against 3000 gt

thebish5thgen

This is purely a curiosity question....has anyone raced a 3000 gt on the street? or even at the track? I see um all over the place here and when I get my car back I'd love to take one on.....but am I just settin myself up for embarrasment? as best I can tell the cars are similar....and with my intake.....exhaust.....ceramic clutch......and mbc pumpin up to about 12-14 psi or 1 bar....the specs would be higher than a stock one..... anyways just wanna hear some stories or insights into it.

MrWOT

I've encountered a few on the street, but very few that were much past stock in my own experiences. :shrug:

Conan

A stock twin turbo version will be faster than a stock all-trac, however not very much faster, the car weights 1700+ kg! ;)

etantshi

Probably going to come down to the driver. I have a friend who has a stock one and when I first got my all trac I raced him and had him off the line and all the way through 3rd until I hit boost cut.

Mafix

woo hoo doing this poat again...
in my case i haven't lost to one yet, and i've raced several. now i have come across just as many that i wouldn't race.

jlspec

Stock for stock, we don't stand a chance. Stock 1/4 times for 3000GT VR4 are mid/high 13. Lightly modded 3000 gt VR4 are still faster then our modded GT-Four. As for the 3000gt SL, they run with civics. Reason as to why some VR4 are slow is because of maintenances. Four wheel drive and 6 cylinders twin turbo, parts don't come cheap. Just look at how many of our gt four is either just sitting or running like crap. I love my gt four/alltrac, but facts are facts.

theUNYTEDone

jlspec":1fc4sq1y said:
Stock for stock, we don't stand a chance. Stock 1/4 times for 3000GT VR4 are mid/high 13. Lightly modded 3000 gt VR4 are still faster then our modded GT-Four. As for the 3000gt SL, they run with civics. Reason as to why some VR4 are slow is because of maintenances. Four wheel drive and 6 cylinders twin turbo, parts don't come cheap. Just look at how many of our gt four is either just sitting or running like crap. I love my gt four/alltrac, but facts are facts.
+1
these were in the running with the MKIV supras, Z32's, and skylines in their hay-day.

Mafix

the prototype one for the fastest one in the world sold not too long ago. 764WHP AWD. the thing was so nuts it would not idle or run on anything close to pump gas.

theUNYTEDone

Mafix":24pnober said:
the prototype one for the fastest one in the world sold not too long ago. 764WHP AWD. the thing was so nuts it would not idle or run on anything close to pump gas.

wow...i wonder what type of weight savings they threw at that thing...did they go plastic body/etc like most serious draggers do?

i know it's off-topic, but is the AMS EVO8 (900 something AWHP) plastic?
9 second sunnuvagun. :shoots:

Mafix

not plastic...not allowed. and the 3kgt that sold was stock bodied with kit and hood in fiberglass. but the drag cars are either fiberglass or carbon fiber. jsut all painted.

theUNYTEDone

Mafix":1pogjrq1 said:
not plastic...not allowed. and the 3kgt that sold was stock bodied with kit and hood in fiberglass. but the drag cars are either fiberglass or carbon fiber. jsut all painted.

hah, thanks mafix.
figured as much it'd be SOME non-metal material.
is plastic not allowed because of the way it shatters?

Denver_whiteST185

Mafix":36pdtz40 said:

I knew/lived with the guy that owned the trust/greddy prototype, if thats what you were talking about. the reason why i ran like crap is cause it was tuned for denver altitude and then a guy bought it and drove it to the west coast without tuning it. last i heard, they blew the engine.

//Zee-Roh//

I'll give you VR4's are fast... But I dunno about THAT fast... I mean I got eaten in one in my 91 Celica GT, but it wasn't as bad as racing a 3rd gen Rex...that made me look like I was going backwards LOL.

stock for stock of course we're gonna lose: 2 less cylinders, 1 less turbo, lower compression....duh?

We're talking about 2 different classes here: That's like pitting a v8 against a 3cyl...

Hotrodhendrix

SL 1gen 222hp 2nd gen 218hp
VR4 1gen run 300hp 2nd gen &3rd gen 320hp

Stock 3000gt SL vs stock alltrac = Alltrac (would be a good race)
Stock VR4 vs Stock alltrac = VR4 easy (thats what happens when you have 120 more hp.)

Ohh and they are one of the best looking cars to ever be produced..

just my.02 :smokes: