Street Kills

91redst185

I dont really race my car because it is stock and i spend too much fixing the shit that breaks, but I was going to pick up some friends and this 95ish V6 firebird wanted to race. doin brake stands and shit. so i decided to do a 3000 launch so i would get home ok. and by the time i shifted in to 3rd he was atlease 5 car lenghts back. I thought those things would be better than that.
not too interesting but just lookin for stories.

MrWOT

Well, it's a kill.... but not the way you'd think, but it's one of my favs to tell, just because 8) .

This happened about 5 years ago, mid june of 1999. I was 17 at the time and kicking much ass in my inherited, modded 1991 Taurus SHO (don't laugh, it was fast :evil: ). Me, being the cocky prick I was, absolutly loved to race, since everyone just looked and saw a taurus they were always willing :wink: suckers..... Then one day, this happened.....

I had just picked up 2 of my friends and we were naturally out cruising, picking on civics, firebirds, camaros, mustangs, whatever came along (I was pushing about 380whp at the time with a 8psi supercharger thanks to my father, was his previous toy). And we came to one of my favorite strips, Taylor Blvd.... Now, taylor is a PERFECT place to race, flat as a board, no stoplights or signs, and no place for police to hide for about a 4 mile stretch, it's a beautiful thing. So, I'm at the interection to turn onto taylor and a white dodge ram 1500 pulls up next to me... It's got quiet exhaust, guy inside looks to be about 40ish so I dismiss him and go back to yakking with my friends waiting for the light to change. It turns green and I take off normally (no wheels spinning etc) and the dodge is staying right next to me... hmmm... So I glance over at the guy and he's got this bored look on his face, so I decide to teach him not to look down on SHO's. I nailed it, literally starting burning rubber at 55 in 3rd, and took off like a goddamn bullet, 70, 80, 90, 100mph in a few seconds, I look in the mirror and it looks like he's trying to catch up, but he's way behind, like 8-9 car lengths, so I start laughing, and so do my friends when all of a sudden (I swear to god this is what it sounded like) a sonic boom echoes from behind us and I look in the mirror just in time to see the white ram flying by me at about 160+mph :shock: . I just sit there in absolute numb shock for like 2 mins just staring straight ahead and driving, and the car is completely quiet. So I reach the light at the end of taylor and there's the white ram, right next to me with his window rolled down..... He tells me to pull over because he wants to look at MY car :twisted: I'm like 'SURE!' so he takes a look and is suitably impessed with the mods and asks me if I want a peek under the hood of him ram.....

'Hell yes!'

He pops the hood, AND the teaneu (spelling?) cover on the bed... fricking modded viper v10, electronically controlled exhaust cutouts right after the header collectors (remember this was 1999, totally unheard of) and enough nitrous oxide in the bed of his truck to run the engine off of it alone for 5 minutes! (according to him, and I believed it, at least 7 full size (like oxygen tank size) bottles back there):shock: :shock: :shock:

Let me say that again.... The man had a Viper V10, heavily modded (he claimed 10.5:1 compression).... With manifolding and a standalone system so he could shut off external airflow and run it ENTIRELY on nitrous oxide and 110avgas on a COMPLETLY seperate standalone system. Fricking blew me away..... Anyway, after I stopped staring we said our goodbyes and he took off. And that's basically the story of how I got into modding on my own... But damn... I'll NEVER forget that guy and his Ram 1500... ultimate sleeper, amazing power and tuning....

Anyway, that's my story, and definetly an experience that changed my life, for the better 8)

Griffin

Back when I was going to college (about 1995/1996) I had a friend with a Gallant VR4. He had about 20K into it (custom turbo setup with a bigger turbo, nitrous, intake manifold, cams, some sort of AFR, boost controller, etc.) It was debadged and had tinted windows. We called it the frog (because it basically hopped when he launched it). We put a new tranny in like every other month, but he more than paid for it with money from racing - it was a low 11 second car. It was awsome because he would consistently bait mustangs and camaros into racing him for cash, and I swear there was not a single domestic sportscar driver in Texas that you couldn't force into a race simply by saying "you gonna let a lil old rice burner intimidate you like that?". What was awsome is that the domestic guys normally had flowmasters and a K&N filter, and MAYBE a lumpy cam or some such and they just would get horribly owned.

