Straight Intake

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

G'day Guys, quick question for ya's.

Im about to move the battery to the boot, and make a straight intake.
Im going to use 3" pipe, along with a 1" flange off the side for a plumback, but what size is the PCV pipes leading back to the manifold? 1/2"

Also, what size is the turbo inlet (CT26/CT20B) i believe its 2.5" and the AFM is very close to 3"

OlyST185

heres mines.
intake1.jpg

ChrisD

Thats a good idea too. Ive seen a few people go in the fender with good results. I think I'm just going to weld up an aluminum intake box soon since mine is open. Anything to keep those annoying intake temps down! I think wrapping the intake pipe could also be effective, I might try that. :smokes:

alltracman78

chris_dittrick":19jr677e said:
I think wrapping the intake pipe could also be effective, I might try that. :smokes:

Yeah, I'm thinking about making some kind of shield for it. If that doesn't work, I might try wrapping it.

[Havn't actually done the mod yet, just gathering supplies and ideas.]

RIalltrac

I have a stainless straight intake on right now, that sucker does get pretty hot, I was thinking of getting a ceramic coating like what they do on exhausts. What do you think? too much or not enough to stop the heat transfer

goldfish

Try something out as this is what i noticed.... if i am sitting in traffic, or just have the car parked while i run into the store - then the intake pipe gets hot because the air around it wams it up. Now, run you car - hard even, and immediately get out and touch the pipe - mine was cool. So, in my opinion, the main gain is for when you are sitting and not running enough air through it to keep the heat out. Ceramic coating may be good, but i tend to lean towards actual heat shielding like the thermotec heat wrap that is on my intercooler pipes. It's not as bling though...

Aluminum will transfer the heat fast - so even if you dont wrap it , it will probably get cool within the first couple minutes of actual driving. I want to wrap it for overkill :-D and I also just plan on wrapping the AFM as well becuase that has a lot more mass to store more heat which would take longer to discipate when driving again.

Just my thoughts and ideas....i'm no expert

enzytebob

very creative setups :)

I still have my stock crooked intake :( with an HKS air cleaner sitting just aft of the strut tower inside the engine bay. I always wondered if it was possible to reverse the position of the vent just above it so that it would act as an air intake to suck in even more air and help the stock intake duct which I have aimed at the air filter element Has anyone done this?