supra injectors part 2

ruffneck

ok, so I got my 550cc soopra injectors (wicked), just thought I'd ask before the install, do the injectors just push out of the fuel rail?, the chiltons manual doesn't go into too much detail, it just says "remove", also are new insulators and spacers required, or can you just re-use the ones on there...thanks anyone

Griffin

the O-rings and stuff should be replaced, but the injectors themselves can just be pulled out once the retaining plate over the ends has been removed.

For what its worth I found it easier to remove the entire fuel rail and service it off the vehicle.

Plex

Coat the o rings with vaseline so they dont become all brittle and crusty later on, they'll last longer..

ruffneck

thanks guys, that's the kind of advice I was looking for....I will be using these with an ems, but just out of curiousity, how would these run on a stock ecu?...mine is a jap import and runs lean as hell, so I'm thinking it mightn't be too bad?

Griffin

ruffneck":2h5xvhg7 said:
thanks guys, that's the kind of advice I was looking for....I will be using these with an ems, but just out of curiousity, how would these run on a stock ecu?...mine is a jap import and runs lean as hell, so I'm thinking it mightn't be too bad?

You would be about 25% rich - which is to say it would run like crapola.

tweekgt4

i just swapped out my supra 540cc with st205 540cc injectrors.

definitely remove the fuel rail to change injectors. it's a pain in the butt to pull the injectors out of the rail. i had to pull my supra ones out of my own rail and then i had to pull the st205 injectors out of that rail. took me a friggin hour of wiggling, pulling, and twisting...

before you do the swap, be sure to get new injector o-rings and the fuel rail insulators with spacers.

ruffneck

just some questions -
Coat the o rings with vaseline so they dont become all brittle and crusty later on, they'll last longer..
doesn't vaseline break down rubber (as in o-rings)?

i just swapped out my supra 540cc with st205 540cc injectrors.
why did you do that, what is the difference if they are both 540cc?
before you do the swap, be sure to get new injector o-rings and the fuel rail insulators with spacers.
I got them reco'ed while they are out of the car, so they have new o-rings, any reason not to re-use the spacers and insulators?
thanks again guys...

Plex

vaseline wont break down the rubber as far as I know... coat them or dont coat them.. lol your choice..

tweekgt4

ST205 have 4 spray nozzles while the Supra has 2.

Not recommended if you don't have an EMS or the ST205 ecu to control the ST205 injectors. They spray a LOT more fuel.

RedCelicaTRD

They both give the same amount of fuel but the st205 injectors will mix better. This will give you a more even burn which is always a good thing.

Wreckless

I would highly recommend the use of lithium grease as a lubricant when installing new injectors and o-rings. Fuel should only be used as a lubricant in a pinch. The bottom line here is that its easier to make a trip to NAPA and spend the few bucks on a tube of the proper stuff than it is to rebuild your car after an engine fire. Its worth it for the peace of mind.

Yes, Vaseline will break down rubber, which is why you're not supposed to use vaseline as a lubricant when you're wearing a condom.

As for a more "even burn", you'd be a hell of a lot better off to just send the injectors to RC or somewhere to get flow-matched. As long as you didn't do something silly like extrude hone your intake manifold, the casting roughness provides plenty of turbulence to ensure proper fuel atomization. I think the differences between a 4-nozzle and 2-nozzle injector would be negligable within those circumstances.

Plex

Wreckless":2pyxwiyf said:
Yes, Vaseline will break down rubber, which is why you're not supposed to use vaseline as a lubricant when you're wearing a condom.

Interesting... never thought of it that way.. a Toyota Tech i know said to use vaseline... weird stuff.. :p

ruffneck

OKAY, so they are in now, and the car runs beautifully, better than it ever has before....and it really wasn't that hard either....I was expecting it to be running badly when I first started it, but nope, runs like a dream, and on standard management too....thanks to everyone for their help and advice.