3SGTE ECU ..to run a 7AGTE?

JedzWagn

Hi gents,
A bit of history.
Essentially I'm a noob who likes to tackle decent sized projects with a bit of intensity and I learn as I go.

I went to fit a 4AGZE (1.6L supercharged) into my alltrac wagon, but the block doesn't clear the 4wd transfer case. So what some people do is grind clearance in the block where the oil pan bolts up.
More about that in these 2 photo album threads. Scroll through photos, read the comments and you'll see what I mean.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I wasn't happy with the idea of grinding the block so I uprated to a 1.8L block that has the required clearance from factory.
The 1.8L block commonly referred to as a 7AGTE has had extensive machine work done to the head and bottom end, is fitted with forged internals and will run a high flowing sports head, custom manifold and turbo.

The challenge I'm facing, and the reason for this thread is that in the state of Victoria Australia, where I come from, we are not allowed to run programmable computers or piggy back systems.
The ECU has to be a sealed un-programmable unit.

Further to this, the vehicle has to pass strict emissions testing.
So not knowing much about the various 3SGTE generations, I thought I'd post and see if anyone has experience in the differences between 3sgte sensors & CAS vs 4AGZE sensors & CAS?

The idea would be to adapt the 3SGTE wiring to suit 4AGZE sensors.

I'm more mechanically minded than electronically minded so any time taken to explain opinions in a technically informative way is really appreciated.

Thanks - Jed

JedzWagn

So guys..
This project is still going ahead. I need some input from tech-heads who not only understand the 3SGTE generations really well, it'll also help if you understand more complex issues like the relationship between throttle sizes, valve diameters, cam sizes, compression ratios and turbos.

For example would using 3sgte ECU on a turbo 1.8L engine be better suited to high compression ratio or would it be better to use a standard head gasket and shim to lower compression and slightly increase capacity.

See more about what I am up to here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... uploaded=1

Thanks

captaingowa

What is your specific question?
There are pdf books on the web by Toyota that are free to download that discuss all specifics and the differences in technology used in varying ECU's.

But you need to first understand that the ECUs are not made to interact with the engine rather the specific sensors and solenoids. Which can be moved to and from similar engines as long as you can adapt the interacting components.

Good luck!

FC Zach

Why not cheat and run a small Haltec inside your gutted OEM ECU?
IMG_20150409_215652_058.jpg
With the cover on, it's hard to tell.

FC Zach

Also, the Haltec works great coupled with their wideband controller. So that may help with your strict emissions testing.

captaingowa

FC Zach":1s2hrjyx said:

Nice!
I notice you have a custom relay box back there as well, is that simply for the Haltech?

FC Zach

captaingowa":2ps6izwv said:
FC Zach":2ps6izwv said:

Nice!
I notice you have a custom relay box back there as well, is that simply for the Haltech?

Yes, for that as well as an electronic fan (2nd gen RX7s are mechanical).