hoses from hell

alltrac.net

I should note for anyone trying to do this mission in the middle of the night that I was able to replace the HFH using only parts found at kragen. Total cost $11. This included:

4" piece of hose in the right thickness
2 very small hose clamps
1 package of "muffler repair" tape to keep it from getting hot

Before I installed the hose I completely covered it in the muffler repair tape for heat rejection. Almost a year later the hose is holding up. In fact the car is a friend of mine, his daughter's car and it's daily driven.

This isn't the ideal solution but it is an option. I still suggest buying proper parts from Toyota.

Felix

I never got into detail about the hfh on the old server...
what's is the hfh's main objective...i know it is a simple part, but getting to it and replacing it is a bitch. I don't wnat to overlook any potential problems while tuning up and doing maintenance on the AT

Gary

Felix":13k72c85 said:
I never got into detail about the hfh on the old server...
what's is the hfh's main objective...i know it is a simple part, but getting to it and replacing it is a bitch. I don't wnat to overlook any potential problems while tuning up and doing maintenance on the AT

Read the link I post above. HFH is just a coolant hose that use to cool the oil at the oil cooler. Parts numbers on that link match what mofoparrot posted in the part number section.

gtfourdreams

if you still need them, i can get them from my order list tomorrow. i like using OEM ones, not the NAPA crap because if you bend the straight ones at such a sharp angle they deteriorate faster. (from my experience) i also use OEM clamps, but thats a personal taste thing.

billprice

twoFOURS":2sh78f75 said:
What are the part numbers for hoses from hell?
Any help much appreciated.

Hose from Hell#1 16283-88381
Hose from Hell#2 16282-88380

lildevil.gif

Stubble

Robert,
If your Kragen fix worked, either you are lucky or I'm unlucky. When I was first learning to repair my car, I tackled this job and didn't use the OEM hose, just a hose from Napa or something. I wrapped it in insulation used for aircraft exhaust. Two months later, the hose had disintegrated and I got to do the job again - this time with the correct Toyota part ($5 if I remember).

I strongly recommend going with the OEM hoses.

acylon

I have both hoses from hell, used for 100miles, make offer..
I went to an external oil cooler. These are factory Toyota bought a couple months ago, installed, used for 100miles, removed carefully as they were not cheap. Make me an offer :lol:

Dano

In March 2003 Toyota replaced engine oil cooler bypass hoses on my 1993 MR2 but only listed part #16283-88381 for $5.30 CDN. They also made a few mistakes on this bill like charging me twice for a distributor cap.

However in June 2003 the same dealership, on my 1988 Celica turbo 4wd, charged me for:
"Water by-pass hose" #16283-88380 $56 CDN
"By-pass hose" #16295-88380 $34.80 CDN
"By-pass hose" #16282-88380 $17.30 CDN

twoFOURS: the HFH parts# you need will likely depend on which generation of the 3sgte engine you have.