1990-93 glass sunroof?

teej

Just wondering if there was ever a glass power (slide, tilt, etc.) sunroof for the 5th gens, or if an aftermarket one exists.

teej

I did a search for comments and topics on such a thing, but only got one relevant hit, and that person was wondering the same thing (only he merely it on the side in a post about something totally different).

toayoztan

I don't know about aftermarket, but i do know off the factory line, no 5th gen (in the USA anyway) came with glass.

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

toayoztan":36gmva65 said:
I don't know about aftermarket, but i do know off the factory line, no 5th gen (in the USA anyway) came with glass.

Bryan

+1
and plus one more for the coolness factor.
and im sorry if it's dumb, but what's the differnt between moon/sunroof?
is a moonroof see-through like tC's?

teej

theUNYTEDone":3j821dxr said:
toayoztan":3j821dxr said:

Bryan

+1
and plus one more for the coolness factor.
and im sorry if it's dumb, but what's the differnt between moon/sunroof?
is a moonroof see-through like tC's?
I've wondered the same, but I think the solid roofs are sunroofs and the glass ones are moonroofs. Who knows...

You know, the only problem with replacing the solid roof with a glass one is that cars with glass ones have sliding shade to let the sun in/out, and not the wind/rain. The 90-93s don't have those. There is that matching headliner piece, though, that's attached to the solid roof. I'm sure you could modify that or something.

By the way, there was an ad in the forums for a '91 'Trac with a manual glass sunroof... or was it a moonroof? Agh! :shoots:

toayoztan

The way I see it and came to know it as:

Sunroof: One solid moving piece, usually you don't see through this.

Glass sunroof: Like the s13 240sx, it's still one solid piece, but made of glass. You move this manually yourself with a clamp, etc. It sometimes comes with a liner that you have to manually remove yourself, held on by clips.

Moonroof: This involves two pieces. The sliding liner and then of course the sliding glass piece. The only benefits I see to this is being able to have the sun shine in without having wind come in. It's useless at night and in the rain. I personally don't see any benefit in a moonroof over a sunroof :shrug:

Bryan

QIK_GT4

I think glass roofs are aftermarket... if you see an alltrac with a glass roof it most probably didnt have a sun roof in the first place and had the glass type sunroof installed. coz arent most aftermarket (angle grinder style chop and fill) sunroofs make of glass arent they... well to my knowledge most cheap sunroof jobs are the pop-up and non sliding glass roof ones.

bloodMoney

Okay let me clarify this for you guys.

MOONROOF- metal with no sliding inner piece to let the sun in.

SUNROOF- glass piece with a sliding inner headliner to give you the option of sun or not, hence, "sun" roof.

sunroofs can be electronic or manual depending on whether it is a factory option or not. From the factory, they usually are electronic. The earlier versions of factory sunroofs were manual. Now, most manual sunroofs come from the aftermarket shops that are willing to take a sawsall to your roof.

-bloodMoney

maxaud

bloodMoney":3hozhj8l said:

SUNROOF- glass piece with a sliding inner headliner to give you the option of sun or not, hence, "sun" roof.

sunroofs can be electronic or manual depending on whether it is a factory option or not. From the factory, they usually are electronic. The earlier versions of factory sunroofs were manual. Now, most manual sunroofs come from the aftermarket shops that are willing to take a sawsall to your roof.

-bloodMoney
that's how I have always known it.

teej

What about the 4th and 6th gen. Celicas? Anyone know if a glass top from one of those would fit on a 5th gen.?

Hammer

maxaud":5q8u15b4 said:
bloodMoney":5q8u15b4 said:

-bloodMoney

Actually, you have it backwards. Go into a car dealership and you'll find that they are pretty much all called moonroof's these days, and they are glass with a sliding headliner...

toayoztan

Hammer":2wdutfc9 said:
maxaud":2wdutfc9 said:
bloodMoney":2wdutfc9 said:

-bloodMoney

Actually, you have it backwards. Go into a car dealership and you'll find that they are pretty much all called moonroof's these days, and they are glass with a sliding headliner...

+1

Like I said...moonroof has glass, with sliding liner (usually, sometimes it's removed manually like the older 240sx). Sunroof is a solid panel, no glass.

And according to the alltrac window sticker (from the one Gary posted in Club Chat a little while ago), it says "Power Tilt/Slide Sunroof"

Bryan

bloodMoney

Don't mind me guys... :oops: I actually looked at the window sticker of our new RSX and you guys are right... I'm bassackwards as usual

-bloodMoney

bloodMoney

I'm in the garage almost every night until at least ten trying very hard to get her up and running right... :twisted: My personal deadline is the end of october to get her on the road. At the most. :D

-bloodMoney

WarTowels

Back from the dead!

Bryan

I have seen a 5th gen Celica with a GLASS sunroof/moonroof and it was defiantly stock... else it would be the most unique and obscure 'upgrade' ever.

It was at my school. If I see it again, I'll snap pics.

EDIT:

Quick google search returned others with it:

1990 GT-S with "Manual flip-up glass sunroof"

Celica8.JPG

Celica10.JPG

I kinda doubt it's after market. Would seem weird.

-Towels

Betcha its not stock, probably an aftermarket company. If you want to
verify it, pull the headliner. The factory roofs actually have an entire tray
that bolts up to the roof. I am guessing that the pictured car isnt a
factory installed item. You usually see the aftermarket ones in the lower
trim cars. Toyota didnt option up the lower models (ST or GT) very often.
So if you wanted a sunroof the dealer had an aftermarket company install them. Usually the power operated ones are higher quality then the simple push up ones. I have the brochures from the day and a glass roof was NEVER an option in any trim level.