Full Race Manifold

___Scott___

gt_turbo":2wjwubik said:
any engineers out there care to explain what an optimal manifold should look like for turbos? also does this manifold clock the turbo down?
As an electronics engineer, I'm not really qualified to lecture on fluid dynamics. However, I do read from a source who is and his recommendation on turbo manifolds is to keep the runners _short_ and use a material that will not transfer heat out quickly. With those guidelines, the cast manifold isn't looking too bad. With HPC thermal barrier coatings it would look even better.

Zeus

yep if someone made a tubular cast manifold with an ewg port i would be all over it... unfortunately the ones what were made dont work with our cars or they are impoissble to find... shame cause i personally think that unless your looking for stupid hp they would be a great set up espescially for a daily driven or even just a street driven car

illGT4

The stock manifold rocks.

Good idea on the thermal coating scott, I think I'll put that down on the to do list.

Griffin

illGT4":1ywe2708 said:
The stock manifold rocks.

Good idea on the thermal coating scott, I think I'll put that down on the to do list.

Yes it does - which is why the WRC 3S's always used short runner cast manifolds.

gt_turbo

how about this manifold guys?
its only for t3/t4 applications tho
mani2.JPG

Zeus

gt_turbo":3rohflqg said:
how about this manifold guys?
its only for t3/t4 applications tho
mani2.JPG

thats whats his names mani... nocash? i think thats his board name.. cant remember his real name off the top of my head...

its a nice looking manifold... but there was no gaurantee that it was going to fit... he did say however that if it didnt he wuold give me a full refund

i think it was 1000 for mani down pipe and ewg tube if i remember correctly

furpo

im not the exhaust guru either but why would cars like this lun a long manifold when it is not the best?

docile.jpg

this is andre simon's 9sec drag car. it has not be run yet as is, that time was done with a full chassis so this should be an 8 sec car.

roger

Zeus

gt_turbo":1hti0a4o said:
on the website it was listed at $550 i believe.

hmm well maybe it was for the whole deal with ewg dump tube and downpipe... or maybe i converted it to CDN funds

furpo":1hti0a4o said:
im not the exhaust guru either but why would cars like this lun a long manifold when it is not the best?

docile.jpg

this is andre simon's 9sec drag car. it has not be run yet as is, that time was done with a full chassis so this should be an 8 sec car.

roger

i beleive a good long runner equal length manifold is best for power production... it equalizes out all the cylenders for best spool up...

however for a daily driver car they are hell! too much heat!

Griffin

If you look at the manifold shape teh exhaust flow is almost directly from the ports to the turbo in a straight line. They are probably keeping the exhaust velocity so dang high due to no restrictions and no bends that they don't loose a lot of heat. Plus I'm sure they have some kind of super slick ceramic coating in those pipes.

furpo

so very basicaly what is important is the amount of force (ie pressure difference) there is across the turbo. if the exhaust gas is allowed to cool it takes up less volume and is therefore at a lower pressure resulting in a lesser pressure ratio across the turbine. a combination of gas velocity and pressure is the force. so a long straight manifold can work as well as a short curvy one?

roger

furpo

would there be any problem if the turbo was mounted on an angle? ie the compressor side higher than the turbine side

roger

Zeus

furpo":3dievcrf said:
so very basicaly what is important is the amount of force (ie pressure difference) there is across the turbo. if the exhaust gas is allowed to cool it takes up less volume and is therefore at a lower pressure resulting in a lesser pressure ratio across the turbine. a combination of gas velocity and pressure is the force. so a long straight manifold can work as well as a short curvy one?

roger

as far as i know that is correct... but the problem would be mounting a long one like that... not all of us are running full out drag cars

Griffin

furpo":fb5h2ni9 said:

roger

Correct - exhaust velocity and pressure are what drive a turbo, so anything that lets you maintain them is inherently a good thing.