It was a hell of a car.

dave

We had a meet in the UK recently, about 20 Fours turned up and we went for a little convoy around the Lake Distrct, after losing half the convoy we pulled into a petrol station to regroup and find out where everyone else was

As we were there, 2 new Bently Continental GT's pulled up together (probaly the entire annual owners club outing LOL :D ) and as we got ready to leave, so did they, after a minute one had got past some of the Fours and was right up behind me with 2 Fours still infront, I dropped it into 3rd and floored it for 5 or 10 seconds going up through 4th, past the other two quickly (who caught us later after doing 3 figure silly speeds) We did this 5 or 6 times, each time I managed to pull a length or so on the Bently, so then I let him infront and pulled out on his tail, and when he went for it, so did I, and I was able to close on him each time, though not by much admittedly, but enough to pronounce him Foddered :) Not bad against a 550hp 6litre V12 even if it is a heavy hector :)

He was taking on a power fc'd with 850's, TD06 powered, FMIC'd ST205 - that runs a 12.7 @ 1.0bar :)

illGT4

dave":33y19imw said:
We had a meet in the UK recently, about 20 Fours turned up and we went for a little convoy around the Lake Distrct, after losing half the convoy we pulled into a petrol station to regroup and find out where everyone else was

As we were there, 2 new Bently Continental GT's pulled up together (probaly the entire annual owners club outing LOL :D ) and as we got ready to leave, so did they, after a minute one had got past some of the Fours and was right up behind me with 2 Fours still infront, I dropped it into 3rd and floored it for 5 or 10 seconds going up through 4th, past the other two quickly (who caught us later after doing 3 figure silly speeds) We did this 5 or 6 times, each time I managed to pull a length or so on the Bently, so then I let him infront and pulled out on his tail, and when he went for it, so did I, and I was able to close on him each time, though not by much admittedly, but enough to pronounce him Foddered :) Not bad against a 550hp 6litre V12 even if it is a heavy hector :)

He was taking on a power fc'd with 850's, TD06 powered, FMIC'd ST205 - that runs a 12.7 @ 1.0bar :)

haha. that's awesome.

OT: is your TD06 running the internal w/gate?

TexasAlltrac

Back in 1999, coming home from work one night, I was driving my 1987 Celica GTS that had a st165 conversion with a fmic, a bunch of electronics, and was fairly built up internally and running around 1 BAR. I was using a built CT20b turbo. It was never dyno'd or tracked, but it was fast as hell once the tires hooked up. It had wierd gearing in it that allowed me to run 120mph in 3rd which was perfect considering the traction issues. The car was built for me by MZM International.

It just looked like a POS though with stock rims (falken tires however), faded and peeling paint, etc. Total sleeper except for the exhaust noise (strait 3" from the turbo back with nothing inbetween) which sounded like Armeggedon. And the turbo spool was even louder.

This car was called the "Millenium Falcon" by my friends as it looked like a peice of junk, sometimes ran correctly, and when it did it was just insane. You could downshift into 4th at 70mph and break the tires loose at less than 4k RPM.

But back to the kill....

So anyhow, I pull up next to an AWD 911TT with some guy and his girl with him in the car. He starts egging me on, revving and all. She is laughing her rear off and saying something to the effect of "leave the poor little guy alone". I figure he will smoke me, but decide to run anyhow in hopes that I can atleast scare him some. It is a matter of honor at this point.

We launch from the light and over the freeway intersection (really good concrete with good traction). He has two lengths on me at the otherside of the freeway, but then third-gear hooks up nicely on my shift (60mph or so). A few seconds later, I am over the 100mph mark and next to the 911. I shift to fourth and pull him out to 140 before we have to brake for the next set of lights. I had about 4 lengths or more on him before I threw out the anchor.

At the next light, there was silence from the 911. No laughter, no revving. So I lean out the window, and being the smart-ass I was at the time, ask them what it was like to get smoked by a 12 year old, 2000$ 4banger (the celica looked like it atleast).

"F*@k you" was the response.

Then the girl flipped me off as they ran the light and made a U-turn.

The memories of the kills I made in that car over the years I had it made me come back to the celica last March when I had the money to buy another performance car. My Alltrac is still a slug by comparison (but into the 14s now), but has promise. There was something special about that old 87 with the JDM 165 in it though. Ahh...memories.

MrWOT

Woo! New kill this morning, heading back to school this morning (8:00am'ish) I encountered a later model prelude (92-94?) who was rather 'upset' that when the lanes came to merge as we entered the freeway he was unable to zip around me. Now he really didn't do anything for about 10 minutes of driving, but when I got to my exit, he exited too... hmmmmm.... :wink: So we reached the levee road that stretches for a good 30 miles until getting into Lodi area (if you live in CA you might know where this is) and it's 2 lanes, with dotted line in the center and no traffic for miles :evil: So I'm going about 80 cruising, and he starts riding my ass... I'm like fine... pass me. But he doesn't he just sits there on my riding my tail. So I'm in 5th gear, about 3800 rpm, and I give it a little juice to open up some space, he suddenly decides that it's time to race, jumps into the other lane and floors it.

