MAP ECU vs. all?

Aracheon

I also posted this on CelicaTech, but, does anyone here use the MAP ECU on their car, or have any prior experience with it? A friend of mine runs it on his TT Supra, and it's supposed to be compatible with the AllTrac. It's in the same price range as the SMT6/7, but doesn't have quite as many features, but the tuneability is pretty user friendly from what I can tell.

Anyone have any info / experience on this?

furpo

i have had experience with the map ecu on mitsis. it works well, the only problem i had was accereration enrichment.

still i would stay clear of ecu adjustment devices such as this and save for a stand alone ecu. the result is a lot better and a lot less complicated.

roger

Aracheon

I wouldn't say a standalone is less complicated by any means... there's so much more control and adjustment that it adds several layers to the complexity of tuning. But it's that same flexibility that makes a standalone so appealing. I've heard both good and bad about the AEM, and I can't seem to get a good, quality, definitive answer about what EMS' yield the best results.

furpo

i find them less complicated. i guess it because i have tuned enough now to just do it.

everyone has there own opinions about ecus. what i do is get a hold of the tuning software and play around with it. if i like it i ask the dealer to run me through the tuning on a real car and see what type of result they get and make my mind up from that.

i have a personal favorite which is the redline weber 882 unit. the only unit i have used that i did not like was the power fc but i did not use the tuning software, only the hand controller.

roger