ST205 Front clip, mounted on st185 chassis.

Kappa

I want to know if this is possible. I'd rather have a 3rd Gen 3sgte if I could get it. So is it possible, do the motor mounts match up and whatnot? Does it line up to the driveshaft at all? I'm just curious because I'll probably end up ordering a front clip (unless someone have a wrecked car w/ a drivetrain, i need everything from the driveshaft up.)

Any info/feedback would be excellent.
Thanks,
Romeo

CMS-GT4

Its more cost effective to build a 2nd gen 3sgte then to swap and build a 3rd gen. For the same cost, you would have a better engine with more power, IMHO.

Est. 4K+ swap.

4k Forged internals, better turbo etc...

Kappa

Okay, someone's telling me bolts right up, someone else is telling me that it's not cost effective? Is is the cost of the clip that prohibits it? Or what? Like the driveshafte lines up, etc. Is there any extra wiring work involved in the ECU and such (like any plugs that're missing and need to be added??)

Also, do you know of a place that has the ST front clips in stock, my guy that I usually deal with only ever has one or two a year. If you know of a place or person that has them from time to time I'd leave to hear more! :) Thanks a bunch.

Dennis

CMS-GT4

Should bolt up. You will have to find out how to make the speedo reader work. 185 uses a gear, I think 205 is elec.

Axels gearbox ect works together. I have heard that wiring any JDM 3sgte into a celica is a pin, and costly to have done.

I think the cost alone of the parts for a 205 clip is too much weighed against the cost of tuning a 2nd gen. IMHO.

Kappa

the speedo thing isn't a big deal, i've dealt w/ that on MR2 3rd gen swaps, and if I can get a harness, I can get it working. I just need the plugs to match up, other than that I can do all the wiring behind those plugs.

And you're referring to the cost of replacing like the head gasket or somethign like that that isnt' the same as the 2nd Gen, I'm not worried about it. I'm jus curoius about bolting it up and the location of everything like the clutch lines and such.

LechacZ

I've done it and yes it is a straight drop in... The mounts have to be taken from the second gen and it fits in perfectly.
Shafts fit in perfectly, hood clearance is OK except for the rubber piece around the scoop which will have to be removed unless u want to scratch up the IC, the speedo will be the second gen swapped into the 3rd gen...
Mechanically its a piece of cake, electrical side is a different animal though!
Wiring will take a lot of time and patience

Kappa

I wouldn't say the 3rd gen is the only that the st205 has to offer. It has a better transmission, some of them (very few however) came with factory water injection, and a bunch of other goodies i'd like ot get my hands on. plus after working with both the CT26, and "CT20b" turbochargers on MR2s, and knowing that i'm not interested in upgrading this turbocharger (that's what my MR2 is for), I'd much rather have the CT20b anyways.

I was just curious, thank you for the answers.

LechacZ, I take it you have done this before, can I reach you through Email or IM to get some more information off you. My email is dennis@dennisinhawaii.com I'd love to catch some info from you. :)

D

illGT4

water injection was is not installed. However It is there. Same with the anti-lag.

(options on WRC models and some are saying the first few XXX models of ST205

alltracman78

Kappa":36c0o3hx said:
Okay, someone's telling me bolts right up, someone else is telling me that it's not cost effective? Is is the cost of the clip that prohibits it? Or what? Like the driveshafte lines up, etc. Is there any extra wiring work involved in the ECU and such (like any plugs that're missing and need to be added??)

1st off, this is all what I've read, I've never actually done this, soo....

All mech parts will bolt right in. If you have a clip, you have the ecu, and all wiring. You probably want (if you can get it) wiring diagrams of the 205. There's 2 plugs next to the ecu that come from the engine wiring harness (on the 185), you will have to splice the corresponding wires. Then you have the wiring by the battery that you will also have to splice corresponding wires.
Only advantages the 205 has engine wise is ecu, turbo, ic, and 550 inj. Don't know if the manifold is better or not. Doesn't have T-VIS ( I believe). CR is lower (8.5?).
So, if you are already going to upgrade to a ems and better turbo/ic, you're pretty much wasting your time/$$ with the 205 engine. If you just plan to swap it in and leave it pretty much stock, you're ~60hp stronger.
Trans has better (stronger) syncros, and depending who you talk to, better gearing.

Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong.

illGT4

the 205 will fit just fine. (mechanically)

What to be worried about is if you go 3rd gen; is to get all the sensor in the engine bay that you will need. The ignitor, MAP, etc..

if you are getting a clip, than you should get everything IF it is complete.

If the clip is from a RHD 205, you'll need to extend the wiring harness to be installed into a LHD 185.

If it were me, and I wanted a 3rd gen clip, i'd extend the wiring harness and use EVERYTHING from the clip.. The ECU, sensors, etc..

It will bolt up fine. Small things such as the mech vs. elec. speedo gear is different.. but you just keep the 185 gear.

MONEY wise.. I don't know what you are paying for a 3rd gen clip. If you don't need/want the gearbox and other NON engine related parts (brakes , front suspension which I don't believe would fit being super strut) then you will save money getting a 2nd gen 3SGTE.

For instance. .if your 3rd gen clip is running you $3000US.. and you can get a 2nd gen for $1000..

It's all in what you need. Tell us Exactly what you are wanting to do, and what is currently not meeting your needs; and we'll do our best to give you an opinion.

Kappa

illGT4":2aaqanbx said:
For instance... .you can get a 2nd gen for $1000..

Wait, where can I get a 2nd Gen clip for 1000$ Cause I DO need the clip. I'm buying a car that's completely gutted (engine bay that is). If you can tell me that, I'll go that route, I knew the ST205 3rd gen would cost like 3000, but i figured a 2nd gen would be about 2500. If you can show me one for 1000, i'd tear it down and do all the seals and still have $ left. Let me know, that'd really make my day!! :)

Ro

AWDios

It works fine just make sure you get the ECU.

It depends on what you'd rather have. You could build up a 2g and make it a better motor than a stock 3g.

Or you could start with a better motor, and then build it later.

3g has bigger injectors, better intake mani, better stock turbo, no AFM, more stock HP. AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS...... THE OIL FILTER IS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOCK!!!! NO MORE DUMPING OIL ALL OVER THE PLACE AND WAITING 3 HOURS FOR THE BAY TO GET COLD ENOUGH TO CHANGE THE OIL. :smokes:

Kappa

From being in the MR2 world for like 3-4 years now, and being involved in almost a dozen jdm swaps, I understand the differences in motors I was just wondering on fitment in this car. Can anyone get me any information on 2nd Gen clips for 1000$? :) Or st205 clips.

Thanks,
Ro

zblu81

I think he meant just the 185 motor for replacing a blown one, but if you need everything in the engine bay you might as well get the 205 clip.
:eek:fftopic:
AWDios... I understand the part about not having to wait for the engine to cool off(that is a pita) but how do you spill oil all over with the gen2 3sgte? when I change my oil the filter always drains itself right out of the drainplug