New all-trac owner with some questions

Khyron

What's up? Well, after about 5 years of trying to buy my buddy's 90 all-trac which he's had torn apart in his garage he fianlly caved and sold it to me. Persistence pays off I suppose. Anyway, I bought the Japanese 3sgte motor/tranny for the vehicle and started checking out ebay for clutch kits. The one I'm most interested in is the Stage 3 F1 racing clutch kit. I e-mailed the seller who has a ton of these things for sale for all different cars and he told me that the kit will work for the motor but that the release bearing may not be compatible. Has anyone else used this kit or could someone recommend a good replacement kit for the car? I'm also looking for a nice set of ventilated discs as well. Any help I could get would be great. As soon as I have the vin in front of me I'll be registering the vehicle on this site. Thanks in advance for your help.

AWDrifter

i would go with a spec stage 1. if your going to bild the car go with a stage 3! depending on what kind of HP you are going for.

d1alltrac

i dont have any personal experience yet but it seems to be most people are more then satisfied with their spec clutches. i remember a thread a few days back about one guy trying out an ebay clutch kit and how bad it was.

personally i would spend the extra money and go with something more reputable...im also waiting on griffin's results with his feramic clutch from South Bend Clutches, should be pretty good

Khyron

Thanks for the reply. The car already has a few modifications done to it (Electronic valve controller, boost controller, relocated battery for cold air intake) but I'm still up in the air whether I want to take the car back to stock or continue with the mods. A freind of mine told me that the stage 3 kit will grab big time when you shift, true or no?
I like sleeper cars and I'm really not into the idea of altering it's appearance, I think they look great out of the box. If I could make my computer do what I tell it to do I would have posted a picture of her when I signed up but alas, I'm lucky I know how to e-mail. Thanks again.

Khyron

Ebay: the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. Actually I found another company selling clutches for the all-trac. This one's called eclutchmaster.com and they have an oem clutch for $135.00. I'm also under the impression that I should replace the master cylinder while the motor and tranny are out of the car. Again, any recommendations on what to purchse and from whom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

db

I have a Clutchmasters stage 3, with a Fidanza flywheel. I'd recommend both highly.

Stay away from stage 1 clutches if you ever want to have "fun" with the car. Spend a little extra money now to avoid changing the clutch again sooner.

Khyron

I appreciate all of the input. I checked out sone different sellers and found an oem clutch for $155 which should hopefully be here early next week. The software for my kodak camera hasn't really worked since August of last year but as soon as i get it figured out i'll post some pics. Again, thanks!

Oh yeah, I saw a black st165 go through Biglerville, PA yesterday and didn't know if that person is a member here or not. If so drop me a line... later.

theUNYTEDone

db":212dalta said:
I have a Clutchmasters stage 3, with a Fidanza flywheel. I'd recommend both highly.

Stay away from stage 1 clutches if you ever want to have "fun" with the car. Spend a little extra money now to avoid changing the clutch again sooner.

DB, i know we kind of touched on the subject before, but how is that fidanza flywheel working for you? what kind of performance is she dishing out?

db

The flywheel is working great. Never had starter engagement problems. Still working good after 25k miles without incident. You can definitely tell that its there. It makes drivability a little worse because of the touchy power-on/power-off transitions, but its not unbearable. (But I'm also driving the car daily without the power steering system as well and still think the car is bearable.) As for performance, I could tell immediately that the engine revs quicker with it in. Unfortunately, I've never tracked the car, either before or after the install, so I don't know the exact difference that it makes. However, dropping 7 or more pounds from the stock flywheel is going to make a difference, I can guarantee that.

Plus, I like having it made out of aluminum from a company that's easy to source replacement parts and surfaces from. If I ever need to rebuild it, I'm confident that I won't have to order obscure Japanese parts for it.

fhalperformance

even if it doesnt help performance, youd be amazed by the gas mileage youll be getting. i put a fidanza flywheel on my 7th gen and i got 40 miles per gallon around town compared to 24 i had before. plus the car feels more alive.

AWDrifter

if you like sleepers go with a front mount and put a stock celica hood on it that will give you all the sleep you need lol :)

theUNYTEDone

wow, that mileage bit seems VERY awesome! :D 40 MPG is a lot...but anyway, so DB, would you advise i have a flywheel put in at the same time as a clutch installation (kind of planning a bit ahead of things, but i like having goals)...? and how much did your flywheel cost?

fhalperformance

i put in an act 6 puck street clutch and a fidanza flywheel. i think the flywheel was 500 new (?) but ive seen them for less used. and getting 40 mpg around town is not how i like to drive and you either (i can be driving in 6th around 40mph ish, shifting at like below 3000 rpm, ... its been a while i forget the specifics other than how much it got). i get the same gas mileage my moms completely useless hybrid car gets around town.

its cheaper to do the clutch and flywheel together.

db

theUNYTEDone":36tyqn4o said:
wow, that mileage bit seems VERY awesome! :D 40 MPG is a lot...but anyway, so DB, would you advise i have a flywheel put in at the same time as a clutch installation (kind of planning a bit ahead of things, but i like having goals)...? and how much did your flywheel cost?

Yes, I'd recommend that you do the flywheel at the same time as the clutch. You can get to one if you are doing the other, plus you really only change the clutch out every few years at the soonest and its not an easy or cheap job. Titanmotorsports.com is selling the fidanza for $303.50.

And I haven't noticed any increase in fuel efficiency since I've had the flywheel. :shrug:

fhalperformance

really?! the fidanza flywheel is like 18lbs lighter than the stock one on the 7th gen. it definitely variest depending on the car but you should get a little better gas mileage at least. i use to hit lift alot and i get 22 mpg typically. i got 17mpg on the highway (75mph) when i was driving around my veilside wing fully angled with widebody skirts sticking out 3 inches compared to the other bodywork (normal ffgt bumpers).

theUNYTEDone

yup...i'm at about 18-20 ish MPG...i dont think it's that bad, considering i have HUGE exhaust leaks...(which cancels out the horses that my air fresheners make)...lol...any ways to boost MPG's without sacrificing performance?