?

apampe

one more thought........

so to test if this is a vacuum leak or the computer limiting the boost I was wanting to bypass the valve (VSV? sorry don't have my repair manual in front of me, but it did show a valve) in the vacuum line between the intake manifold and the actuator running the waste gate. The problem is, I can't find this valve; anybody know where it is?

___Scott___

This sounds like a knock sensor problem.

An easy test is to try some higher octane fuel and see if the "bOOst" (I hate that word) goes up. Another test is to remove the knock sensor and tie it to a hose with the electrical connection still hooked up and see if that helps.

stiv

I would make sure that there aren't any air intake leaks.

Also, are you sure the turbo isn't shot? My turbo was on its last leg when I got my 165.