He DID get the jump on me since I didn't notice him until he was side by side with my car and I hadn't started building boost yet, but as he jumped out in front of me I gunned it and in about the space of 5 seconds I reeled him in, and passed him like the little turd he was 8) He gave up after we hit 120's and I was still pulling.

Toby J

Love the kill stories! Especially your Dodge Ram experience MrWot. What kinda wheels you got these days?

MrWOT

1988 ST165, I suppose I should add that to my sig. A list of mods will be forthcoming by about mid june (hopefully), I don't want to spoil the surprise, this will depend on the weather however, which lately has been crap so I've been unable to test fit the pieces I'm making. Mainly because I don't have a garage and I need to tear down the block and rering it :x guy I bought it from said it was a fresh rebuild on a 3 yr old motor, but it it's a fresh build, I'm Mary Poppins, it's got serious blowby issues, and high boost doesn't help that issue :p

Mafix

oh i like this article...lovely kills all round. i got two yesterday in the same stretch of road. a 02 VWGTI 1.8t as when it was all over i noticed that it's one of my friends cars. Those things are quick for stock! And then an easy crapalier z24 kill. that one was just amusing. i've got so many street racing stories it's not even funny. at one time at "metro" i was running a nicely sized group of street racers. but that was then. can't be caught doing that stuff now. i just give people that egg me on what coming.

gpmarzan

when i first got my alltrac on the road (about 4 months ago), i was just crusing on this 2 lane road trying to save gas and not hit boost. well i was on the fast lane cause trucks were on the right lane. theres stop lights about every few miles and when its a red and turns green, i was a slow lil bitch cause i was shifting around 3k avoiding boost. i wasnt that slow accelerating but i was slow enought for this acura cl that got behind me. he was riding my tail for a few miles. in my head i said "im not gonna gun it just because youre tailing me, but i dare you to over take me when its clear." may i add my car at the time had a rusted up exhaust sys and had holes everywhere that made the car sound like shit. when the slow lane was clear he quickly changed lane to overtake my car. i saw him as soon and he switched lane so i just gunned it. i just took off. he had to switch back to my lane cause trucks were up ahead and he knows he cant pass me. he just had this confused looked when i looked at him from my rear view mirror. gotta love it!!

Griffin

New kill tonight :D Was driving at about 70 mph eastbound on the 91 fwy to test out the diff cushion and put some miles on the clutch when a dark green (maybe black) mustang GT showed up (looked like a mid to late 90s model). He paced me for a while 2 lanes over, untill we got to some open fwy with no cars in front of us. I wasn't really expecting to race but he put his hazards on so I dropped down to 4th gear, and waited for him. Sure enough a second or two later he gunned it. I followed suit and promptly pulled quite a few carlengths on him and blew an intercooler hose off at about 105 :( Thankfully he seemed to feel appropriately beaten, because he rapidly merged over behind me and then took the next exit off the highway.

Not the best kill ever but I'll take it. It was good on one sense though, as I am now certain I need to get some T-Clamps.

Griffin

Raced a Supra TT last night from a roll. (not my idea - would have been much to my advantage to go from a stop, but with the new clutch this is probably better anyways)

He had cams, full exhaust, AEM, built auto tranny, and a few other things. Over 400 RWHP. I had a passenger in the car with me watching my laptop and 30 PSI (sustained - tightening the existing clamps seems to have done the trick)

Anyways we went from a roll at about 20 which sucked - too high to bother downshifting into first and too low in second for my turbo to spool fast, so I dealt with the lag. He jumped about a car and a half on me right off the bat, but then the turbo spooled and I stayed even with him. Every time I shifted I lost just the teeniest bit of ground, but basically I stayed even from about 40 - 80 or 90.

So not a kill, but I was very happy. His Supra is a low 12s car and I would have had an advantage from a stop.

As a side note - you just have to love cold weather when you have a turbo - the cars are just soooooo damn strong

Toby J

Dave, you did okay! Given the incredible amount of torque Supra's are renowed for having, even during a rolling start they will frighten a Skyline GTR into submission. Keep the kills coming, they're all great!

MrWOT

A little TOO strong, I'm about an hour east of Sacramento getting into the mountains, at about 2000ft, temp is currently 36F. Makes driving on the roads exciting since sometimes you come around a corner into a patch of ice, usually with the turbo spooled going uphill :wink: I've seen all sorts of people wreck today, I however, am not one of them :D start to lose traction, hit the gas :smokes: gotta love AWD. I think a rear dif is in my future soon however, along with a jdm 86 165 trans if I can find one, someone posted on here they came with a locking dif! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2220

Kyoto

Yer the first 2274 165s came with a manually locking centre diff instead of the Torsen VC unit. From what i gather for everyday driving the Torsen's better but in ice and off-road the lockers start to shine. Here is the page with the details: http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/Japanese GT-Fours.htm#ST165

Transfer.jpg