Powder coating

7thGenDragon

OK,

a thought recently crossed my mind,

Would it be possible to powder coat the TMIC on a ST165? are there any drawbacks of it? Would there be any gain from having it powdercoated?

turbo4wd

Powdercoating something is for purely cosmetic reasons.. There would be no performance gain.. If anything it may hurt performance if a person were to put it on a A2A heat exchanger.. But since you're talking about the W2A heat exchanger of the st165, I think you'd be ok.. I've seen people paint their 165 intercoolers without any problems..

toayoztan

I don't know about powdercoating, but people have said it's okay to paint A2A intercoolers (specifically, they told me FMIC anyway) and won't hurt performance. Don't know if that's true or not. A little offtopic for you since you have 165, but just thought i'd throw this out here!

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

toayoztan":2ih2daus said:
I don't know about powdercoating, but people have said it's okay to paint A2A intercoolers (specifically, they told me FMIC anyway) and won't hurt performance. Don't know if that's true or not. A little offtopic for you since you have 165, but just thought i'd throw this out here!

Bryan

i heard of GReddy or someone putting out a black intercooler, and they tested it vs a regular one. said to have no drawbacks of absorbing heat or anything.

as for powdercoating the top mount 165 cooler, i'd say not to waste time, unless you intend on prettying up the rest of your engine bay like that. it'll add weight, too. not much, but still something to keep in mind.

edv-tek

The ic in a 165 is a little difficult to ceramic coat. You would have to separate the internal radiator with the outer housing. You are better off heat wraping it or an aluminium heat sheild underneath. Plus a bigger heat exchanger and pump running continously.....would be nice.

toayoztan

MetalliKAT97":29mq3gri said:
What about ceramic coating something like the I/C?

better/worse/no change at all/no point?

I wouldn't suggest this. You have to remember, ceramic coating is usually used for stuff that gets hot and you DON'T want it to radiate the heat off into the engine bay. Well, it kind of works the opposite way too. If you ceramic coat the intercooler, it may hinder the air helping it to cool the IC down, and to add, you'll just be trapping in the heat inside the IC because of the ceramic coating.

This makes sense because when you ceramic coat exhaust components, you're ideally wanting to trap the heat in for two purposes. First, so the heat doesn't radiate and soak the engine bay hot. Secondly, because exhaust gases "move" along better at higher temps (or so i was told and read and heard and...you get the point).

Bryan

Gary

I think she meant coating the exterior of ST165 W/A IC.
Not the core, but the exterior of the IC to protect the water from warming up by the heat in the engine bay.
It should work the same way as wraping it with heat shielding material.