Best method of launching?

SuperWhite92

Only way I can get boost is bouncing the rev limiter a few times, but I can't hold it to launch, since i don't launch that high in the rpm band

alltracman78

yeah, you really can't build boost when your just sitting there....
It will build a little bit if you rev it high, but won't stay...

yettegog

yeah, you really can't build boost when your just sitting there....
It will build a little bit if you rev it high, but won't stay...

that was the impression i was under. thanks for the tips guys.[/quote]

furpo

i picked up a trick from someone on here that works very well. if you connect the timing wire in the diagnostic box up it will dump all the ignition timing and cause a miss fire at high rpm. i have it set up on a clutch switch so that when i dump the clutch it goes back to normal and i get full (ie factory) boost on the start line.

roger

SuperWhite92

you wouldn't want to do a quick write-up of what you did to make it function like that, would you Roger. That's amazingly helpful for launching.

Also, what kind of clutch are you using, and how does the clutch feel and smell after you launch on boost?

timg

92AllTracTurbo":3vpwyimi said:
Weird, Guest posting is still enabled?

My opinion a good launch is slipping the clutch at around 5500. If you dont understand what I mean by slipping the clutch, it's basically not letting the clutch out all the way and having the gas all the way down until the clutch fully grabs and let go. Kinda hard to explain... HTH.

i know what you mean.

EricGT4

furpo":19wdf78e said:
i picked up a trick from someone on here that works very well. if you connect the timing wire in the diagnostic box up it will dump all the ignition timing and cause a miss fire at high rpm. i have it set up on a clutch switch so that when i dump the clutch it goes back to normal and i get full (ie factory) boost on the start line.

roger

Yeah thats a two step. My buddy has one on his cobra. Rev limiter is at 3 grand on the 1st step just for the launch and then goes back to 7500 after that. Pretty cool actually.

All Fours

I might just add my 2c to this rather old topic

The launch technique I found best was simply a clutch dump from about 5,500rpm. Gives a bit of wheelspin - which you want, this is on the Meremere that was being complained about earlier :D

With a full faced kevlar clutch disk and heavy duty PP, using this technique I managed a 1.746 60ft, the 3rd on http://www.gtfour.ca/race.html despite only being the 15th fastest 1/4 mile (and only 0.043 from the best 60ft)

slick1851

InitialD93":2h0w83xa said:
i have dumped the clutch at revlimiter before with still no wheel spin... still bogs a bit but thats at the race track... never dumped it on the street

Your tranny will thank you later for that im sure, They way you launch a awd car is to rev it up a bit, depends on your setup and what rpm you think is best.

Dont dump it like most people say, you never get a clean launch like that, As you rev it to lets say 6,300 let out the clutch slow then very fast. Slip it just a little and they let it out fast. Its not to easy, and back in the day I had to learn how. Who ever is say just dump well go ahead, STI have reved it up and just DUMPd it. Geuss ill still out launch them...Rember Little slip and then let it out.

fsmtnbiker

slick1851":11mjmnjh said:
Your tranny will thank you later for that im sure.

Actually, our cars aren't DSMs and don't typically have any trouble with broken drivetrain parts... Regardless of abuse or power.

All Fours

fsmtnbiker":hrgcg2tu said:
slick1851":hrgcg2tu said:
Your tranny will thank you later for that im sure.

Actually, our cars aren't DSMs and don't typically have any trouble with broken drivetrain parts... Regardless of abuse or power.

mustn't be thrashing your's hard enough :D
e150foutput.jpg

slick1851

fsmtnbiker":3mw3tivt said:
It just doesn't have enough power or clutch to hurt itself... Yet. :)

Yeah honeslty even Skylines drivetrain will break, I mean you guys are dumping? I bet your bogging also when you dump, dont let that confuse you with getting to much traction. Your shocking the drivetrain by doing that and then your bogging down and getting out of your power band and you pick back up.

AWD is AWD I dont care what car you in, EVOs,STIs, etc even WRXs use the slip clutch method. Just because somthing isnt broke you either arent making enough power or it just hasnt broken yet.

SuperWhite92

slick1851":1zdk8lat said:
I mean you guys are dumping? I bet your bogging also when you dump, dont let that confuse you with getting to much traction. Your shocking the drivetrain by doing that and then your bogging down and getting out of your power band and you pick back up.

I can't slip anymore (I used to) due to my choice of aftermarket clutch. Let me tell you though. In my near-stock outfit, I actually bounce the car off the limiter with wheelspin, and by the time I get traction I'm well into the powerband. It's not my first choice of launching, but in my stockish outfit, it was good for a 1.83 at NA2005. Slipping would have netted slightly better, but a 1.8 is nothing to sneeze at for a near-stock alltrac.

theUNYTEDone

ahhhh im VERY scared to try and launch now...i know i'll need to eventually...but won't it totally kill your clutch? and i know clutch jobs for our cars arent exactly easy....OR cheap...

RafaCalde

i found slipping is the best method. it doesn't shock the tranny(badly if at all) and you are less likely to break something. a buddy of mine has a Spec stage3 and just dumps it. he's broken three axles that. i my slef am going to invest in a stage 2 right now, my clutch started slipping a few months ago so i'm gonna change it out during spring break. i figure that and higher boost i should run good time. i'm not the best driver yet so in time i'm hoping to do 13's in the 1/4. it's possible i've already talked to guys that have done the same setup, so i'll see what i can do.