kit vs DIY

WarTowels

Last time I checked (I could be wrong), but a real short shifter has different mechanical innards than just cutting a stock piece of metal and welding it back.

d1alltrac

Just cutting part of the top and rewelding won't shorten the throw as much. The TWM is longer below the ball which is the biggest thing that shortens the throw. On a custom one, you would have to cut/weld the top AND weld in a little piece to extend the bottom.

The TWM kit's biggest advantage is that it includes everything you'll need. Other than that, mainly just that it's great quality and it'll look better. (won't see much of it anyway)

You can get most of the stuff in the kit at any hardware store (longer bolts, washers) but the spacer would be pretty hard to come up with (the one in the kit is very nice, CNC'ed aluminum with the proper locating tabs and holes to accept the tabs on the original cup thing) Without the spacer there's a chance that the longer bottom section will hit the floor of the car.

Maybe someone who has done a custom short shifter will comment on what they did about the spacing.

88alltracohio

jprine01":1pgfqvy7 said:
TWM isn't just a shifter, it comes with spacers and other little junk that raises the whole little shifter platform up to increase the leverage. I have TWM and its really nice, well worth the cost in my opinion.

Thanks for the info d1. Sorry I forgot to say I found info from the search. I think it's just going to be easier to save up money and get the TWM.

- I guess I should search a little harder berfore I open up a new thread. Sorry :oops:

Gary

TWM isn't just a shifter, it comes with spacers and other little junk that raises the whole little shifter platform up to increase the leverage. I have TWM and its really nice, well worth the cost in my opinion.
Actually the spacers lift the shifter assembly up not to increase leverage but to make clearance for the longer bottom arm. The longer bottom arm and the shorter upper arm are the ones that really make the throw shorter.

gpmarzan

I got bored so I did this

For mine, I bought a cheapo aftermarket short shifter for a corolla from ebay. About 20 bucks shipped. Made a noticable difference in thow compare to my stock one, though its probably not as good as a TWM but its good enough. The only problem I had was that the shifter was pointing towards the passenger side so I had to heat and bend the rod to where I wanted it to be.