All-Trac vs. MR2 Turbo vs. Stage IV Cobalt SS S/C

vip09

So a couple of my friends and I decided to do a 3-way highway race. Before we drove out to the highway, we were discussing how we thought the race would go... and we all agreed that it would probably in the air between the cobalt and mr2 on top end.. and my alltrac would fall behind. But I'll let you see the videos to find out what happened. We did two pulls, both from a 40mph kick. We stopped around 110mph on the first run and 135mph on the second run. Here are some specs on the cars..

'06 Cobalt SS S/C: Stage IV Intense motorsports kit (2.5" pulley, 60lb/hr injectors, ecu reflash, etc), ZZP Header, ZZP 3" non-cat downpipe, stock 2.5" exhaust with magnaflow muffler. Dynoed 275whp on mustang dyno before Header and DP. 20.5psi

'91 MR2 Turbo: Greddy TD06SH 20G turbo kit, 2.25" exhaust :(, 14psi.

'92 Celica All-Trac: Greddy TD06L2 20G turbo kit, 14psi.

Videos were taken from inside the Cobalt.

Race #1: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1201750978&n=2

Race #2: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1211814171

Here is a video from the drag strip of my All-Trac and the MR2 Turbo. I ran a 8.12 and he got an 8.5 I believe.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1047672545

alltracshoak

awesome vids. wow. first vid of the 3 car race, i see the mr2 but the second race, where was the mr2? you OWNED the cobalt the second round. congrats.

Qlynxer

Nice run man. I like how at the end of the 2nd vid the cobalt driver shouts out after gettting smoked by your car. :shock: I imagine many a driver have uttered somthing similar after gettin smoked by an all-trac. I thought heavy AWD cars weren't suppose to win from a roll? :D Chalk one up for the underdog!

Quan L

Sleeka_89

hahahaha, nice footage, its not a bad race between you two, you got him by a car length and a bit in the second vid though. Makes me wanna go out an race... :D

Sleeka_89

i just watched a couple of your other vids that you had with your gts, that thing sounds like its really reving hard and you smash those gears pretty hard :D . Just curious what sort of revs does it do 7500ish??

vip09

Sleeka_89":2j7t8429 said:
i just watched a couple of your other vids that you had with your gts, that thing sounds like its really reving hard and you smash those gears pretty hard :D . Just curious what sort of revs does it do 7500ish??

7500?? are you kidding? lol That engine is meant to rev HIGH. The stock rev limiter is 8400rpms. I had a standalone ems.. with rev limiter set at 8800 rpms.

vip09

theUNYTEDone":azxxbrj5 said:
only 275whp at 20.5 psi?!

20.5psi off that supercharger isn't the same as like 20psi off a gt35r turbo. Think of more like the vw guys pushing 20+ psi on their stock turbo and making close to 300hp.

Sleeka_89

vip09":wt3y2fck said:
Sleeka_89":wt3y2fck said:

7500?? are you kidding? lol That engine is meant to rev HIGH. The stock rev limiter is 8400rpms. I had a standalone ems.. with rev limiter set at 8800 rpms.
8800, thats unreal :shock: . No big end problems at those sort of revs?

vip09

Sleeka_89":s2jrmch5 said:
vip09":s2jrmch5 said:
Sleeka_89":s2jrmch5 said:

8800, thats unreal :shock: . No big end problems at those sort of revs?

Nope.. valve float doesn't start to occur until around 9200rpms. MWR (MonkeyWrench Racing) is revving to 9100rpms on their shop car. Completely stock 2zz engine with turbo kit putting out 425whp.

fhalperformance

its 404whp on 93 pump gas. i just read a magazines that bashed the celica engine like it was junk. things as bulletproof as the 3sgte if you do it right.

vip09

simonsaysyousuck":2wwbse0a said:
its 404whp on 93 pump gas. i just read a magazines that bashed the celica engine like it was junk. things as bulletproof as the 3sgte if you do it right.

The 2zz/7th gen celica gets put down by just about everyone... even on here and celicatech.

I remembered reading that after they made the 404whp, Matt took the car to the track and had turned the boost up a bit and was estimating power to be around 425whp. But yeah, the highest dyno was 404whp. That's pretty amazing for the 1.8L.

fhalperformance

especially with the number of runs on it. they did what like 100+ 3rd gear dyno pulls revved out over 9k with all these drag runs and the only wrong with the engine upon taking it appart was a stripped 3rd gear. theres a mrs with a k20 engine swap in a magazine on the newsracks i was looking at and it pretty much was a 3 page bash on the 2zz the guy had previously installed with a turbo. youd figure editors for these magazines wouldnt rely on second hand information.

theUNYTEDone

vip09":3eso9p8n said:
theUNYTEDone":3eso9p8n said:
only 275whp at 20.5 psi?!

20.5psi off that supercharger isn't the same as like 20psi off a gt35r turbo. Think of more like the vw guys pushing 20+ psi on their stock turbo and making close to 300hp.

ah...the supercharger fact slipped my mind while i wrote that comment...forgot about the HP robbing of the blower...sorreh! :doh: