st165 vs 87 rx7 na

gpmarzan

So i got curious tonight thinking if my car was faster than my friends rx-7. He took me for a ride about a week ago and it felt like his car pulled harder than mine, which made me think that his car is probably faster. Tonight, i gave him a call so we can do a quick few runs in the freeway.

On the onramp, in 3rd gear, heard him punch it, so i did also. Lets say I passed him pretty easily.
Going about 60-65, i was in front waiting for him to punch it. Once he did, i downshifted to 3rd and i slowly pulled away and gave up after we got up to about 110. I thought he was gonna pass me when i first realized he punched it because he was coming up pretty fast, but my car just pulled and he couldnt pass me.
Then the last run he was next to me, going maybe 70-80 i dont remember. I think he tried telling me 3rd gear pull but i knew i'd be on the top of 3rd gear so I downshifted to 4th. I was pulling away and I even heard him downshift to 3rd.

At the end we chatted and he said, "i told you your car is faster, but i kept up with you though." I never tell people that my car is fast because i dont think it is that fast. I always give others the benefit of the doubt when talking about 'whos car is faster,' but it sure does feel good when you come out on top. :smokes:

Sleeka_89

Hahaha, goodstuff. So that would be a series 4 RX7 13B n/a? Any mods to his car? Thoses things are pretty rev happy but without the turbo on the side i would be surprised if he did beat you. ALLTRAC FTW :D

syko says

it seems like that rwd cars or even fwd cars pull harder than awd cars. is it just me? rather than just pushing or just pulling we push and pull at the same time. it might be just me, but instead of feeling the pull and going nowhere, we actually go somewhere due to traction. i dunno :roll: :shrug:

gpmarzan

MrWOT":1n32ls0r said:
Just watch out if he builds the motor, the N/A 13b can be mean when ported properly :smokes:
I totally have full respect to his car and that engine. I kinda want an FC myself. The rotary is an incredible design. A 1.3L engine that can produce crazy amount of power.

gpmarzan

syko says":3hsw68xy said:
it seems like that rwd cars or even fwd cars pull harder than awd cars. is it just me? rather than just pushing or just pulling we push and pull at the same time. it might be just me, but instead of feeling the pull and going nowhere, we actually go somewhere due to traction. i dunno :roll: :shrug:
To me, i think its all about if you are the one in the passenger or drivers seat. Being in the passenger seat at wot makes it seem like the car you are in is faster than when you drive the car your own. I seem to feel that all the time in my bros 240. Those cars pull hard, but i seem to notice it a lot more when im in the passengers seat. I guess because i dont have the full feel of the car w/out the steering wheel in my hand.

//Zee-Roh//

If you DO race a faster rx7 than you, tell him this:

"It may be faster than mine today, but when you blow an apex seal tomorrow I guarantee you I'll beat you."

P.S. I've had 3 2nd gen rx-7's....so don't call me a "hater" They just LOVE to blow engines....hmph.

Kyoto

This would have been a different story if your friend was running a 13BT. They are seriously quick. Good work though.

BTW, apparently despite the 1.3L displacement rotaries are equivalent to double their dispacement, so 2.6L.

Someone with more knowledge can elaborate further...

grip addict

boosted rotaries hate apex seals... but na's don't have nearly the same problems. i'm at 212k on my s3, i have a friend that went 257 on his s4 until the motor finally gave out.

think about it this way, a s4 rx7 stock has 146 e-shaft hp, and should weigh ~2600, plus whatever options. what do you think the exhaust and safc adds... maybe 20 hp? not really surprised you beat him.

his car vs your stock would be a much closer race, though.

and lets not get started on the displacement argument :p