st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

k_trac

Sweet, let us know how it goes. I did the wiring in dec. so its a tad fuzzy, but you have way less pin swapping to do....bastard!

CMS-GT4

So I am taking the car to my welder for a week. He is going to build some brackets finish my fmic piping etc...

K_trac what did you do about the radiator?

CMS-GT4

Sorry, I mean hoses. What hoses did you use. Didn't you have to block off a inlet on the 185 rad?

k_trac

I used the 185 lower hose and the 205 upper hose. Had to trim the upper hose just a little, an inch or two shorter I think.

Thats it, wasnt any other changes I dont think....

CMS-GT4

The link stayed broken, so I bought a CD with them on it from some guy on ebay from the UK. If alltrac.net or anyone else want to host them, I will upload them.

CMS-GT4

Anything I should be careful about when bending the dipstick? I need to move it for the sake of my fmic piping. That or pick another path, and I am trying to go as short as possible.

I am also trying to install the dp bracket. This bolt on the block is hard as hell to get loose. I am sore from working out, maybe I need some rest before trying to get it loose again.

CMS-GT4

Also, where do you hook up a boost guage on a 205 engine?

EDIT: I also just picked up a 205 lsd cheap on ebay. They should be a nice addition to the car.

CMS-GT4

So here is an update.

Changed out some bits, ruined some bolts.

Here is a pic of the progress.

img00882ez.jpg

What did you do for a bracket for this? The 185 one does not match up.

img00985yn.jpg

CMS-GT4

Did your st205s have an egr? I think mine does. It is located by the map sensor. I am going to use block off plates if that is what it is.

brophats

hey your piping is looking similar to mine. i've just got one suggestion for you reflective thermal sleeving for that intercooler pipe that runs by the exhaust.
demetrius024.jpg

demetrius023.jpg

SuperWhite92

brophats":1jysklpn said:
hey your piping is looking similar to mine. i've just got one suggestion for you reflective thermal sleeving for that intercooler pipe that runs by the exhaust.
demetrius024.jpg

demetrius023.jpg

Keep in mind you're not only reflecting heat, but trapping heat too, and that the air inside that pipe is hotter than your engine bay.

brophats

actually its not that hot. my air temp in the manifold is right around ambient temp now. it made a over a 60 degree difference when i checked it with a scan tool

Demetrius

CMS-GT4

I have not decided on a path yet. I want to take the path that it is facing. I will also have water injection. Its more of a matter of if I can fit the piping down that way.

Acadian alltrac

hey guys just wondering if the 3gen tranny will fit the gear ratio of the st185 gear box and rear diff and is there any of the motor mounts did fit or none did ?? (will swap jdm 3gen as soon i get the parts needed) :shrug:

SuperWhite92

Acadian alltrac":156pncin said:
hey guys just wondering if the 3gen tranny will fit the gear ratio of the st185 gear box and rear diff and is there any of the motor mounts did fit or none did ?? (will swap jdm 3gen as soon i get the parts needed) :shrug:

The ST205 tranny bolts up no problem, and you can even use the st185 axles. The diff ratios are the same on both cars.

Acadian alltrac

Thanks Shaun, now do any one now about the motor mounts. I will get new one if they dont fit, now is the time to replace them since the motor is out (st 185 motor still in, refering to st 205 motor that is)

thanks againd for any info