anyone using a Turbo XS type S?

Cormudgen

anyone using a turb XS type s BOV. when I bought the car this was included but not installed. He had a nipple welded on to the intercooler piping right below where the piping connects into the bottom side of the top mount. He simply had it plugged off when I bought it. To install it I rigged up a serries of elbows and piping to have it mount there. I then put a vaccum tube from the nipple of the bov to a nippple coming off the intake manifold. I have the nut on the bov loosensed nearly all the way and still get no bov. I was looking for other suggestions on how to mount it.

Also, i've read again and again that our cars came with no type of stock bov. Is this true or is there some type of bypass valve somewhere on the car. Wouldnt that cause compresor surge and be quite bad for the turbo? The turbo on my car is blown and I'm wondering if the fact that the previous owner had no bov installed has something to do with it.

Mark

btw: the picture below shows the bov I got with the car. It came with no flanges, all I received was the blue item out of the box sitting by itself. That is the reason I have it installed the way I do.
TXS_TYPE%20_S_BOV.jpg

scemracing

I actually had one on my St165 for a while it sounded great was kinda loud but not annoying. I ended up selling it and getting a Greddy type-s cause I love the sound of them. I did not ever have a problem with it studdering or dying with it on there though.

RIalltrac

in that picture you have, I would assume that one of those two tubes they have next to the actual bov would need to be welded onto the I/C, then you would attach the bov to that mount. When you say nipple I think of something small like a vacuum hose. I doubt that would be large enough to move enough air through the bov. Probably why your not getting any response from it.

Cormudgen

types.jpg

i agree that one of the tubes layig next to it probably should have been welded to the intercooler piping to be used as an adapter. I dont have that part so I have the part circled in green inserted into a radiator type hose that is inserted into the nipple(around a 1" circumfrence) coming off the intercooler piping.

The nipple circled in red comiing off the bov is what I have the vaccum hose connected to which goes into the throttle body.

I did the maroon circling to illustrate that I only had that piece.

Mark

scemracing

you said in your first post that you have the the nut on the bov loosensed nearly all the way and still get no bov. I have used this blow off valve on two different cars you dont adjust the nut on bov to change how it blows off you change it by adding or taking out spacers. if you loosened the nut on the top of the bov the threads are leaking and so you wont have the vacumn to open the bov. When i had mine on my st165 in nuetral I could get it to blow off at like 3000 rpm.
With that blow off valve with all the spacers in it will still blow off just fine so you
A) have a vacumn leak so you dont have enough vacumn to open it
B) the bov screws apart make sure it is tight same with the nipple
C) take the bov apart and clean it out by screwing the top off and inside should be a long spring maybe a couple of spacers and a brass piston.
D) if there is spacers in it take them out DO NOT ADJUST IT BY UNSCREWING THE TOP ONLY WITH SPACERS.

Cormudgen

scemracing":1108rclu said:
you said in your first post that you have the the nut on the bov loosensed nearly all the way and still get no bov. I have used this blow off valve on two different cars you dont adjust the nut on bov to change how it blows off you change it by adding or taking out spacers. if you loosened the nut on the top of the bov the threads are leaking and so you wont have the vacumn to open the bov. When i had mine on my st165 in nuetral I could get it to blow off at like 3000 rpm.
With that blow off valve with all the spacers in it will still blow off just fine so you
A) have a vacumn leak so you dont have enough vacumn to open it
B) the bov screws apart make sure it is tight same with the nipple
C) take the bov apart and clean it out by screwing the top off and inside should be a long spring maybe a couple of spacers and a brass piston.
D) if there is spacers in it take them out DO NOT ADJUST IT BY UNSCREWING THE TOP ONLY WITH SPACERS.

Thanks for the helpful post.

I have cleaned it already. I don't belive it had any spacer with it when I got it. Where are the "spacer"(washers I assume) supposed to go. I guess I should tighten the nut(thing you unscrew al the way to open it upand get to the sprign) back again.

935motorsports

The type S is very soft. You will need most of the spacers in to prevent stalling. You will unscrew the top half of the body by hand and it will pop open. Insert the desired spacers and screw it back on.

scemracing

935 have you acually tried using the type-s on a all-trac because I ran it on my car for a week before I put the spacers in and it didn't try to stall at all. I could accell. and hold the clutch in till it wouldn't make sound any more and it didn't even studder. It sounds a little bit better with the spacers and there wont be any chance of it leaking at idle but if doesnt have them I am sure he will be find till he goes to lowes or home depot and gets some washers.
the washers go under the spring in the brass piston. You could take the brass piston with you to a hardware store and get some washers for it.