OK quick Back story.
1992 ST185, Had the car about 7 years now. Replaced the motor with a low mileage JDM a few years ago. Have about 185k on the chassis, very little rust, spent most of its life in Texas. Car is near bone stock except a double thick radiator and some silicone radiator and intake hoses.
ECU died this winter and I opened it up to check the Caps. 3 had popped and leaked all over the board. spent 10 bucks and replaced them all, still no good. Didn't feel like trying to track down the bad tracers so started searching around for a USDM replacement ECU but wasn't having much luck.
Decided to bite the bullet and get a stand alone but the prices were a bit out of reach for my budget. Even the MSPNP was stretching it a little bit.
I ordered the MSPNP TS9395 on a Monday, it showed up on Saturday last week. Didn't have time/weather till today to get it in.
Package contents had everything I needed except a better alternative to the IAT sensor mounting and about 4 more feet of wire. Instructions were for an MR2 so I had to make due.
They sent me an aluminum bung I would have to find some place to drill and weld to. Wasn't too keen on trying to locate a place to do that since I still have a pretty much stock setup with TMIC. Thankfully after some research I came across this adapter plate for the cold start injector hole. Since I was going stand alone I figured no harm in deleting the injector.http://koracing.net/viewproduct.php?fol ... roduct=600http://www.mrcontrols.com/products/matplate.htm
Of course I had to remove the throttle body and IC to get access to all of this.
Ended up reusing the banjo bolt with about 6 copper crush washers to plug the hole in the fuel rail for the cold start injector. No leaks after pressure testing it a few times so it was good for me.
Wiring was pretty straight forward. Just plug the stock harness into the ECU, and add a vacuum line T'd from the FPR to the built in 3 bar MAP sensor. IAT gets wired into an auxiliary port. Remove the AFM and that's about it.
Was trying to make this as PNP as possible and wanted to avoid drilling the firewall, so I cut a small slit in the stock rubber boot that bolts to the firewall for the wiring harness and fed the vacuum line and new IAT wires through.
After that I just plugged my laptop into the MSPNP and fired up tuner studio. I had to make a couple of small changes that are in the install directions. Set injector size, and Base timing. I've never done anything like this before so it wasn't too bad for a noob.
Fired right up but its running a bit rich now. Didn't have time to get any further than that today before I had to go to work. Only other thing that's a bit goofy is the temp gauge on the dash is pegged at H. Not sure whats going on there.
Overall wasn't bad. 3ish hours with a trip to home depot for some heat shrink tubing,tape, and sealant. As I get it dialed in I'll report back. I'll see if I can snap some photos tomorrow.